“Pleasant lunch, wonderful views”

Fonab Castle Hotel Brasserie
Ranked #13 of 56 Restaurants in Pitlochry
Cuisines: British
Good for: Local cuisine, Scenic view
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed January 25, 2014

Having been brought up in Pitlochry returned to take a relative for lunch. Particularly poignant for him as he worked in the Castle for 30 years when owned by Hydro Electric Board and was enthused to see its development and managed some reminiscing as well.

To the detail, good menu choice which was possibly my downfall. Retrospectively felt I ordered wrong dish. Both had soufflé starter which was light and tasty. I had the loin of venison which was good but not exceptional and felt the overall portion size for price was a bit disappointing. In contrast the Asian monkfish dish was outstanding......my error....wish I'd had this....really hit mark.

As designated driver, was restricted to one glass of wine when could have easily enjoyed the ambience of venue with a bottle or two. Felt the prices for glasses on high side but wasn't completely surprised.

The service throughout was pleasant and attentive.

Not sure if as a new venue any fixed price menus been considered but would potentially be a fair alternative. Will be interesting to see price ranges once Sandemans fine dining opens as for Brasserie with most mains between £15 and £22 and steaks higher and burger £13 other than keeping riff raff away may prove to pricey to get any repeat local clientele....maybe that's the agenda?

As an Edinburgh resident that visits area regularly I will return and would recommend for special occasions but not for a cheap lunch.

2  Thank Redrab1980
FonabCastleHotel, Manager at Fonab Castle Hotel Brasserie, responded to this reviewResponded January 27, 2014

Good afternoon!!

Thank you for leaving a wonder review on our page. I am really pleased that you enjoyed your visit to Fonab and the overall experience in the brasserie.

I would like to point out that as a company, we have neither an agenda or do we "try to keep the riff raff away." We welcome, look after and treat everyone in the same manor here at Fonab Castle.

Our pricing is based upon the local area and the surrounding restaurants. Our prices are by far not the most expensive and the pricing also reflects the fresh, locally sourced produce and preparation that goes into every single dish - we buy nothing in readily made. The wine is all mid range for the brasserie and again based upon prices for the local area and yet again we are not the most expensive.

We have Sandemans Fine Dining opening in February, which will have a menu Degustation as well as a table d'hote menu. The Brasserie has a table d'hote menu every Sunday for lunch. Personally we feel that the Brasserie a la carte menu works better as it gives you more choice as a customer. This is the general feedback that we receive.

We look forward to seeing you again on your return to Pitlochry

Reviewed January 24, 2014 via mobile

We had a fantastic meal in the brasserie during a fantastic night at the hotel. Food was amazing, had the best venison I've ever had in a restaurant and a chocolate fondant to die for, it was amazing!!! Service was perfect, the staff are all so lovely and very attentive. Look forward to using the brasserie again soon as we live fairly near the hotel. Look forward to the new fine dining restaurant opening. Will defo be recommending to all my friends and family.

FonabCastleHotel, Manager at Fonab Castle Hotel Brasserie, responded to this reviewResponded January 25, 2014

Good morning!!

Thanks for the great review. I am really pleased you enjoyed the Venison and Fondant. It's great to see the team looked after you as well.

We look forward to seeing you again in the near future in the Brasserie or in Sandemans.

Reviewed January 20, 2014

We stayed here for our honeymoon, so ate in the Brasserie several times.

Food was always very good, service was excellent and we were always well looked after.

Only criticism is the crockery, I had calf cheek which was amazing, but it game in a bowl which I personally think made the act of consuming it harder than it needed to be.

FonabCastleHotel, Manager at Fonab Castle Hotel Brasserie, responded to this reviewResponded January 21, 2014

Good morning.

Thank you for leaving a review on our Brasserie TripAdvisor page.

It's always great to read about our customers experiences and their feedback. The reason we use the bowls for the Ox Cheek, is that it comes with a Jus which would literally run off of a plate . I will, however, pass your comments onto our Head Chef and we will consider revisiting the crockery used for that particular dish on the menu.

We are pleased that you enjoyed the quality of the food and service for the team, and we look forward to seeing you again on your next visit to Pitlochry.

Reviewed January 18, 2014

Fonab Castle Hotel Brasserie, was an experience not just a meal.
From the warm welcome as we arrived, to the moment we left we were treated wonderfully. The staff obviously care about the food they serve, from presentation to taste the meal was amazing. A big thank you to Graham the Chef for the amazing food and to Matt the waiter for the friendly service. A wonderful evening which we hope to repeat soon. We are really looking forward to the opening of your new fine dinning restaurant but it is hard to see how you can improve on what you are doing already. David, 17th Jan 2014.

1  Thank David M

Good morning!!

Thank you for the amazing review.

It's great to hear that you enjoyed both the food and the service. The Kitchen and Front of House teams work extremely hard to ensure that our guests feel welcome and enjoy their visits, with great tasting food.

We look forward to seeing you again David M.

Reviewed January 5, 2014

My husband and I ate at this great restaurant on 2nd. January 2014. My husband had two starters,the soup of the day and the cheese soufflé both were very good they were washed down with two glasses of Pinot Grigio and again a great wine. I had the smoked haddock with potato and leak chowder , this was the best chowder I have ever tasted and would go back again just for a plate of this, but I will try something else as all the food on the menu looked great. There is also a choice on the lunch menu and the snack menu which also looked interesting. The restaurant was full which we were not surprised at. They also have a quiet lounge where you can have a drink and bring your dog in, which we did after our lunch. We will definitely be back next month and will book lots of time in advance to book at seat overlooking the loch. Overall a fantastic experience in both the food and location. Staff were very attentive but not overly our Italian Maitre'd (forgot to ask his name) was very helpful. Full marks to all!!

1  Thank Jeanette b
FonabCastleHotel, Manager at Fonab Castle Hotel Brasserie, responded to this reviewResponded January 9, 2014

Good morning!!

Thank you so much for the wonderful review. It's great to see that you enjoyed your food, service and over experience of Fonab Brasserie.

I will pass your great comments onto Salvatore regarding his service.

Please just give us a call and we will ensure you get a table with a view.

We hope to see you again soon!