“MUCH IMPROVED FROM A FEW YEARS AGO, BUT COULD HAVE DONE WITHOUT THE STRESS OF THEM NOT HAVING OUR BOOKING” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Fisher's Hotel

Fisher's Hotel
Ranked #10 of 18 Hotels in Pitlochry
Aberdeenshire
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 14, 2013

We’ve visited Pitlochry annually for about the last 24 years to take in a couple of the season’s plays at the wonderful Pitlochry Festival Theatre. For many years we always stayed at Fisher’s, as the location suited us really well to leave the car in the car park and walk everywhere.

A few years ago we had the worst experience ever at the hotel, and vowed we’d never return. It was like Fawlty Towers only worse on that occasion....much worse. From then on, we booked up for Scotland’s Hotel instead. Then when we were in Pitlochry again last year we noticed changes were taking place at Fisher’s and received an email advising me of a change of management etc, etc, so for our August 2013 stay I decided I would book again, and give it another go. On this occasion, I booked directly with the hotel.

We arrived to check in on Friday, and the receptionist had no record of our booking, despite me having the ‘Reservation Confirmation’ email, and indeed the ‘Pre-Stay Reservation Reminder’ in my hand – both sent to me directly from Fisher’s Hotel themselves, not any third party. Despite this, we were quizzed for several minutes as to who we booked through, and I was beginning to get a bit narked, especially as at that point we’d no idea if the hotel was entirely full or not! Eventually, once the receptionist had had a glance at our paperwork, she deemed it must be right and set about assigning a room to us, but she was very keen to keep all my paperwork, and I was not happy at all to be left with nothing to prove our booking, so protested and she said she must keep one piece to photocopy, so I relented, but held on to the booking confirmation.

At this point we wondered if we’d made a big mistake in giving Fishers a second go. Anyway, we took the key given for Room 209 and headed up there in the tiny lift with all our luggage..... to find it was a tiny double bed, and not the twin room clearly booked on our reservation. Down we came again, and pointed out our booking was for a twin room. Not getting off to a very good start at all. Our key was exchanged for another to Room 66 and we were both offered a complimentary whisky or sherry! A welcome gesture, presumably after the check-in fiasco. Room 66 is on the ground floor at the back. We’ve stayed so many times, we know where all the rooms are. This was a smaller room, but perfectly fine in all ways for our needs.

As we went around the hotel we noticed many changes – larger areas for dining, change of areas for lounging around, and a much better feel to the place generally. We only eat breakfast, preferring to eat once at the theatre restaurant and once at a nearby Indian restaurant, but it was clear they were catering for large numbers – a good sign things were looking up, so long may it continue.

Breakfast is served in 3 different areas, so on the first morning we did find ourselves being shown to two different tables, as my husband waited at once section to be checked-in, while I wandered to another area, and another waiter was keen to seat me! The buffet style cold selections were not as vast as a hotel we’d just stayed two nights in near Peebles, but all the usual options were there, and the cooked breakfast was very good indeed. The waiting staff were all very pleasant at all times.

We were out and about all day both days, but popped back in and out, (which is why we love the location of the hotel), and a huge party of guest were enjoying a luncheon which smelled really good indeed. At night there did seem to have been some form of entertainment when we arrived back after our dinner out.

There is definitely a vast improvement here, and like some other reviewers, I’d urge people to give the hotel another go, if they had a bad experience in the past.

We shall certainly stay again, as it is so central, (many hotels in Pitlochry are surprisingly far out, especially for elderly people), and we’ve never had a problem getting our car into the adjacent car park. However, I would recommend you always take along your booking confirmation!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (300)
Crawley, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 8, 2013

I stayed in this hotel for the night of 7th July 2013. For my particular circumstances, the location was perfect as right next to the train station - it has it's own gate on the platform. The room I was in had an extremely un-even floor and unfortunately, also surrounded the elevator shaft. (Room 115). In order to stay on the bed at night, I had to sleep diagonally with my head wedged in the corner of the room. The whole hotel could do with floors being levelled and re-carpeted - as none of them fit properly. The village it's self is lovely. The hotel is directly opposite a traditional Scottish café, there is a whisky distillery less than a mile away, another within 3 miles. I would return to Pitlochry, but not this hotel.

Room Tip: Try to book away from the elevator shaft - if you want to sleep at night.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Dunfermline, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 7, 2013

I've stayed here many times and loved it. This trip however they did not know what kind of room I had booked and that dinner was included despite I had booked direct with the hotel. My room window would not stay open so they stuck a wee bit of wood to hold it open a couple of inches! It was very hot while there so I asked for a fan. I got one and it was absolutely filthy and when I switched it on black dust blew all over me . I cleaned it best I could but it was useless and don't think it was even PAT tested. I was afraid to complain yet again as felt they would only make things worse for me. I have emailed the hotel three times sine my return and they have never even acknowledged me! I have to say its a fab location and the food was lovely . The waiting staff very nice as were the housekeeping staff.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
newtonhill scotland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 5, 2013

Stayed one night on our journey up to Skye, Room comfortable and clean, we dinned in the hotel and took up the offer of 3 courses for £15.00 evening meal and also had a cooked breakfast the next morning which was included , quick friendly service and would use again.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank granddad51
fife scotland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 5, 2013

stayed at this hotel about 4 years ago and swore i would never be back it was terrible ,BUT was there august this year 2013 and what a difference the hotel has new owners and i have to say they have made a big change all ready rooms were spotless staff were very pleasant, we had a full scottish breakfast tea and toast and it was lovely, well done to every one. if you have read previous reviews give this place a second chance its worth it. location is great right in the middle of the main street and handy for every thing.well done again guys for turning this place around.

Room Tip: ask for a room over looking the court yard if possible
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Gan shomron
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 4, 2013 via mobile

We came for one night, a family of six persons and stayed in two rooms. The rooms were ok but not more.
We had a beehive in one of the room's window.
The fire alarm started working in all the hotel at 3:00 am and the same when we left...
The parking was full so we had to park in the street.
The breakfast was very basic.

• Stayed August 2013
Dumfries, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 4, 2013

We recently stayed at The Fisher's Hotel, Pitlochry. The rooms were pleasant, comfortable and clean. The shower in our en-suite wasn't working properly but apart from that, we had no problems with our rooms. The dinners were very good but the cooked breakfasts left a lot to be desired. In fact we opted for a continental breakfast after our first experience of a cooked breakfast.
This hotel is extremely convenient if you are travelling by train as the railway station is just at the back of the hotel. (We couldn't hear the trains from our room.)
There was traditional Scottish entertainment in the hotel on several evenings throughout the week but it was very poorly attended which was such a shame as the entertainers were very good.

Room Tip: Ask for a room which overlooks the garden as the ones at the front face onto a very busy street.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family