“An absolute Shambles”

Ranked #8 of 18 Hotels in Pitlochry
Stratford, UK
“An absolute Shambles”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 17, 2009

My partner and I recently took my mother (who has difficulty walking) to this hotel as she had always wanted to go to Pitlochry but and after having looked up The Atholl Palace Hotel I decided to book a 2 night stay for the 3 of us.

When we arrived all seemed well at check-in until we were told that the lift wasn't working, however the engineer was in attendance and sorting the problem. So we went up to our rooms via the stairs which took quite a lot of effort on my mothers part. We had booked dinner and when we made our way down we discovered the lift was once again our of order. Dinner was fine on both nights and I would like to mention that all the hotel staff were more than accomodating however they all seemed a bit embarrassed when the lift was mentioned.

I raised the matter with the duty manager who apologised profusely and offered to give s a reduction on our room rate. I think we maybe were able to use the lift on 2 occassions throughou our stay and this really put a dampener on our stay and made me and my mother both rather irritable and a a result ruined our stay in an otherwise beautiful hotel.

Now my question is why nothing has been done about the lift because we were led to believe from other guests and reviews that this has been an ongoing problem for the past 18 months yet the owners haven't done anything about it. I find it absolutely disgraceful that the problem hasn't been sorted and that the senior hotel management can be so flippant about the whole situation. I will not be going back to the Atholl Palace because of this and would rather stay at the Green Park or one of the many Guest Houses in Pitlochry!!!

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with family
2 Thank bj8199

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (408)
  • Turkish first
Wishaw
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 14, 2009

Grand surroundings. Spectacular views but food expensive and a limited menu. Some staff don't speak english. Spa excellent, well worth a visit.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
Bolton
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 9, 2009

I booked Atholl Palace as a last luxury night of our holiday to Scotland. It was vastly more expensive than the lovely guest houses we had been staying in before and I dont think it is worth it. When I made the booking I asked for either a room for two adults and a child and a further room for an adult, or a double room and a twin room as we were travelling with my gran and my 3 year old son. The woman who took the booking offered me a double and a twin with a connecting sitting room. When we arrived this turned out to be a twin room with a double room attached to it and a 2 seater couch dumped in the end of the twin room. The en suite was off the double bedroom which meant you had to go through the double room to get to it from the single. This wouldnt have been so bad if the floor boards hadnt squeaked all the way from the twin room to the bathroom, ensuring that every trip to the bathroom made by my gran and son woke everyone up.
We had booked in for dinner, bed and breakfast. When we went down to dinner the restaurant staff were very professional and attentive and the meal was lovely, however I thought for the price the menu was very limited.
Breakfast however was a different affair. The staff were clearly incredibly bored by everything and showed us to our table and then we didn't see them for 10 minutes. The tableware was dirty and we did have fresh brought however that wasn't any cleaner. It is a buffet breakfast and I think it is safe to say I have never seen a worse cooked breakfast in my life. There were things there that weren't even identifiable, and it was cold and congealed. Also if you want toast you have to make it yourself on this odd contraption. I wouldn't have minded this if the hotel didn't charge so much.
I did complain to the management and they apologised about the room when I said that it wasn't what we had asked for and it didn't resemble their description but the breakfast they just told me that thats how its all done on the continent and they haven't had any complaints.
Overall it was a disappointment especially as it was more expensive than the lovely guest house we spent a couple of nights in. If it didn't sell itself as a palace and a luxury stay it wouldn't have been so bad but it was so far removed from the brochure and website pictures and description.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family
3 Thank Heidiclair
Nova Scotia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 29, 2009

We were told that we were staying in a castle and this overpriced dumpy old "palace" was never a private residence. The place was very run down and in need of renovation. Dinner was acceptable and service int he restaurant was good, but overall, this was not worth the price. We should have stayed a couple more nights at the MacDonald Russack's Hotel in St. Andrew's for the same money!

• Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
1 Thank AtlanticCanadianGuy
Carlisle, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 4, 2009

We have just been for a weekend break in Pitlochry and picked Atholl palace as it looked fantasitic and reviews were good unfortunately this was not the case. Positives = The hotel does look lovely and so do the gardens and the location is perfect. Bad points = The facilities not working this weekend were the out door pool, Sauna, Steam room, Plunge pool and Jacuzzi.
The restaurant is fine for breakfst but for dinner a massive disappointment and i urge every one to go to a local bar like Mckays for good food. Our steaks were of poor quality and then cooked very badly as were the starters. Not good considering our meal was over £80 for two people.
When we aired our problems with the hotel manager he was not bothered at all and responded with " well no one uses those other facilites any way " and when we mentioned that the food was much better quality in the local pub then his restaurant he replied " really where was that " ha ha maybe he was thinking of taking his wife there ..

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Chris S
Glasgow, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 4, 2009

I am not a complainer by nature and normally let things slide however I recently spent a Spa day here for a treat for a friends birthday, sadly it was very disappointing. The whole area was filthy and rather worrying. A guest of the hotel came in and stayed for five minutes as she was seriously concerned about the health implications of the surroundings for her young nephew. The changing rooms were filthy, the drain around the pool was full of mucky filth, the jacuzzi and plunge pool were both "out of order" however no-one informed us of this on arrival - they were both half filled with stagnant mucky water and looked like they had been like that for some time, the floor areas were dirty with old plasters and pools of filthy water.. We stayed no longer than an hour. I didn't mention it to the girls in the spa (who were very pleasant) as felt it was more worthwhile speaking to the manager - his attitude may expain the probem. He honestly didn't look as if he was too bothered, said the mucky around the pool happened often, said there had been a wedding on the previous day (?), there was some staff "off" and he hadn't had any complaints before and blame shifted to other staff. A poor attitude for someone in his position. A shame that a beautiful hotel local to myself lets itself down in such a way.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with friends
1 Thank jillybscot
dublin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 27, 2009

This was my third stay in this hotel and once again i didnt want to leave!
Its amazing travelling up the winding tree lined drive past the duck pond and seeing this beautiful old building set up on the hill.Its so grand and impressive and would make a beautiful wedding venue. That was my first thought seeing the Atholl the first time i ever visited and now here i am after my third visit and we have booked it for our wedding venue! :) The hotel is so warm and friendly and set in the most beautiful location over looking a valley and a short stroll into the little town of pitlochry with its little shops and cafes.Its idyllic and the people are all so friendly.
I cannot understand the negative reviews at all! This is our third stay and we never find fault with it and im a fussy traveller! The rooms have obviously been redecorated to a high standard. This time we stayed in a cozy room on the 4th floor with a new bathroom suite and views right over the valley. The time previous to that we stayed in an amazing room which was more like a suite with a large queen bed,and a seperate seating area and both a shower room and bathroom. The rooms all have flat screen tvs (not that you will be watching much tv here) and the public areas are very true to their classic style which i like! It would not fit in with the tone of the hotel to have modern designs in this amazing old building.
The restaurant is to a very good standard. You can tell from the menu that they choose alot of locally sourced produce. Again its to a very classic style of cooking which fits in with the environment. The breakfast is diverse and excellent quality. I have always found the staff friendly but this is particularly true for the girls at reception and in the spa. They are great and nothing is too much trouble.
And if you fancy doing something other than eating or sitting in the cozy bar then there are great walks to discover. We did some great exploring to walk off dinner and discovered the herb garden which it turns out they use in their food..you cant get fresher than that! we were also lucky enough to see beautiful deer up close and red squirells and even a rabbit or two :) There is a gym and pool and even a tennis court. I also must mention the lavender spa..get a hot stone massage..an hour and a half of HEAVEN...sooo relaxing!
I honestly didnt want to leave and cant wait to have my wedding here next year!

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple