“Wonderfully setting” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #8 of 18 Hotels in Pitlochry
Eyemouth, United Kingdom
“Wonderfully setting”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 24, 2013 via mobile

We stayed on our way home from a wedding in Elgin. We last used this hotel for company Dinner Dance and overnight stay back in the mid 1980's. it was great then and did not disappoint this time. The staff are well trained and from the moment we checked in we were made to feel welcome and special. A great bar meal served just before a power failure (external problem, not the hotel). The staff dealt with it professionally, kept us informed and found alternative ways to provide a service. All in all, a satisfying experience.

Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
DSpaven, General Manager at Atholl Palace Hotel, responded to this review, June 25, 2013
Thank you sincerely for your comments regarding your recent stay. It is most kind of you to take the time out to review the hotel and I will pass this onto the rest of the team. The power cut was very unfortunate but luckily didn't last too long, and we are glad it didn't disrupt your stay too much!
We are delighted you enjoyed your visit to the hotel, and hope to welcome you back again soon!
Dougal Spaven

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (407)
  • Turkish first
Sutton in Ashfield, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 24, 2013

My friend and I recently did the Sunday Spa for £99, well worth it. We had an overnight stay with dinner and breakfast with an hours spa treatment. We both had full body massages which were so relaxing and the therapists were lovely. We had full use of the Spa facilities and provided with robes and slippers. Our room was delightful, everything you needed including hairdryer. Dinner was excellent, 3 courses then coffee in the lounge afterwards. The views over the mountains in the dining area were amazing! All you could eat for breakfast too which was also first class. Could not fault anything and the staff were all pleasant and helpful. Going back with my Daughter for another treat!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank 281YvonneW
Thank you sincerely for your comments regarding your recent stay. It is most kind of you to take the time out to review the spa and the hotel. I will pass your kind comments onto the rest of the team. We are delighted you enjoyed your stay, and we look forward to welcoming you back to the Atholl Palace Hotel with your daughter soon.
Perth, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 18, 2013

The Atholl Palace Hotel, sits atop a granite outcrop and offers superb views over the Perthshire countryside. Built in the best Victorian Style it truly is magnificent. The Gardens/Grounds are probably the best of any hotel in Scotland.
We stayed for 2 nights on a DBB basis and greatly looked forward to dinner in the Verandah Restaurant. What a let down. This was "School Dinner" cuisine at its worst !!! We paid a supplement for the Chowder, which the Menu, promised a lot....but singularly failed to deliver !!!! Over salted....over smoked fish, barely edible. The lamb seasoned with sea salt and rosemary stuffed with black pudding, never existed. !!! What we go was a couple of slices of questionable lamb, non-nutritional vegetables...covered with red jus, to take away all evidence of what we were actually eating. Like all school dinner desserts, "Apple Crumble" didn't have any crumble !!! An unmitigated disaster. The Breakfast Buffet was great, other than every single item was stone cold. Did someone forget to light the flames ?????
Given that Scotland has probably one of the best larders in the world, the food presented at the Atholl Palace, was an embarrassment and I was quite ashamed that the hotel had the audacity to offer this to tourists from abroad let alone locals like me.
I could use more colourful adjectives, but will refrain from doing so.
Finally, on the 2nd night, the roast venison, turned out to be a stew, which bore an uncanny resemblance to "stewing beef"....the root vegetables, had been "mashed" resulting in something akin to a "bowl of sick" !!!! Disgusting....no thought on presentation or again nutritional value. An absolute disgrace.
To the Manager.....send for "The Hotel Inspector".....after you get yourself a chef !!!!
The only redeeming feature were the staff, who must have been embarrassed with the fayre produced. Oh forgot, we seemed to be on a speedy conveyor belt......50 minutes for a Three Course Dinner......world record......simply great for the digestion !!!!!

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the pump/generator room and don't eat in the restaurant.
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
DSpaven, General Manager at Atholl Palace Hotel, responded to this review, June 24, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to post your review. As you can imagine, I was most disappointed to read the review of your experience at the Atholl Palace Hotel. At the Atholl Palace, we pride ourselves on our high standards of our food and customer service, therefore I am extremely concerned that we did not meet your expectations on this occasion.

I would very much appreciate the opportunity to discuss your concerns further, so that we can avoid this happening again in the future. If this would be of interest, I can be reached on dougal@athollpalace.com or 01796 472 400.

Kind Regards
Thames Ditton, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 15, 2013

We first got together at Atholl Palace Hotel 27 years ago, and have returned a number of times since then for romantic nostalgia. We love it, for perhaps obvious reasons.
Regarding the place; see other reviews... yes, beautiful. That is why we go back, and doubtless will again. 4 or 5 stars for that bit.

We made something of a mistake having dinner though. For two courses set at £25/head, we basically got a plated meal (in case you do not know, that means stuff that has been pre-made, and kept hot or re-heated, and we are not talking sous vide...).
I ate some soup, which although tasted home made, was quite bland, but edible. The main course was a major let down. I had gammon a la school dinner, served with cauliflower florets in a crispy crust. Well, perhaps it had once been crispy, but an unspecified time under a red lamp or some such had left it like something from an off day at KFC. There was also a glutinous 'sauce' which made no reference to its billed ingredients on the menu.
Basically, this food was old-school (pre-gastro pub) pub food. That would be OK in your local, but for £25?? In an establishment of such physical grandeur? There was quite a large proportion of the menu required a supplement too.

At a visit a few years ago, we had a similar experience, and indeed when complaining to the waitress that it was simply 'disappointing' in such a lovely place, she said that it was plated (then), but that the a la carte was good, and freshly made. We tried that the next night, and it was marvellous, although naturally pricier! Like something from a different restaurant. The price difference was no problem, since we only wanted good food. Sadly, there no longer seems to be an a la carte option, which is what we had planned for when we booked.....

Lastly, I would add that my partner had a more enjoyable experience, although the cocotte starter was 'basic', and we paid an extra £5.50 for the 'quite tasty' guinea fowl option. So, that was some £30 for her two courses.
London is supposed to be expensive, but I guarantee that there are hundreds (actually, maybe thousands) of places that for £30 would STUN you with their flair and quality; it is not about producing good food for that sort of price and still making a profit. This can easily be done as the places I allude to testify. Clearly, here it is about maxxing the profit margins for indifferent diners, and this agenda has been pursued strategically, presumably to subsidise other aspects of the business.

Here was a cynical menu designed to exploit trapped coach parties. It did not spoil our visit though— still lovely. Just don't eat there if you like nice food...
...Hence the overall rating.

• 4 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for taking the time to post your review. As you can imagine, I was very disappointed to read the review of your experience at the Atholl Palace Hotel. At the Atholl Palace we pride ourselves on our high standard of food and our customer service, therefore I am extremely concerned that we did not meet your expectations on this occasion.

I would appreciate the opportunity to discuss your concerns further, so that we can avoid this happening again in the future. If this would be of interest, I can be reached on dougal@athollpalace.com or 01796 472 400.
Kind regards
Glasgow, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 13, 2013

Impressive Victorian building at the top of the driveway. The grounds are stunning as are the views. As this was a special occasion so we booked the Edradour suite in one of the turrets. The room is unique with a curved staircase taking you from the bedroom to the upper lounge. The views of the building and surrounding Perthshire are stunning. This hotel is so Interesting to explore , from the museum in the basement giving insight into past times,to grounds and kitchen herb garden . We had the impression they encourage you to check out the quirky building. Food and staff were very nice, staff very polite. The only negatives on this trip were the restaurant window seats which because of the age of the building were draughty and on a cold day you need move, also on check out the bill was wrong and charged twice for champagne and afternoon tea but this was corrected by reception in a professional manner. Would return for sure.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you sincerely for your comments regarding your recent stay. It is most kind of you to take the time out to review the hotel and I will pass this onto the rest of the team. I am very sorry to hear that your bill was incorrect on checkout but I am glad to hear it was resolved quickly.
We are delighted you enjoyed your stay, and hope to welcome you back to the Atholl Palace Hotel again soon!
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 13, 2013

Grand looking country house , with countryside views and big public rooms.service was very good but the room service price is extortionate eg £4 for a bucket of ice !! And £7 per plate just for breakfast delivery - not the contents !!!

• Stayed June 2013
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Thank you sincerely for your comments regarding your recent stay. It is most kind of you to take the time out to review the hotel and I will pass this onto the rest of the team. With regards our room service prices, these comments have been passed to our directors.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 11, 2013 via mobile

I have to say that I simply loved my stay at the Atholl Palace Hotel. To see it has a guest rating of 2.2 out of 5 on some sites is truly shocking. The grounds alone are magnificent, with acres of space, walks, tennis courts, fountains, streams and more. The look of the Hotel is nothing short of spectacular, both from the A9 road, and up close. The interior is dated in areas but is clean and the decor is very fitting. I really did feel I was staying somewhere very special. The staff on reception were friendly and helpful, as were those at the bar. Bar prices were about £4 a pint or short with mixer, and I enjoyed a couple of drinks on the outside benches, overlooking the beautiful scenery in the evening sun. We ate in the bar, which is a slightly different, slightly cheaper menu from the main restaurant, but it was delicious. I had a fish starter which was all fresh and beautifully presented, and my chicken main was also excellent. Two courses each for two persons was less than £40 - which for the standard of food, was very reasonable. The rooms were nothing too special, but the bed was comfortable, the shower (and toiletries) were excellent, and the tea/coffee/buscuit tray was well stocked. The only bad thing I experienced.....was having to leave! I did not get chance to use the leisure facilities due to work, but judging by the rest of the splendid hotel - I would imagine that they would be of a high standard. I can't wait to go back!!!

• Stayed June 2013
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
DSpaven, General Manager at Atholl Palace Hotel, responded to this review, June 13, 2013
Thank you ever so much for taking the time to review the Atholl Palace Hotel. I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay, and I hope you managed to enjoy the summer sunshine we have been experiencing! I will pass your comments onto the rest of the team and I very much look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel again in the near future!
With best regards