“Great start to an evening of theatre”

Pitlochry Festival Theatre Restaurant and Cafe
Ranked #14 of 56 Restaurants in Pitlochry
Cuisines: International
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Summer Season 2014 at Pitlochry Festival Theatre, called Home Again, is a weekly run of six different plays over six days in celebration of Scotland's second Year of Homecoming! Whisky Kisses, The Yellow On The Broom, Perfect Days, The Admirable Crichton, Passing Places and Mr Bolfry make up this years exciting and diverse collection. Much more than plays, Pitlochry Festival Theatre is also the setting for a whole host of Sunday concerts, Active Arts workshops, tours and talks, or take in a visit to Explorers Garden to help make your trip to PFT even more special! "The stylistic equivalent of a West End producing theatre, set against a picture-postcard backdrop of rolling Perthshire hills!" The Herald
Reviewed September 27, 2013

I had arrived home to Pitlochry when I was whisked off for a surprise evening - drinks in the theatre bar overlooking the river then into the restaurant at 6:30pm for a 3 course meal and coffee timed for the start of the play (Lady Windermere's Fan which was also extremely good) at 8pm

Food was themed (or at least named) with the characters in the play and the menu was printed with the play's imagery

I was surprised by the choices on the menu - we had no idea what to expect - the food was delivered quickly, tap water for the table, choice of wines and the food was tasty. Staff were friendly and the restaurant was busy but everything went smoothly and we certainly enjoyed it.

The service and food will be prepared and ready for a short and fixed time so there will always be compromises. In our case it worked out well, but then it was an unexpected bonus as we had no idea what to expect! I suspect it is very easy for mistakes to marr an evening - it does seem to be well managed though.

Port Na Craig is also an excellent choice for pre or post theatre dining - being a short walk from the theatre. In any case both options are a great start to an evening of Pitlochry theatre performances.

Reviewed September 15, 2013

This restaurant has gone way downhill in quality and value for money. Pre-theatre, they serve large numbers of people quickly and efficiently but that comes at a cost and the cost is bland, boring food which tastes as if it came off a supermarket shelf rather than a proper kitchen. Try Port-na- Craig restaurant at the foot of the hill beside the theatre - it serves proper food at the same price.

1  Thank Dunchurch
Reviewed July 19, 2013

I usually visit the theatre once or perhaps twice a year for a matinee showing, and follow-up with "high tea" before setting off back for home (which in my case is near Inverness). I always travel with a group and we pre-arrange our high-teas (not sure if it's available without prior reservations). Our group on 6th July (a lovely sunny Saturday) numbered 16 this year, and there were two or three other similar/larger groups. The service was pretty rapid and very friendly. Our choice of "main" was between fillet of haddock, steak pie or nut roast salad, however because I prefer to eat moderately-low carb the person who organises our trips always arranges for me to have a salad instead - usually honey-roast ham and cold chicken with a nice salad. My salad this year was, as usual, very enjoyable and copious. As it was 'high tea' the meal was accompanied by buttered bread and tea/coffee, followed by creamy cakes. Cost - £12. I also had a glass of red wine from the bar (about £4+ I think). There aren't too many places any longer where one can have a traditional high tea, something I always enjoyed from my childhood, so it is a bit nostalgic for me. Pretty good value so far as I am concerned and the view over the gardens down to the river is lovely, specially on a sunny day like we had this time. By the way, this year we saw the musical "Hello Dolly" and it was excellent - I've done a separate theatre review.

Reviewed July 18, 2013

We booked dinner (wife, adult daughter and self) before the performance of "Hello Dolly". As usual, the menu was themed towards the show. Service was very slick - it would have to be to feed several dozen people at one time - but no less friendly and courteous for that. A good choice of two or three courses - four or five starters, four mains including a tempting vegetarian choice and three sweets, plus coffee. Everything that we had was ok, especially as we were aware that it must have been prepared well in advance, but unfortunately my chicken was pretty bland in spite of the chorizo mousse, and as soon as I saw the lamb casserole I regretted my choice.
Highly recommended as the start to a theatrical evening.

Reviewed July 7, 2013

We went into the main restaurant at lunchtime before going to the matinee. Very hard to find something complimentary to say. The staff stand around and do almost nothing. I don't think they have any kind of a manager - Gordon Ramsay should go here!! The food is expensive for what you get and more to the point the quality is awful. It doesn't look like they have a chef as the buffet is all items from the local supermarket which have been cut into pieces.
What was most irritating was that the theatre (first time we had been) is geared towards elderly groups who are just too polite to complain on the big day out. It is such a shame as the theatre itself is absolutely excellent. Definitely go to the show but don't eat here for lunch.

1  Thank ABM583