“relaxing”

Scotland's Hotel & Spa
Ranked #17 of 18 Hotels in Pitlochry
Reviewed February 27, 2010

do not know why people are slating this hotel , we nearly did not go because of the reviews but so glad we did value for money you can not complain breakfast was great didnt have any other so cant comment staff very helpful and as for the pool and leisure facilities great . the only thing we did complain was the tv in the room asked twice to have it looked at as could only get one channel and never got it fixed but will definatly go again.

There are newer reviews for Scotland's Hotel & Spa

Reviewed February 21, 2010

well where do i start! when checking in discovered we were in the old bank building outside the hotel itself. the room was okay though. customer service skills demonstrated throughout our stay was poor. staff in the dining room were neither organised or did not have a clue what or who they were meant to be serving. no signs of a head waiter / waitress to organise the dining area. young guy wandering around for ages offering water and rolls! choice on the menu was very poor, similar to meals on wheels type food! the pool very small and steam room out of order! last orders at the bar 10.50pm! bar ran out of tiamaria on the friday evening and no replacement on sat. when a coop only street away!

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled as a couple
PMcCurg, General Manager at Scotland's Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded April 8, 2010

First and foremost I would like to apology profusely for the shortfall in our usual standards here at the Scotland's Hotel in Pitlochry.
As with all guests' comments, we do take them very seriously and on this occasion we thank you for your constructive criticisms.
In Crerar Scotland's Hotel a new management team, lead by myself, has been put in place to implement and improve the standards you would normally expect from the Crerar Hotels.
Once again please accept our apology, and we hope that you will return to the Hotel at a later date and I am sure you will see vast improvement in the hotel standards.

Reviewed February 21, 2010

Booked this hotel as a last minute get-away through Lastminute.com. Expected a little more than what we got. First impression of the hotel was that the staff were overworked. One girl on reception trying to deal lots going on. No obvious uniform for the staff which didn't strike me as very professional. After a bit of a delay due to a lost room key we were shown to our room which was outside and across the road from the hotel. Not what I had booked.
The room, to its credit was perfectly clean and comfortable, The en-suite bathroom, sorry SHOWER ROOM, was freezing though, did have a heated towel rail, but for scottish winters didn't quite cut it. We found that turning the shower on about 10 minutes before you needed it heated it a little, but I'm sure this didn't quite fit in with the hotel's 'Green Tourism' mantra.
We booked to have dinner the first evening, were given a choice from a set menu, which was ok, nothing to write home about and definitely not the luxury menu raved about in the website, one meat, one fish, one vegetarian option, although the chef to his credit had presented everything beautifully. However to have a drink with dinner was another story, I ordered a glass of Rose Wine from one waiter, then 10 minutes later after having eaten our starters and were being served our mains, still no drinks. On asking the waiter to chase, he replied 'I'll send the drinks waiter over'. The drinks waiter then arrived and I advised I had ordered a glass of Rose to which he said 'oh, there's no rose, that why it hasn't arrived', no apology. Eventually halfway through our mains the elusive drinks arrived.
Breakfast in the morning was fine, although clearly not freshly cooked since it arrived approximately 2 minutes after ordering (full scottish!). Breakfast on the second morning not quite so good, I decided to go for a vegetarian style breakfast, but when asking the waiter, was blithely informed there were no vegetarian sausages ('would i like pork or venison instead') and no turkey rashers (clearly I'm not a full vegetarian!) 'but, would you like some potato and tomato instead?' Eh, no.
The swimming pool, sauna and jacuzzi were lovely, the steam room out of order but the changing room facilities were great.
Overall, don't think I would return, the main reception area and bar/lounge of the hotel look and smell like they need an upgrade, and the McNabs bistro was completely shut the whole time we were there and given that the hotel was fully booked it seemed that it was merely reluctance on the part of the manager to employ any more staff than he absolutely have to in order to run the essential parts of the hotel. Why bother opening both restaurants when you can cram everyone into one?? The hotel encourages guests to review their trip on tripadvisor, but if I were them, I would do a bit of work before encouraging it.

Reviewed February 20, 2010

Oh dear!! Desperately in need of an upgrade. Breakfast was worst I've had in along while and it wasn't even a buffet. Pool area was very small and pretty grubby showers were cold! No bath in the room and you had to run around in the shower to get wet And one warning if you're not very fond of lifts you'll hate theirs!! It was cheap and now I know why No bar menu and restuarant food very limited. Also when I checked out they tried to charge me for someone elses bar bill and when I pointed this out I didn't really get an apology. I won't be returning here and wish I'd taken more notice of the other reviews

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled with family

Reviewed February 18, 2010

We arrived in the evening to find that the hotel had overbooked. blamed the internet service and claimed a number of couples affected. We found out this wasn't the first time this has happened. An alternative hotel was sourced at the same star rating. However when we got there the room was sub-standard and we ended up doing our own investigations and found a lovely alternative hotel for the same price (Knockendarroch House hotel). Its poor practice to overbook , not contact us in advance to choose another venue ourselves, no compensation offered and a poor alternative accommodation found. On this basis wouldn't attempt to book here again.

Reviewed February 14, 2010

First time, we didn't get to stay in Hotel (August 2009), and after complaining we were given a complimentary visit, which we took in January 2010. Service in restaurant greatly lacking, except for one your Irish girl, who seemed to be on duty all day long. Without her, nobody was interested in whether you got served or not. She did her best to seat everyone for dinner on the Saturday evening, but there was a big backlog of diners who were not happy. She was going on holiday the day we left, so don't know what the service would be like after that. Rooms OK, but the corridors and doors need upgrading - big gaps under the room doors letting in noise when people return to their rooms late at night.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled with family

Reviewed February 8, 2010

The purpose of my visit was to have a relaxing spa weekend.The spa was closed. Could not eat in the restaurant on evening of arrival, fully booked. Bistro was also closed. Room very small, showerhead broken, tv reception awful. Meals served lukewarm. Acute staff shortage,even had to borrow staff from other hotels. The staff they did have were very nice even though they were run ragged. Not a good experience

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled solo