Scotland's Hotel & Leisure Club
Ranked #17 of 18 Hotels in Pitlochry
Reviewed February 1, 2009

Sometime in November we received an e-mail from Crerar Hotels (North British trust formerly) promoting an offer of DB&B for an equivelant of £35 per person per night with a bottle of house wine chucked in each night for good measure.

Considering the economic gloom then there was a good chance that the UK would consist of 53 million Big-Issue sellers by January, we thought it was a good idea to book up. I must say having something to look forward to carries you through that post Christmas drudge.

Arrived in a freezing Pitlochry on the Friday afternoon. the hotel is just off the main street, just about enough parking, but my tip would be to stop outside the front door (coach space) unload your bags and then one of your party park the car as it is likely the only spaces will be right at the back.#

Slightly gloomy reception and a distinct smell of cleaning fluid emanating from the adjacent ladies and gents toilets. A bit offputting, not sure how this could be solved though.

Very friendly reception - efficient and we were soon struggling our way upstairs to the room. There is a lift and if we had thought about it we could have used it for the "bags run". Corridors and stairways are a bit tired, sludgy brown pattern carpet and sutcase-chipped paint. The hotel has nice features and I am sure a public area refurb is on the cards - it would pay dividends.

Our room was small and had a view of the kitchen roof! But hey...£35?!!!. Nicely redecorated, muted checks and tweed effects, attractive bed linen. Decent TV, Tea bits etc etc. A bit reminiscent of MacDonald Hotels and Resorts in style. It was warm...and it was -3 outside! Clean ensuite, shower in bath type, nice toiletries. No sign of budget-mindedness here.

We had a wander round Pitlochry - basically 2 companies control all the tourist shops here, you keep seeing the same handwriting on the tickets! There is an independent tourist shop right at the North end on the right which I would advise you to head for. Edinburgh Woolen Mill in their various guises just miss the boat in my opinion. Nice wee pub at the back of the gardens above the river. Great butcher next to the hotel!

Down to dinner. Very pleasantly surprised. At the price we were paying a variation on the Oliver Twist gruel theme might have been in order, but a well presented menu was in evidence, fresh fish, sorbet, simply cooked lamb, decent cheese selection. It is not Andrew Fairlie, but is competent hotel food with the odd spark of imagination. Well done.

The free bottle of wine was a decent French VDP DOC Red, which the hotel had thoughtfully chilled to match the outside temperature ..ie minus 3! Hey guys - this is what microwaves are invented for - 45 secs and you would have room temp. The last glass did not give us any more gum frostbite and was pleasant.

We were going to go out, but had settled into a fuzzy torpor so sat through the Race Night which Marc, the manager was running. Not really our thing, but was actually good fun and his enthusiasm came through. Needless to say we lost every race.

Breakfast on both mornings was well above average, certainly better than most business hotels i stay at. Freshly cooked to order - i do not know if they could manage this in peak season, but it was very good indeed.

Next night they ran a Burns Night, we could only stay for the meal as we went to the Pitlochry Festival Theatre for a Ghost Story reading (and skated back on totally lethal footpaths). Judging by some hungover people the next morning this was a good night.

There is a Leisure Centre which we did not use, perhaps next time. Seems to be well equipped and well run.

Interestingly they have a computer in the Lobby for you to post Trip Advisor Reviews on! I think this could be a double edged sword Mr Crerar as I saw one person obviously putting a flame-review on it as we returned late on Saturday night! (incidentally - did we not got to school together..I seem to recall us both being very enthusiastic about achieving long and luxuriant hair-styles. Judging by your web picture and my appearance now it was a bit of a waste of time in the long run!).

Conclusion. A stupidly cheap and very enjoyable weekend. If you see any offers from this hotel or hotel group - snap them up. Marketing-wise they are hitting the nail absolutely on the head in todays climate. It is not 5 star - as you would expect, but it is very much exceeding expectations on 3 star status.

thanks

Brian

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
Write a ReviewReviews (1,661)

Reviewed January 18, 2009

Following a hectic Christmas and New Year my wife and myself need a few days to chill out and charge our battteries.
We had stayed in the hotel two years ago and thoroughly enjoyed our stay then.
We were pleasantly surprised to find that what is a large,old and difficult to maintain hotel has been through and has an ongoing upgrading programme in place.
Our two night reservation was taken by a very friendly and efficient receptionist who arranged what must be the best deal of the New Year....." Two nights Dinner Bed and Breakfast with a bottle of wine each night for £68 per room per night."
Wow what a deal!
We were given a friendly welcome on arrival and found that we had been upgraded to what a suite.
The room was large and spacious with sleigh bed with a really comfortable mattress, quality furnishings,large couch, flat screen TV, tea and coffee facilities,
The bathroom was well appointed with fluffy white towels and Arran Aromatics shower gel and bath foam.
The evening meal on both evenings was excellent with a good choice and well presented.
The traditional Scottish Breakfast was a combination of self-service starters and cooked items to order.
The choice available was more than enough to keep us going for the rest of the day.
The swimming pool and hot tub are super for relaxing in and very often you can have the whole amenity to yourself.
The Gym could do with upgrading and I believe this is scheduled to happen as part of continued upgrading.
We had a wonderful stay a large part of which can be attributed to to the attitude and dedication of the staff who work to ensure customer satisfaction.
The friendly staff are in the majority Polish with excellent spoken english... One exceptional waitress was from Equador, very conversational as she wants to improve her spoken English.

When we were there all the Christmas decorations were being taken down and it was interesting to note that it was a total team effort with even Marc the General Manager joining in with a hoover to get the job completed.

Would thoroughly recommend the hotel and point out that if there
there is anything you dont like or have a problem with... Ask and
and it will be remedied without any hassle.

MC. Bishopbriggs. Glasgow

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank eyespyGlasgow
Reviewed January 8, 2009

My partner and I arrived for the New Year celebrations and stayed on for the weekend. The whole experience was brilliant and I would recommend staying here for New Year to anyone!!

The room was very comfortable, well decorated and well equiped. We stayed in the bank house which is a separate building to the hotel. This had the advantage of being quiet although it was a shock to the system meeting the cold air before breakfast!

The food was spot on all weekend and I thoroughly enjoyed the full cooked breakfast every morning. Luckily they had a gym and pool on site so I had an excuse. I have to admit I saw more of the spa and sauna than I did of the gym, but that's what holidays are for - itsn't it?? The spa was brilliant and the treatments are well priced for the time taken and the care given.

Overall we had a brilliant New Year made all the better by staying at Scotlands where the staff were brilliant. I am looking forward to going back soon as there is still lots I haven't seen in the area.

• Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank YorkshireLass83
Reviewed January 5, 2009

Husband and I stayed here for 4 night Christmas break. Our room was very spacious with a lovely sleigh bed, sitting area, plenty of storage, bathrobes, slippers, spotlessly clean bathroom - could not fault it.

Food was good, breakfast cooked to order with a choice of fruit juices, cereals, yoghurts etc. etc. Our other meals were very good, Christmas Lunch especially (no washing up!).

Hotel staff were very friendly and helpful.

The only drawback for us was the lack of suitable entertainment as I think we were half the age of the majority of guests! Did find a good pub - the Moulin which has it's own micro brewery about 1.5miles away, which is where we tended to go in the evenings.

Pitlochry does not offer an awful lot for visitors during the winter, but I'm sure during the summer months it would be fine.

1  Thank Kelly64
Reviewed December 29, 2008

Went last December between Christmas and New Year and thought that was brilliant, but this year has been excellent! For the price I recommend everyone to come. The food was tasty, the rooms were lovely and the entertainment was brilliant. I cannot thank this Hotel enough for a wonderful three days rest! Anyone who has had a very hectic Christmas should come here for a post Christmas break.

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled with friends
1  Thank EveMark
MarcGardner, General Manager at Scotland's Hotel & Leisure Club, responded to this reviewResponded January 7, 2009

Many thanks for your recent review, I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us.
I will of course pass on your great comments to the Staff, I look forward to welcoming you back to Scotlands very soon.

Reviewed December 29, 2008

23rd December 08

We really enjoyed our Christmas Break . We paid extra for an executive suite, which was not perhaps a suite in the normal sense of the word, but non the less we were allocated a lovely spacious room.

The food was very good for a 3 star hotel. The staff
extremely helpful and friendly, nothing was too much trouble.

We arrived early, but our room was ready and we were able to check in as soon as we arrived.

The only downside to our Christmas stay was that the hotel bar prices were extremely expensive, in fact the most we have ever paid any where, ie £4.10 for a bottle of Magners Cider.

1  Thank Mike_and_Lesley

Many thanks for your recent review & for your good comments about the hotel & the staff.
I do hope that you will return to Scotlands very soon. I will be reviewing the bar prices in 2009

Reviewed December 28, 2008

We stayed at the Scotland Hotel for 4 day Christmas holiday.
Extremely friendly, polite, helpful staff. Every request was dealt with promptly and with a smile.
Rooms were cosy and clean.
The entertainment was excellent and the staff took part with great enthusiasm and obvious enjoyment.
Food was varied, plentiful and well presented.
The impression we got, was of excellent management.

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled with friends
1  Thank 12redroses

Thank you for taking the time to write your recent review. I am delighted that you had a great time over the festive season & I will pass on your thanks to the staff. From all of us at Scotland's we wish you a very happy new year.