“Enjoyed the hotel but not the bar prices!”

Scotland's Hotel & Spa
Ranked #17 of 18 Hotels in Pitlochry
Shropshire
“Enjoyed the hotel but not the bar prices!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 31, 2008

We have just returned home after a very pleasant 3 day stay at the Scotland's hotel. We have stayed here a few times before and one reason for returning this year to the hotel was MacNabs bar and Bistro. We discovered this gem during our last visit in 2006 and enjoyed many an evening here. However this year we were so disappointed. After a long journey up from the midlands we were very tired and decided to go to MacNabs to enjoy a few drinks there. At first we had great difficulty actually getting a drink at all, as all the drinks we ordered initially were not in stock. When we did eventually manage to obtain a drink (our third choices) we were absolutely horrified at the prices. Two pints of bitter, half a lager and a vodka and lemonade came to 5p short of £13! Needless to say we didn't stay for a second but found another bar in the town where the same round of drinks came to £4 less. It is a shame as we had every intention of spending our money at MacNabs but not at those prices. Sadly everyone else appeared to feel the same as the place was empty. We will always return to Pitlochry as we love the place but I think we will seriously have to review where we stay next time.

Stayed October 2008
1 Thank DivaLew
MarcGardner, General Manager at Scotland's Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, November 6, 2008
Thank you for your recent review, I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us & thanks to your (and other comments) we have decided to reduce our bar prices, this will bring us in line with the Pubs in the area, guest feedback is vital to us & we thank you again for taking the time.
Marc Gardner

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (340)
Grangemouth Scotland
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 31, 2008

Stayed at the Scotlands for the first time from 17th - 19th October 2008. We visit Pitlochry about twice a year for a long weekend and normally stay at the Fishers. (currently under renovation). Our room 314 was in the attic very small with a view of roofs and tiles. The bed was very small for a double bed and the room had only one chair, but it would have been impossible to get 2 chairs in the room. The room was clean but the shower leaked.
We had booked half board - big mistake. We saw the menu and actually thought about leaving, but at 8.15 pm it was getting late to go elsewhere. We had lukewarm soup (we disliked all of the other starters) followed by the smallest sea bass I had ever seen. It was a fillet - my husband got the other half. This was accomanied by boiled rice!! By the time I had finished (do not like dry boiled rice) I was still hungry. To upgrade to a la carte from half board an allowance of about £1 was given - not near enough. Breakfast was well enough cooked - the portions were just small. (half slice black pudding/haggis?)
We did not think that the food could get worse - but were proved wrong on Saturday night - from the choice of 3 starters we only liked one - but it was finished. We started with no starter. I ordered the salmon main course and was given a small triangle of salmon with pasta!! - no veg nothing else. (also do not like pasta).
We decided to avoid the sweet and share the portion of biscuits and cheese for two @ an extra cost of £6.45 or thereabouts. Plenty of cheese but only three oatcakes for two persons?
I think if the chef produces these strange combinations it might be an idea to actually say on the menu what the accompanyment is giving guests the option to go elsewhere, and in fact if the expanded menu was at reception for about 3.00/4.00pm guests might have time to book eleswhere.
The hotel has very little bar area - every time we went to McNabs it was empty and not staffed, and no entertainment.
Many of the staff could not speak very good English - in fact one seemed only to be able to say ' sorry' all the time no matter the question.
The only recomendation I would give about this hotel was not to go

• Liked — Convenient location - central
  • Disliked — Food + room
    • Check in / front desk
Thank you for taking the time to write your recent review, and your good comments about the cleanliness of the bedroom, As you will hopefully appreciate, the building was built in 1849 and all of our bedrooms vary in size, larger rooms are available on request. I have read your review with interest, however I would like to talk to you directly as none of my team seem to be aware of your complaints at the time? We always strive to correct any issues guests may have at the time if we are made aware? Please feel free to call me at the hotel.
Marc Gardner

Travelers are raving about these Pitlochry hotels

Aberdeen
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 29, 2008

I visit Pitlochry every year in October for Dougie Maclean's Perthshire Amber festival and have previously stayed at the Pitlochry Hydro and Fishers which have cost me half the price that I paid for Scotlands so I was hoping for something special. I wanted a hotel with a leisure centre and in the centre within walking distance to the Festival Theatre so Scotlands seemed ideal. As a single traveller I paid £69 a night for B&B which is a lot of money to me (I have since found out that there are deals a lot cheaper (half) of that certainly for 2 sharing.

I work in a highly pressured job in a city so was looking forward to de-stressing for the weekend.....leisurely baths, peace and quiet, a swim, sauna etc and a concert each of the two nights I was there. However as soon as I opened the bedroom door of my room I almost cried...I had expected a bath and had specified a room with no noisy extractor fans etc outside and I could hear one as soon as I went into the room....I went into the bathroom only to find a shower so not even a bath to relax in. The room was tiny. I called reception and they apologised but said that the rooms were all booked but I was put through to Claire who said that she would upgrade me to a double the next day which would be quiet and with a bath. She was very helpful as were all of the staff they are a credit to the hotel I have no quibble with any of them at all! She suggested that I went down to the leisure club for a relaxing jaccussi etc.

Meantime I was unable to use the washbasin in the room as plug stuck in basin.....I didn't get to clean my teeth until I moved rooms! Also I reported the bedside light wasn't working but neither problem resolved whilst I was in that room.

I went down to the leisure centre but there are only 8 lockers all of which were in use so I had to go back to the room again and went down later minus my valuables! I also noticed there are no safety notices ie advising people to shower before and after treatments and to only use the steam room etc for certain times.

One of the problems of having to move the next day was that it was pointless taking clothes out of my case and hanging them up so I was living out of the suitcase all weekend.

The breakfasts were lovely...nice fresh fruit and cereal with dried red fruits and fresh cooked hot breakfast with loads of choice.

When I moved into my new room at midday it was lovely room 216.....I was very happy with it. The decor is really tasteful as was the decor in the single room ...... it is similar to the decor at the company's hotel in Strathpeffer which I have also stayed at. I had a lovely relaxing bath that day before going out to my concert.

All in all if I could just have had a decent room from the start I would have been more than happy but due to the problems of the first 24 hours I really feel as if I only had one nights stay as rather than de-stressed I was more stressed than ever as totally unable to relax until I moved into 216 just after midday on the Sunday and I had to leave on the Monday morning.

If I had paid £30-£40 maybe for the original room that would have been an OK price IF the sink had been in operation but I paid £138 of which I feel about £108 was for the 2nd night. However I was not offered any kind of a bill reduction or voucher towards another stay because of my problems.

Would I stay again? The staff were friendly and Claire especially helpful. The decor in the rooms was lovely as was the pool area and the breakfasts but the single rooms if mine was typical should have a vastly reduced tariff as they are not worth the price I paid...I would pay £69 per night again but only if I could be guaranteed a room away from the fans, with a bath and with all facilities in working order.

Stayed October 2008
Thank you for taking the time to write your recent review, and for your kind words regarding my operations manager Claire.
We have a variety of different size rooms as one would expect from a victorian building, 80% of our rooms have a bath & a shower depending on room tye & availability, larger rooms are available on request with both Shower & a bath & I am pleased that we were able to accomodate you on your second night. The leisure club as you experienced has just been refurbished & I take your comments on board re the eight lockers. This is something for us to address. Once again thank you for your comments & I look forward to welcoming you back sometime in the future
scotland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 20, 2008

we stayed at this hotel fot two nights bbed from the 10th oct,the hotel is right in the middle of pitlochry,the room we had 201 was very big,i would go as far and say it was a suite very clean and comfortable,would like to thank the manager for that,the meals too were very good and the waiters also good,the only gripe i had was the bar prices£8.50 for two vodkas and coke a bit pricey MARK,i would have spent a bit more time in the bar lounge if the prices were a bit like the pub just down the street but apart from that we enjoyed our stay and would go back.

2 Thank duds58
MarcGardner, General Manager at Scotland's Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, October 23, 2008
Thank you for your recent review, I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and that your room was to your liking. With regard to your posative comments about the food, we have recently launched new menus at the hotel and it is great to hear good feedback.
We are currently reviewing the bar prices at the hotel.
I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Paisley, Scotland
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 17, 2008

My wife and I stayed the nights of 15 & 16 October 2008. The staff were superb- very helpful and attentive. The room (a twin) was fine, the bathroom being the best part - it had recently been modernised, although insufficient shelf space or towel rails/hooks were annoying.

We were on the 1st floor, and the corridors were shabby. The state of the decor was poor, jagged edges on a couple of doors, and stained carpets being the problems. The biggest minus was the food. It was edible, but if I pay for a hotel stay, I expect a wee bit more quality-wise - and quantity-wise. The 2nd night I ordered a puy lentil dish with roasted veg and salad. The food was sparse and bland. A few strips of carrot, half a tomato, one strip of courgette, less than a whole pepper, a mushroom ( a big one, mind you), lentils and a spicy tomato sauce. Very poor value indeed. The cooked breakfast was even sparser - it included HALF a slice of black pudding and the same quantity of haggis.

The hotel had its plus points, but sufficient minus points that I will likely choose another hotel for my next stay in Pitlochry.

• Liked — The staff
  • Disliked — The food
    • Check in / front desk
Thank you for taking the time to write your recent review, I will pass on your comments to the staff who will be delighted with your positive comments.
I would like to apologise for the mattress in the coridor, I have since spoken to the refurbishment team and this has been removed.
The refurbishment is due to be completed in early December.
With regard to your comments about the food I am pleased to announce the launch of our new menus next week, I take your comments on board and will speak to the Chef.
I do hope that you will return to Scotland's in the near future.
scotland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 14, 2008

as someone who has frequently passed through pitlochry and always found it to be a charming place, usually on our way to aviemore the opportunity of a wee weekend break away with the wife and no childrenseemed an ideal chance to actually stay a night or two in the town. we timed it to take in the local highland games . However I was disappointed that I was unable to book directly with the hotel since they showed that they had no availability for the saturday night only for friday night , however I was able to book two nights with expedia , unfortunately I had to pay a small premium for doing so , I would much ratehr have had the ability to book direct and also to safe a few pounds , something the management should consider perhaps they are allocating too many beds to companies such as expedia to sell. But this aside here are my thoughts on the hotel, an ideal spot half aminutes walk to the centre of the town. the hotel has a lovely oldy feel about it in its main reception areas , by that not sparkling new but everyhtin in character of what one would want to find in a highland hotel. we were allocated room 308 lovely attic type double room that was lovely decorted and also very spacious , in fact Id say too big for two and it would in fact have been an ideal family room if an additonal bed had been available...but as I said we hadnt any children with us this trip , so the additoanl space was nice, the quality of the fixtures and fitting and the comfort of the bed was spot on. the bathroom was everyhting you would wish for , it didnt have a bath just a walk in shower cabinet but it was ideal .

we were on abed and breakfast deal , on both mornings the breakst was ample , a nice selection of cereals and fruit and we both had a cooked scottish breakfast , this too was excellent and comments about half slices of black pudding surely cant be real cause to comment or complian about. We didnt eat in either the bar or the mcnabs restaraunt and we didnt see anyone eating in there at all not even on the saturday night, in fact the hotel seemed very very quiet both on friday and again on saturday evening , this surprised us since the highland games being in town you would have though that more people would be out and about, perhaps the cost of drink in the bar might be a small factor i was charged something like £7.40 for a pint of lager and a bacardi and diet coke , granted they only had bottled diet coke available , but the prices where perhaps on the dear side given that there are numerous bars in town. finally with regards the swimming pool my wife took a dip on saturday afternoon and found the facilites to be fine and had an enjoyable hour or so swim about.

As i stated at the beginning we usually stop of in pitlochry for a wee bite at least twice a year on our way to the 4 star hilton coylumbride hotel aviemore. this is something we have done for the last ten years since the friendlyness of the staff and what it offered for children suited our needs , that hotel when we last stayed in january has had a recent refurbishment and it compares every bit as good as scotlands hotel . though the hilton is twice the price. hence will I be back at the scotland hotel ..put your money on it , ive already emailed the hotel with regards a family room rate for avisit next month to take in the enchanted forrest event that is in town.
my thanks the staff and the management of this hotel I enjoyed my two night away and will be back .

• Liked — its location and its ambience
  • Disliked — bar prices
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank htc
MarcGardner, General Manager at Scotland's Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, September 25, 2008
Thank you for taking the time to write your recent review. I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and for your kind words about the hotel, management & staff I thank you again. We do have various allocations with online agents to help us sell our rooms and these come with contractual obligations. However we constantly review performance with regard to production, and these allocations can be reviewed.

I am please that you enjoyed breakfast and glad that you are planning to revisit our hotel, I will pass on your complements to the staff and we look forward to welcoming you back very soon.

paisley
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 2, 2008

we booked our weekend break through easybreaks but we got a call the day before we where due to arrive telling us that they never had any rooms left in the main hotel building and we would need to be put into one of the other bank buildings across the road.we never knew about these other buildings as there is no info about them on the websites or even the crerer hotels website who own the hotel which i think is a bit misleading.this was a surprise break for my girlfriends birthday so it would have been nicer to know before i booked weather we would have been in the hotel or across the road.the room was a large family room which looked as if it had been refurbished slightly however we where shocked to find the biggest spider we have ever seen crawling about the bed at midnight then after jumping out of bed we lost the thing so this kept us awake wondering where it was.
breakfast was lovely but there is only one complaint,could you have potato scones instead of the sliced potatoes as you do say its a scottish breakfast.the evening meals where lovely aswell and the girlfriend loved the chocolate gateau.even although the hotel was busy the service was excellent.overall our stay was ok but it would have been nicer too stay in the actual hotel main building

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — bar prices and no potato scones
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank scottish74
MarcGardner, General Manager at Scotland's Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, September 7, 2008
Thank you for taking the time to write your recent review. I am pleased that you enjoyed the meals at the hotel, we have a new head chef at the hotel who is certainly bringing the product forward. The bank house and Dunevis buildings are both mentined on our website as two victorian guest houses and for you not being informed earlier I would like to apologise. With regard to the spider again please accept my apologies, we do everything possible to ensure the rooms are clean & presentable for incomming guests however the spider must have arrived via a plug hole. Please do call me directly If you are planning to visit us again and I will ensure you are in the main building if this is your preference.