“Tired Hotel”

Scotland's Hotel & Spa
Ranked #17 of 18 Hotels in Pitlochry
Reviewed July 27, 2008

10/11 July 2008 Ken Bangor NI

Considering we booked 6 months in advance with others for family wedding where charged 4 star price for a very average 3 star hotel (thought we where getting a special price but got the opposite) Room looked out on a wall. Shower dribbled - no decent pressure. The two days there noted that there was no one eating in the bistro, what does that tell you?
Except for the new bar all renovations done to date can only be described as 'tinkering' Hotel needs extensive renovations asap. A good dusting/cleaning in the meantime would not go amiss. A bus tour hotel that has seen better days. How the locals describe it.

You can get better at a lesser price in Pitlochry e.g. good B&B
Go for it!

Conned!!!

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank KenRed41
MarcGardner, General Manager at Scotland's Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded July 28, 2008

Thank you for your recent review, I am pleased to announce the refurbishment programme is due for completion by the end of this year, All bedrooms will or have recieved new carpet, curtains, case goods i.e wardrobes, dressers, bedside tables & new TVs aswell as full painting & decorating. I am truley dissapointed that you did not enjoy your stay and that your room did not have a good view. I would like to assure you that I take guest feedback very seriously and your points raised have been noted.
kind regards

There are newer reviews for Scotland's Hotel & Spa

Reviewed July 25, 2008

Stayed at this hotel in July and have nothing but praise for the hotel and its staff.

Check in was quick and efficient, the receptionist smiling and helpful. Directions to our rooms were clear and easy to follow and receptionist even gave a hand with our luggage when she saw we were struggling!

The rooms our party stayed in were superb. Due to the age of hotel, all the bedrooms were different - not the modern standard box room. The sleigh beds were so, so comfy. The rooms were clean and fresh with lovely toilitries.

While we loved our bedrooms, the highlight of our stay was eating the fab food in the Scottish restaurant. The big, tartan chairs in the restaurant were the most comfortable of our holiday anywhere!.
Breakfast was amazing - a buffet with a huge selection on offer and dinner was as good as if it was a prviately owned restaurant and not part of a hotel chain. A nice touch was everyone of the waiting staff were dressed in a gold and black uniform that was very smart.
We found the staff in the hotel very friendly and, while they weren't all Scottish, they were clearly well trained and repsonsive to the needs of the guests staying at the hotel.

All our party enjoyed their stay so much - we have booked again for 2009 - but for a longer period!

Please don't change the staff or the way this hotel is run - it's just perfect as it is...

2  Thank RedMercedes
MarcGardner, General Manager at Scotland's Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded July 26, 2008

Thank you for your recent review, I am pleased that you and your party enjoyed your recent stay at our hotel, I will pass your comments on to the team, who will be delighted. I am looking forward to welcomming you and your party back to Scotlands next year.

Reviewed July 21, 2008

The website grossly misrepresents this hotel - it is very overpriced for what it delivers. The public areas/corridors are shabby and hostel like. It totally lacks any atmosphere.
We booked a four poster bedroom 6 months in advance, but upon arrival were told it wasn't available due to redecoration - we were give a small 'double room' with no space to swing a cat (the bed was 4'6" and barely 18inches from the dresser.
We were attending a wedding and there were aprroximately 30 other guests also staying at this hotel - all were unaminous in their utter disappointment and it became something of a joke during the 2 nights we stayed there. Other wedding guests had booked elsewhere and paid half the price for much superior accommodation.
The core business of this hotel appears to be budget coach parties - we were over run by a party of school kids one night.
Give it it a miss!

• Business service (e.g., internet access)
MarcGardner, General Manager at Scotland's Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded July 22, 2008

Thank you for your recent review, I am pleased to announce the refurbishment of the remaining first floor and all corridors in the hotel, we are aware they are a little tired and work will start in september. I am dissapointed that your party did not enjoy your stay and would like to apologise for you not recieving the four poster bed as these have been replaced with sleigh beds. All of our bedrooms vary in size & we do have some great bedrooms at Scotlands, I know we got things wrong during your stay however we are working hard to ensure we get things right in the future.

Reviewed July 20, 2008

Beautiful countryside, picturesque town, happy reason to be there - family wedding nearby. We were part of a major extended family booking. Our immediate family occupied three rooms ranging in size from good to acceptable to ridulous. Grandfather occupied single room of ridiculous proportions with no shelf in tiny shower room, and a very idiosyncratic door key! Daughter paid single occupancy supplement for very small double room. Our room was of expected size for price asked and en-suite was spotless. However our welcome to the room included an aroma of cooking food which persisted during our two night stay. House-keeping did not remove unclean glasses, nor replenish bathroom products. There was no Residents bar or mini bar facilities. Grandfather's room was not near the lift as requested and he could not be relocated as the hotel was fully booked. The many heavy firedoors and steps without handrails were added difficulties to someone using a stick. The lift travelling between floors with hardboard blocking off the interfloor spaces terrified my young niece. Following the wedding celebrations on 2nd night 50+ guests could not gain entrance to hotel even though we had informed staff in advance of our anticipated late return. We were wet and cold as we waited outside for ten minutes. Breakfast was good. The freshly made fry lovely. Toast was crisp and presented on a rack which got a +! Staff were doing their best I felt but our evening meal in the bar took forever to arrive. It was certainly NOT the fault of the one girl behind the bar, nor the fact that the bar was empty of customers except ourselves (7) and another couple. The food when it did arrive was splendid but by then we were on a second bottle of wine. All in all...........a disappointing expereince. Scotland's Hotel needs to raise the bar.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled on business
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
MarcGardner, General Manager at Scotland's Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded July 21, 2008

Thank you for taking the time to complete your review. In response to your valued comments, All of our bedrooms vary in size however I am looking into the possibility of combining some of our single rooms with the neighbouring rooms to make them bigger.
Please rest assured that I will certainly deal with the housekeeping issues i.e not replaceing bathroom products or the removal of dirty glasses and for this I would like to apologise. The residents bar is open untill 12 midnight.
I would like to also apologise to you and fellow guests for the delay in entering the hotel during the early hours of the morning. This system has been addressed and replaced.
I would like to thank you for your kind words about breakfast and the food served during your stay. I can assure you that all of your comments have been taken on board and I hope to welcome you back to Scotlands sometime in the future

Reviewed July 16, 2008

Arrived 2 hours after the allocated check in time and were made to feel somewhat of a burden by the scowling receptionist. Once up to our room it hadn't even been cleaned, even having had ALL DAY to manage. After hulking our baggage all the way back down we received no apology from staff only surprise that the room wasn't clean -

"..It isn't clean?!!?..."

"...No it is, i just enjoy carrying my bags everywhere and waffling rubbish for the entertainment of others..."

Having been moved from one room to another, we discovered the "...stunning scenery..." involved a large wall. I can only assume this room would be for the fans of Victorian wall Architecture. Unfortunately neither myself or my girlfriend were so, once again, we were left somewhat let down.

When heading to bed we were kept awake by constant noise that ranged from repeated banging of doors and objects to voices and shouting from the night workers.
On a plus note the bed was rather comfortable. Every cloud as the saying goes.

In the morning it was a struggle to even have logical discourse with staff regarding our breakfast as unfortunately for non-Eastern European people, English speaking staff with an adult grasp of the language were few and far between. Plus whomever cooked our breakfast was seemingly either blind or lacking opposable thumbs.

All in all though it wasn't just the hotel, it was the entirety of Pitlochry and its sad decline from a once picturesque area. It is sad to see such a wonderful looking town, steeped in history, ruined by the tourist trade. £4 pints of lager? Pub food served in takeaway boxes? Boil In The Bag burgers passed off as pub food? Waitresses with less table manners than a stray dog? yes Pitlochry has all of this. What price have the locals paid for their heritage to cater for 50 busloads of tourists every day of every week of every month of every year?

We won't be back to any part of this area for a long time.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
MarcGardner, General Manager at Scotland's Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded July 18, 2008

Thank you for taking the time to complete your recent review. I am dissapointed that you did not enjoy your visit to Pitlochry yet I can only respond to your comments about the hotel and not Pitlochry as a tourist destination. I would like to apologise for you being checked in to a room that was not ready, this was human error by the housekeeping staff and with a new system in place this has been addressed. I can only apologise for the poor view from your room, Most of our bedrooms have great views and for the noise during your visit from other hotel guests again please accept my apologies. I would like to talk to you directly if you would be so kind as to contact me directly at the hotel.

Reviewed July 11, 2008

Stayed here recently with my wife and young child. Hotel was a little tired and our room was ok with nice soap/ shampoo provided. Pool and spa bath pleasant but sauna door requires repair and the changing facilities are poor. Staff did bring a glass of water when using the sauna which was good.
Evening meal was of a poor standard. Roast beef was mainly fat left at side of plate and the staff were a little lost when delivering our wine or water. All but one member of staff we spoke to appeared to be foreign.
Would not recommend this hotel for food but to be fair, the staff were friendly enough.
An average stay and we would be unlikely to book again.
Pitlochry is a lovely little town and i found it depressing that the watermill inn pub charged hotel prices for drink.
Tourists must feel it a rip off visiting some of these nice
Scottish Towns.

Stayed: July 2008, traveled with family
MarcGardner, General Manager at Scotland's Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded July 13, 2008

Thank you for your recent review, I am pleased to announce the refurbishment of the leisure club will start later on this month, this will include the changing rooms and the sauna area, with a new treatment room being added. I would like to thank you for your comments about our friendly team I will certainly pass your comments on to the staff. Staff training will be taking place re wine service & we are also in the prosess of changing our menus. I have also addressed the issues in the kitchen. I hope that you will return soon, enabling me to reinstate your confidence in Scottish Hospitality.

Reviewed July 10, 2008

I went to this hotel with the family and had a really good time. The staff were great very friendly and polite. The rooms where nice, clean and tidy not to mention the best shower ever. The food was great with a great variety for all the family, staff where pleasant and very efficent. The leisure staff were very good, the pool was lovely and well maintained had a great sauna. i would highly recomend this hotel for all the family including the kids very child friendly.

1  Thank cherylc22

Thank you for your kind words in your review, I will pass on your comments to the team who will be delighted. I look forward to welcoming you back to Scotlands in the near future.