“Winter Wonderland”

Ranked #17 of 18 Hotels in Pitlochry
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
“Winter Wonderland”
Reviewed January 20, 2013

My family & I have just returned from another great stay at Scotlands Hotel.
The staff and managment care about their Guests, the food is good and well presented.
The leisure facitilties and pool are really nice and very clean, the rooms are clean, warm and comfy.
We all enjoyed our few days and cant wait to go back.
WELL DONE Scotlands keep up the good work,

Room Tip: I have stayed in different rooms within the hotel and each have been of a high standard.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
DonaldMacleod, General Manager at Scotland's Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, February 10, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us, thank you for all your lovely comments and glad you enjoyed your stay with us again, thanks again for your lovely review

Donald Macleod

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (343)
Crieff, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 20, 2013

We came along last night to join our 12 friends for a meal who were spending the weekend on a D,B&B basis in your hotel. My husband ordered a sirloin steak which was completely rotten and stale, it had an awful cheesy rotten strong smell and was obviously not fit to be eatten. The chef should have caught this on while cooking it and was totally unacceptable that this was allowed to be served to us. We were offered a replacement but because of the disgusting smell it put my husband completely off. He did however decide to have chicken instead which arrived without any chips so by the time the chips eventually arrived my husband already had the chicken ate. We both had ordered a dessert at the time when ordering the meal which all of a sudden wasn't available after we had our meal and we had to choose something else which we didn't really want. (We felt this was the chef getting back at us at this point!) as this came across as being very odd.
The waitress collected the plates from our table before everyone was finished eatting which I thought would be a complete no no, especially as they didn't ask if we minded or not.
The dining room was freezing cold, we all sat with our coats on, I know it was snowing outside but this is no excuse.
The manager did not deal with our problem regarding the rotten steak well. We said we didn't think we should have to pay for the steak, the manager told us 'we can't give away free meals' We disagreed with him and said that it wasn't fair making us pay for something that was rotten. After a unsympathic discussion the manager eventually decided to waver the cost before storming off in an abrupt manner. A strange way of dealing with a problem especially from a 'manager'. His customer service skills definately need to be upgraded and fast. This manager then proceeded to ignore and avoid our friends over breakfast - not the proper attitude of a manager.
After this horrible experience our friends and ourselves have said they will never be back to this hotel.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank dawniou
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent dining experience with us, firstly my apologies that the steak you received was of a poor standard I have spoken with my chef about this as we get our steaks in packs of 5 and all the other steaks were good we have taken this up with our butcher to try understand why this could happen, my apologies if the restaurant manager was slightly off with you when complaining.I myself did contact you the day after I had received your email and apologised for the way this had been handled. I do hope you'll return again as for the sweets not being available that was geniue the kitchen did run short again my apologies. Thanks again for your review

Donald Macleod

Travelers are raving about these Pitlochry hotels

Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 20, 2013

After reading some of the reviews of this hotel, we were not sure what to expect. However we couldn't have asked for any thing better.
We were on a 2 night bed, breakfast and evening meal deal bought through groupon. We had to pay an extra £30 for a Saturday night stay which was well worth the money.
When we booked in the receptionist was first class and obviously knew her job. She was friendly and helpful.
The room was good but a wee bit dated. It was a good size and had everything we needed. The bed was comfy. The room was spotless.
Dinner was excellent both nights as were the breakfasts.
All the staff were eager to please and all were friendly.
The spa was great for a hotel of this size.
We would not hesitate in recommending this hotel. All in all a great weekend.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank 186525JohnM
DonaldMacleod, General Manager at Scotland's Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, January 21, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us at Scotland's, glad you came and decided for yourselves to find out how we are. Thanks for all your lovely comments and I'm glad you enjoyed yourstay with us, thanksagain for yout lovely review

Glasgow, Scotland
Reviewed January 18, 2013

Through an online deal I purchased a 2 night DBB deal for half price. At half price it was acceptable, I think at full price I would have walked out and gone elsewhere.

I have real mixed feelings about this and really want to rate it higher, because the staff were lovely and the location was excellent, in fact the food although not modern was tasty. I'm trying.... the truth is the hotel is so dated and so very tired it's just not what today's travelers expect. On arrival, it's a lovely building, there's free parking and it's right off the main street, so very handy for a walkabout. The receptionist was lovely...after that it went downhill. The lift is a badly carpeted thing...when I say carpeted, I mean the walls too and not even very well, there are bulges in the wall and it's not even cut straight or edged. I think I could have done a better job after a bottle of wine... Ok, it works and we got used to it. The corridors are milky brown, and I mean everything, the doors, the woodwork and the woodchip walls. Its like that scene out of Mr Bean where he lets a paint bomb off in the room and everything is the same.

The room was a good size, but so drab and depressing. The bathroom had a shower curtain which didn't really stop the water spraying everywhere as it wasn't quite long enough to stay inside the bath. The old sash windows, although beautiful had no secondary glazing and the traffic started at around 7am every morning (the gritter at 6), that coupled with the creaky floorboards outside the door was just too much to sleep through, so no lie ins. The mattress would really have benefited from a mattress pad on the top as I could feel the springs pressing into my hips, 3 days after returning they were still bruised.

Dining lacked a few finishing touches. the inclusive wine we had with our online deal wasn't offered and one of the nights we weren't asked about drinks until the starters were on their way. We were presented with burnt toast at breakfast and were never asked if we wanted brown or white bread, Ok, little things, but when we both prefer wholemeal and a mixed tray only offers 2 small pieces and the rest is white, it's noticeable. Also the breakfast portions were a little on the small side, one sausage, one rasher of bacon etc seemed a little stingy for the £17.95 price tag and although we had our daughter with us, we never offered any children's menus or smaller portions at any of the meals. What I would say however, is the menus changed each evening, which was good and the food, although old fashioned, was well seasoned and tasty.

Finishing on positives, the pool was enjoyable and we loved the lounge off the bar, which was like an old hunting lodge with lots of comfy chairs and couches. There's a great range of whiskies to try at very reasonable prices and we had a lovely time chatting to other guests. The hotel really attracts a laid back client and everyone was so friendly. Times are hard and money is tight, but when things pick up this hotel should invest and it'll be a real treasure.

Room Tip: The 1st floor is actually ground level at some parts and the noise from the road is loud due to sing...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us, sorry you feel the hotel is dated we get the hotel re-painted twice yearly by outside contractors and my maintenance man keeps up with all the other issues on a daily basis, the hotel is an old building and I'm sure you understand it takes a lot to maintain. Thank you for the lovely comments about my staff I'm glad they looked after you during your time with us. We do have some new staff and we do need to fine tune them its all the little things they need to remember. Thanks again for your review always helpful.

Reviewed January 12, 2013 via mobile

Don't look for much in life. This was a great place to stay. Everything about it was grand. Stayed over an extra night and they also gave us the same rate as the previous nights . So if you don't ask you don't get. FANTASTIC 10/10

• Stayed March 2012
2 Thank Harkie1
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us at Scotland's Hotel, glad you enjoyed your stay with us and that everything went well thanks again for your review

Edinburgh, Scotland, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 10, 2013

Stayed here last minute as we were passing through Pitlochry. Reception staff were friendly and gave us a decent room rate (though still over £100 for one night) so we decided to give it a go. Room was excellent with comfy furnishings in loads of space; I think it was a junior suite. Bathroom was very dated and not really in keeping with the rest of the room.
Tried out the pool facilities, which were OK, though one route to get there takes you through the dining room and function suite! I thought charging for a towel at the pool was unnecessary.
Breakfast was a disaster. We had to wait for about 25 minutes or so to get a table for two, even though there were lots of empty tables in the dining room. Staff were rushed off their feet, leading to a very average service that bordered on being rude. One of the waitresses found it all a bit much and very publicly broke down into tears. When the cooked breakfast arrived, I was very unsure about the black pudding, which appeared to be frothing as it sat on my plate. The rest of the food was edible but not great.
I found the whole experience pretty average to be honest and won't be returning for another stay.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Bands33
DonaldMacleod, General Manager at Scotland's Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, January 12, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us, sorry to read that everything never went as well as it should have, depending on what room your in their are two ways to get to the pool without going through the restaurant when open. My apologies if my waiting staff were rude to you normally they are the very opposite polite and helpful. Thanks again for your review and again my apoligies that you never enjoyed your stay with us

Reagrds
Eyemouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 7, 2013

This was our second stay at New year at the Scotland Hotel and I could not fault the very friendly
staff who all worked so well. Food was excellent and the chef buffet on new year night was out of this world.Well done to Donald and his staff for a great new year and hopfully be will return again this new year..

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank bordersgirl406
Thank you for taking the time to review your New Year break with us, thank you for your kind comments will certainly pass onto all my hard working staff and let chef know how much you enjoyed his New Year buffet. Thanks again for your lovely review and hope you'll be here again soon