“Two day stay at Pitlochry”

Scotland's Hotel & Leisure Club
Ranked #17 of 18 Hotels in Pitlochry
Reviewed March 29, 2012

My wife and I had a wonderful time at Scotland's , the staff from reception to restaurant could not be more helpful .The breakfast and dinner were really good , the only fault being that it was perhaps served too quickly . Our room , 215 , was as good if not better than any room we have had across Europe and USA.We made full use of the pool ,sauna and jacuzzi which were excellant.We will definately return.

Room Tip: room 215 was first class , with wonderful view.There are plenty of lifts therefore no problems with...
1  Thank moiraandgerry
DonaldMacleod, General Manager at Scotland's Hotel & Leisure Club, responded to this reviewResponded March 30, 2012

Thank you for such a lovely review regarding your recent stay with us, room 215 is a fantastic room. Thank you for your comments about my staff their a great bunch good to work with makes my job all the more easier. Glad you managed to enjoy the leisure club and all the facilities. Thanks again for your review

Donald Macleod

Write a ReviewReviews (1,661)

Reviewed March 29, 2012

Booked this through Groupon with friends and we were looking forward to a break away. Since we had only paid £79 DBB with wine we really weren't expecting much.

On arrival we were met by a very efficient girl who took our details, our extra payment (was £59 but £20 extra for a saturday stay), and directed us to our room all without smiling.

Not the warm Scottish welcome visitors to our country should get but anyway we were still optomistic so followed the corridors as directed as they changed from lovely Scottish colours to dingy and dirty woodchip with scruffy doors all the way to our room.

We had made a pact that as long as it was clean it would suffice for one night and we were pleasantly surprised. Although tiny, it was nicely decorated and very clean with a view of the carpark so we could guard our car ;).

Once unpacked we ventured out and found The Old Mill Inn where we spent a lovely afternnoon in the sun drinking beer and listening to the lovely Scottish live music. We had some food and the manageress regularly came round to check everyone was ok making us feel very welcome.

When we returned to the hotel, we found that there was actually another staircase that led directly to our room, why did the receptionist not point us in that direction? She was still there on our return, still not smiling.

At the bar for dinner we met what can honestly be described as the rudest and most unprofessional barmaid i have ever come across. She was very cheeky to my husband who bantered back initially but eventually became tired of her cheek. When he asked her to bring his wine bottle to dinner she said "Why can't you carry it yourself?". She did bring it but as she dumped it on the table, she said "how do you know I haven't done anything to it?". To say we were a bit bemused at this point is an understatement.

Later we ordered another bottle of wine and it was she who brought this to the table also at which point she surpassed herself by commenting to my friend's husband that she "hoped his salmon was horrible".

I am all for a bit of banter but this was making us feel very uncomfortable and it spoiled our meal.

The meal itself was ok although the reviewers saying the food is excellent can't eat out very much. The food was ok considering what we had paid. What i did object to were the huge supplements for certain dishes. £5.95 extra for one starter, £9.95 EXTRA for a chicken breast.... I could buy 10 for that price at my local butcher, and £5.95 extra for cheese instead of a pudding.

Since I am not a fan of sweet things I opted for the cheese having been assured the portion was big enough for four to share. I'm sure it would have been if we had beeb given what I had ordered. It stated four different types of cheese served with crackers, grapes and chutney. What came was some brie and a cheddar, none of the blue cheese described and something which resembled the end of an old piece of parmesan. All served up with bruised and battered brown grapes.

When I asked the waiter where the blue cheese was he hurried to the kitchen to check but came back to tell me it had run out and they had forgotten to tell the staff!! He couldn't identify teh "parmesan" but was in agreement that this is what it looked like. He immediately offered to remove the cheese course from my bill and that is what happened.

The staff in the restaurant are what saves this hotel as is the fab Finan Haddie I ate at breakfast. The cooked breakfast didn't look great and was left mostly by my husband and my friend although her husband really enjoyed his scrmabled eggs with smoked salmon.

The waiting staff were attentive and polite at all times. They reacted promptly to any request and actaully saved this review from being really bad.

We won't be back, even on a groupon deal. The receptionist and the barmaid put us off returning especially when we passed the barmaid as we were leaving and she didn't even glance in our direction.

Scottish hospitality? Not here.

1  Thank bonvoyagescotland

Thank you for taking the time and reviewing your recent stay with us,Very sorry that my receptionist was unwilling to smile on your arrival, I'm sorry not all my staff are as accomodating as my waiting team,my apologies that my barmaid was so off hand will certainly be having a chat with her about customer care and where the line is again my apologies.Our extra charges on our daily menu are their just as extra options and are priced accordingly. Sorry to read you won't be returning thank you for your review.

Reagrds

Reviewed March 29, 2012

Had a great weekend at this hotel & leisure club, the hotel is in an ideal location in the centre of Pitlochry, staff on arrival very friendly & helpful, the hotel very clean & has a greaat feeling to it, the rooms are spotless & quite roomy, bar & restaurant staff nothing is a problem for them, food excellent & fresh & a good choice on the menu, did not use the leisure club but it was never empty & the residents seemed to use it quite frequently, the reason for my visit was the river Tummel runs right through Pitlochry where my partner & I had 2 day's of great fishing (never caught anything) but Salmon leaping about everywhere, things to do, there is plenty to do from nature walks, fishing, boating, cycling, visits to the whisky distillaries, the festival theatre, the hydro dam with the man made salmon ladder allowing the salmon to go bypass the dam to go up river to spawn.
Summary, Really worth a visit My partner & I will almost certainly be returning to this hotel & resort, had a great time.
Hope this review is helpful.
Cheers, Paisley Bowler.

Room Tip: Don't really think it matters where your room is, the area is a busy place but seems to respect...
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple

Thank you Paisley Bowler for taking the time to place such a fantastic review. Seems you both had such a great stay with us and my staff looked after you so well. Will pass on your comments to my chef regarding your meals. Never caught a fish great river thou another time and the weathers been fantastic also. Thanks again for such a lovely review and hope we'll see you again soon

Reviewed March 24, 2012

booked one night bed and breakfast with the intentions of enjoying relaxing in the pool and jacuzzi.however on arrival found this to be out of action.room was modern and clean however the double bed mattress was long overdue to be replaced.,didnt get much sleep.found part of this hotel badly in need of an overhall.staff friendly and busy.unfortunately would neither recommend this hotel or return to it either.not your usual cregar quality hotel

Room Tip: no comment
1  Thank Colette H

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us, my apologies that my Jacuzzi was out of order during your visit it has since been repaired took a lot longer than i expected. We have ordered new mattresses and again my apologies that you never got a good nights sleep. Thank you again for your review

Reviewed March 23, 2012

If you are looking for five star luxury (and no doubt prices to match), or over the top hospitality and 24/7 service then don't stop here. But thats not what it says on the tin. In fact, you probably get a little more than the label suggests complete with friendly staff.

This is a good hotel which delivers what it says it will with a smile. The accommodation is comfortable and clean, the staff are helpful and attentive, the food is good and served with a friendly and helpful smile.

Ask for anything over and above the standard and they are there to help. In fact, I would even say that the staff will go that little bit extra if you ask them to. They are happy to talk to you if you want to and honest and helpful. They advertise their ratings on trip Advisor and encourage you to leave comments which is always a good thing.

Add to that the fantastic Scottish surroundings and historic views from the outward facing rooms and you should be happy with what you get, which is definitely good value for money.

Check out their website before you go for the best deals and try the small lift at the end of the hall where the building moves down rather than the lift moving up - great fun!

Room Tip: Ask for an outward facing view with a shower only rather than a bath as the fixed shower heads are n...
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time and posting such a fantastic review. Glad you had such a wonderful time during your break with us, the staff here are a real asset as it makes for such a great atmosphere in the hotel also helps that their all chatty and know the local area.Will certainly pass all your kind comments onto all my staff nice to be appreciated and thank you again for such a lovely review.

Reviewed March 22, 2012

Just returned after a 2 night deal with Groupon Room and meals good Disappointed that jacuzzi not working to be told would be fixed by next day. Having now read previous reviews to see jacuzzi has been out of action for SOMETIME !! Either get it working soon or state in information put on web site. Had looked forward to relaxing at end of day Decor dated but clean. Staff friendly and efficient. Break made perfect by great weather and brilliant scenery.

2  Thank 714traveller

Thank you for taking the time and posting a review of your recent stay with us at Scotland's. You'll be glad to know the long term broken Jacuzzi has now been repaired my apologies it took so long being its such an old machine we had to explore all options to find the problem.Thanks again for your review

Reviewed March 22, 2012

My wife and I enjoyed our Groupon 1 night dinner b&b stay including a bottle of wine. At £59 for the 2 of us, this was very good value. Everything was good, making the booking, room, dinner and breakfast. Staff were friendly and busy. Hotel was clean and functioned satisfactorily although a thorough refurbishment is needed. Central Pitlochry location.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time and reviewing your recent stay with us, thank you for all your lovely comments about the staff and food. The hotel does havea rolling maintenace program and with such a large old building this does take time. Thanks again for your review