“Stunning scenery....shame about the greens”

Pitlochry Golf Club
More attraction details
Owner description: This scenic Highland 18-hole golf course starts with a few steep holes, but becomes an easier game through the remainder of the layout.
Reviewed May 28, 2012

We visited Pitlochry golf club last Sunday and from the drive to the course to the 18th hole the scenery is absolutely breathtaking...words could not describe but even if you do not usually appreciate scenery and nature I doubt tat anyone could not walk off the course feeling more alive. The course itself is very challenging, full of character and very very hilly. You know you have played a round after walking off so if you ain't physically fit hire a buggy. Most holes are tree lined and although the course is fairly short you need to be very accurate off the tee to rack up a good score. The only disappointment we had were the greens which were very dry and very bumpy. Never holed a putt all day was missing three footers because the greens were taking the ball very strange routes. I puts this down to the recent dry weather and the fact that only a month or so before the course was covered in snow. The clubhouse is very nice and the food was excellent... Not to be missed!!! They do a deal on Sundays £99 for four including the carvery but please note that the carvery ends at 4 pm so make sure you tee off early

There are newer reviews for Pitlochry Golf Club

Reviewed May 25, 2012

I played Pitlochry Golf Course on the 23 May 2012 and I have to say the greens were an absolute disgrace, the course was scruffy and to be honest I was really disappointed in the place which I have played a number of times on visits to Scotland over the last 20 years and really enjoyed.
If I was the owner of the course I think I would be having a rethink about the future careers of the greens staff as they should be ashamed having greens in that condition at this time of year. I queried why they were so bad and was told it had been vey cold through the spring and there was no growth until the last 2 weeks, however I also played Gleneagles, Crieff, Blair Atholl & Spey Valley during my holiday and their greens were in excellent order 100 times better than Pitlochry. The excuse on the weather does not stack up and I think it is down to poor course management.

The professional staff were excellent very helpful and welcoming as were the clubhouse staff and the food was tremendous and value for money. Recommend if you visit the town of Pitlochry you should visit the clubhouse for a meal but do not consider playing the course as it will spoil you visit and is not cheap.

Management response:Responded July 11, 2012

We are sorry to read that you did not have an enjoyable experience on Pitlochry Golf course. In recent years we have enjoyed good greens; however the greens struggled at the beginning of this year due to an exceptionally cold spring restricting growth. We appreciate how important it is to have excellent putting surfaces and have a long term strategy in place to improve our greens and allow us to sustain a good quality putting surface throughout the year. As the warmer weather (well slightly warmer!) has arrived our greens have improved and are now receiving many compliments. We realise that this is no comfort to yourself but do hope that one day you may come back to Pitlochry and enjoy a better conditioned golf course and some warm highland hospitality.

Reviewed May 21, 2012

Pitlochry Golf club is quite a special course: Even after your first round, you'll walk off remembering every 18 holes. Each and every has it's character and distinct marks. Recent years careful amendments have been tasteful and well constructed (fences, paths, signs). Visitors are greeted with a signpost saying they are welcome - and that's more than fullfilled be the actual experience.

Reviewed May 17, 2012

Conveniently close to the excellent b&b we were staying at, Torrdarach House, we went here for a meal on their recommendation. The meal was good, but what made it stand out above others was the friendly helpful service of the staff.

Reviewed May 15, 2012

Do not usually think of a golf club when looking for meal, but this was great for straightforward good quality food in an attractive setting on the outskirts of pitlochry. It takes a bit of findingBut is signposted from the high street.