“Reasonable food but terrible service”

The Fisher's Hotel Restaurant
Ranked #35 of 57 Restaurants in Pitlochry
Reviewed October 18, 2013 via mobile

We arrived in Pitlochry to visit the Enchanted Forest. As transport was leaving from the Fisher's Hotel, we decided to have a bar supper as this would be quicker than going to a restaurant (or so we thought). My wife and I entered the bar area with our 7 year old daughter, which wasn't too busy.

I should have realised what we were in for as the waiter was walking around the bar area aimlessly with two main courses asking every table, including us while we still had our jackets on, if the order was for them. He eventually found the table he was looking for, next to us, who promptly told him, yes the mains were theirs but they were still waiting for their starters.

We selected what we wanted to eat and drink and I went to the bar to order where I was the only one waiting to be served. Three staff were in duty and all kept popping through the back the coming back through, smiled then disappeared again. One said they would be with me in a minute, however after a further 10 minutes I had the grab their attention and ask if anyone was actually serving. The reply, " I thought you were already being served".

So order placed, starters, pâté, soup and garlic bread for our daughter, mains, macaroni for our daughter and wife, fish and chips for me, dessert, sticky toffee pudding for our daughter, and a round of drinks.

After some considerable time the chef brought through our starters and placed the on the bar, where they sat for about 5 minutes. Then a barmaid lifted them and made to bring them to us, however stopped and placed them back on the bar so she could serve a customers drinks. A further 5 minutes passed and the food was brought to us. Then we had to ask the waiter for cutlery and condiments including butter for the oatcakes and my roll. He came back 5 minutes later and I had to ask for a spoon to eat my soup. Off he went again for another 5 minutes before returning. My soup was lukewarm by now.

Starters finished and waited ages for table to be cleared. Then ages for the main course. Again we has to wait for more cutlery and when it arrived the waiter asked what we needed and proceeded to remove a fork by the end we were supposed to put in our mouths, to give to us. We had to stop him at that point. We had now been there for 1 hour 20 mins and had 15 minutes before our transport left.

We wolfed down our mains then the waiter asked how we were enjoying our meal, big mistake! I told him of the issues and he apologised saying that the girl who took the order was new. I pointed out that this wasn't the issue and he apologised again.

In the end we didn't have time for our daughter to have the dessert she had been looking for and she was quite upset.

In the end 1 hour 40 minutes for a bar supper before an event! Food was tasty however service was terrible. We did complain to the manager who refunded the cost of our daughter's meal.

Avoid at all costs

1  Thank Dawn K

Reviewed October 15, 2013

Went for a bite to eat before going to the Enchanted Forest. Really tasty and good value for money. Relaxing atmosphere .

Reviewed October 14, 2013

The choices were excellent for three star hotel and would highly recommend it..Service very good and very efficient.Very relaxing and no pressure..

Reviewed October 8, 2013 via mobile

We went to the Enchanted Forest which meets at Fisher's Hotel, so we decided to grab a bite before going. The plates were dirty, the food was terrible and the service from the waiting staff was lacklustre to say the least. Very drab dining area, which could do with a lick of modernisation.

Our plates were dirty, with one of out side plates hosting a lovely dried cheese and rocket concoction!

There is no value for money. The food is, at best, 3 days ago's entrée's. And you part with at least £9.95/ per meal for the pleasure.

Can't say that I didn't leave disappointed, and a little sour at the bill.

Reviewed October 6, 2013

The two breakfasts and two evening meals we had were absolutely first class, it is worth a visit. The staff are all very friendly and nothing is a problem to them.