“Don't bother!”

Cuisines: Scottish
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed November 10, 2012

Myself & my partner had lunch here whilst holidaying nearby. It certainly looks better from the outside than in...
Firstly, we had to go and ask for the menu after sitting there for ten minutes, waiting for the waitress.
We fancied the soup & sandwich deal, however, only one flavour of soup is offered with no alternative. So, we chose to have a baked potato - the menu describes the potato in such a way that we were really looking forward to it... what a let down :-((
The potato was not cooked completely, and had gone waxy rather than fluffy. It was served with minimal filling, and no offer of butter to go on it either... Very disappointing for something that cost almost six quid.
I had a glass of milk - the first one smelt and tasted sour, so I sent it back. The waitress told me that she had just changed the pot, so knew it was fresh. She returned with another glass, which was still a little 'weird' tasting but better so I kept it. The waitress said "hmmm, well it's from the same pot so...", which I took to be a "nur nur, told you so" attitude.
Neither of us particularly enjoyed the lunch, and to be charged over £17 for two potatoes and two cold drinks just made us feel irritated. Service wasn't up to scratch either.
Don't bother with this place - go to Hettie's down the road instead...

1  Thank Lorraine B
Karen-Strathgarry, Manager at Strathgarry Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded January 29, 2013

I can only appologise on behalf of all the team here at Strathgarry, We as a team will take all of your comments on board, your feedback is very important to us, to allow us to learn from our downfalls, and recify any future situations that may arise concerning customer service. if you feel that you were not given the service you required, then we can only appologise for any misgivings.
Your feedback has been very important from a training point of view, we will as a team use your comments to build a more effective team within Strathgarry

Reviewed November 6, 2012

We had lunch and dinner here over the course of a long weekend. Both were great. It's a lovely cosy place and they use lots of candles in the evening to make it look welcoming. The main menu is the same for lunch and dinner, and they do an early bird dinner until 7pm which was great value. Steaks were cooked to perfection, exactly as requested, haggis was delicious, sandwiches were generous and had good quality ingredients. My favourite restaurant in Pitlochry.

Thank you for your comments. All our Chefs within Strathgarry strive to deliver local ingredients cooked to the highest standard, your feedback is very important to us, I will pass on your comments to the team here at Strathgarry, who are always pleased to hear comments from our customers

Reviewed November 3, 2012

We walked up and down Pitlochry checking menus (3 veggies in the party makes this important) and atmosphere, before picking this contemporary bistro place. But it looked better than it was. The pasta with vegetables should have been great but the pasta tasted reheated. Mushroom soup had slimy lumps in.

Worst part was the very slow service which drove us a bit nuts in the end.

Thank you for your comments, your feedback on your experience is very important to help us improove our service requirements to our custommers, Our team of chefs only use the freshest of ingredients, which are cooked to order, so hence the delay upon your visit, which I appologise for on behalf of the team here at Strathgarry. we do recognise that during busy periods this will hinder speed of service within the restaurant. We will use your feedback on your experience to rectify our service proceedures in the future

Reviewed November 2, 2012

Empty when we arrived at about 16:30 ordered our food which arrived in reasonable time and was very tasty.

A bit pricey for what we ordered but the portion size was good.

Waitress was very attentive But have heard it can be a bit of a wait when busy!

Karen-Strathgarry, Manager at Strathgarry Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded February 7, 2013

thank you for your comments, your feedback is important to us, we feel that we have price branded our menu choices to reflect the quality of the produce on offer. We are happy to hear that you were happy with your food, as all out chefs here at Strathgarry strive to produce exactly what you en-titled your review , namely "Good wholesome food". Your comments will be passed onto our chefs, who are always pleased to hear comments from our customers

Reviewed October 29, 2012

We popped in here for lunch as it looked quite nice from the outside. We waited an eternity to be served, ordered a soup and a sandwich and a baked potato. The mushroom soup was ok until I found a blue piece of plastic floating in the bowl. The sandwich was cheese and onion. I was expecting more than the basic sliced bread with a cheese slice and a mound of raw onion roughly chopped. The potato was grey and mushy and the cheese was comparable to my daughter's Cheesestring. Needless to say we didn't eat it all. It took forever to get the bill, and after mentioning the blue plastic, I got an apology but the waitress didn't ask anymore about it. The only good point was the price of the soup was deducted from the bill. A bad experience and not to be recommended.

1  Thank dmcgarva

On behalf of the whole team here at Strathgarry I can only apologise for your unhappy experience whilst visiting us for lunch, all of your comments will be taken on board not only by myself as part of the management team here at Strathgarry, but accross the board to ensure that all customer service proceedures are re-evaluated and performed in a more constructive manner. Our team of chefs cannot apologise enough if you feel that the dishes you ordered were not to your liking, I was unaware of your situation, and had I had full knowledge of your concerns I would have dealt with your situation personaly. Thank you for your feedback concerning this matter, we at Strathgarry will endevour to build up our customer service, from both front of house and kitchen service .