“Review of the pub not the restuarant”

Moulin Hotel Restaurant
Ranked #18 of 54 Restaurants in Pitlochry
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Cupar, United Kingdom
“Review of the pub not the restuarant”
Reviewed April 14, 2013

We have been here a few times. The place is cosy with a log fire, the seating is mainly booths. The menu is extensive, usual pub grub + some scottish specialities. Unlike some of your other reviewers we have not had a bad experience.

• Turkish first
Leicester, United Kingdom
“The Inn vs the Hotel”
Reviewed April 10, 2013

Although the Moulin Hotel Restaurant is purported to be the subject of these reviews, most reviewers are writing about the Moulin Inn: the pub attached to the hotel, and the oldest part of the complex. The Hotel and the Inn have two separate websites, but (I think) one chef. One can order the bar menu in the restaurant, but not the restaurant menu in the bar.

We love the Inn, love the buzz, love the Moulin Brewery beers. In fact, we chose to stay locally in order to make this pub our local during our holiday and went there every day in early April. And we had a whale of a time drinking their fine beers and people-watching. We ate in the bar on our first night: fish and chips, which were good, tasty, and good value. But the menu has not changed in the years that I've visited, and the specials board didn't change during the week this year. And because I found myself jaded by the bar menu, I changed my plans and decided not to try the restaurant menu later in the week.

The rating is quite high, because the beer is fantastic, the service is friendly, the atmosphere is happy, and the food is mostly good (the exception being the puff pastry topping on the meat 'pie', making it merely a stew with a lid). The bar billiard table, the bird feeding station, the view from the garden tables, and other facilities are lovely. But it would be nice to have variety in the menu. Perhaps bring the restaurant menu to the bar? Or expand the bar specials? Or update and ring the changes on the menu itself? The rating would be off the scale then.

Visited April 2013
“Save your cash - dog but not child friendly”
Reviewed April 8, 2013

Visited this pub based on recommendation of a friend. On arrival looked cosy enough. Found a table near the bar & spent 5mins or so wrestling with an uncooperative high chair. Had a browse of menu which looked fairly expensive for pub lunch. On ordering at the bar a good 10mins after arriving & getting drinks we were told the baby couldn't be at the bar (a rather cowardly manager had told the barman to tell us to move). The place was busy & no other seats so no option but to drink up & leave!! I understand we may have been breaking licensing laws by being in bar area with child but for goodness sake manager have the courtesy to politely ask us to move 10feet of so to another table & I'm sure you could have accommodated us until a table came free. I'm sure the local police aren't that unreasonable! Why did you wait 10minutes & sell us drinks when we werent welcome??
We then went to the old mill inn in Pitlochry & couldn't have got a better reception. Our toddler was made welcome too .

Visited April 2013
1 Thank Boffins
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Really nice food and a warm comfortable atmosphere”
Reviewed April 7, 2013

Having spent the day in Pitlochry decided to visit the Moulin Inn (attached to the hotel) for lunch. On a cold day the open fire created a warm welcoming atmosphere and the staff were very friendly. The meal we had was very good, a beef stew in an individual Yorkshire pudding, all homemade and not a "ding chef" in site. I noted a previous review who claimed the food was very expensive. I'm afraid I disagree, the average prices for a starter was about £4, main meal was around £8.95 with a sweet around £3.50. They also cater for children. The prices were pretty much the same as any restaurant in the area and to be honest we looked at some of the menus on the main street in Pitlochry and most were pretty average fare . Fish and chips, burgers and steak pie. The Moulin provided an extensive menu with something for everyone. I would definitely recommend a visit if you are in the area. there is also a small brewery next door which merits a wee visit.

Leven, United Kingdom
“Great pub food”
Reviewed April 7, 2013

Ate in here after a hike up Ben Vrackie. Firstly the inside and inside of the inn are lovely and traditional with wood furnishings and no plastic in sight and a cosy log fire you can sit next to. As for the food, I had deep fried chicken in batter and my girlfriend had mince and tatties, both meals came in at around the £8 - £10 pound mark, were substantial and great for pub food. For the price you couldn't ask for more. There was a quite varied menu as well and a children's menu which was for children up to twelve. I would also recommend their own ales which they brew in a brewery behind the inn. I can't recall what ale I had but it was the strongest one on the list and it was amazing.

I would definitely recommend the moulin hotel for a bite to eat, especially if you've just been up Ben Vrackie as its a great place to relax afterwards and it right at the end of the walk.