“Very disappointing hotel”

Ranked #5 of 18 Hotels in Perth
Perth, WA
“Very disappointing hotel”
Reviewed January 12, 2010

Cold, shabby room; untrained and unprofessional wait staff who were rude and unhelpful; when choosing a table for breakfast further away from the others as my friend and I both have hearing difficulties we were told 'you're causing chaos'; wait staff on NY morning made rude noises and exclamations when guests asked for specific items from the menu; the car park was not kept clear of snow or gritted which mandated the use of expensive external parking; the pavement outside was not swept or gritted for the convenience of guests; no water for almost 24 hours which did not elicit the slightest apology from management or staff and no discount or compensation offered for the inconvenience of any of these service failings. A dinner dance was being held within the hotel and the package deal was GBP 55. We only booked a dinner which was served separately in the dining room but the hotel still charged the full GBP 55. When queried, the attitude of the management was 'your tough luck'. Apalling hotel, will never use it again or recommend that anyone else does.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with friends
3 Thank Alphalacey
theroyalgeorge, Director at Royal George Hotel, responded to this review, January 22, 2010
Following your negative comments with regard to your stay over Hogmanay I would like to reply to the points you raise.
I trust that you agree Scotland, and Perth, suffered an unprecedented and nationally documented cold snap over the Christmas and Hogmanay period, dropping temperatures to a record low of minus 17oc. The Royal George dates back over 230 years, whilst the water pipes are not that old, in some areas they do date back prior to the days when pipes were lagged on installation, and some are not all fully accessible. I do not deny that we, along with thousands of residential and commercial premises in the country, suffered some frozen pipes! I will point out that whilst two other rooms and our kitchen suffered frozen pipes for a couple of hours, no other guests, in the additional 44 bedrooms, suffered loss of water for “almost 24hrs”. Whilst there is nothing we could do about the weather, I apologise for your inconvenience. I would however like to point out that most of our guests appeared to understand that this unique weather situation thrust upon us, had caused a couple of issues, but by and large, they seemed to combat this by having a glass of wine by the log fire, or watching the Tay freeze over from the Sun Lounge!
A burst mains water pipe in the tenement building in George Street between Christmas and New Year, resulted in the flooding and subsequent freezing of the car park. The heavy snowfall over this period then lay on top of this frozen layer. Breaking it up was virtually impossible, and with the snowfall continuing, and a lack of local grit and salt available (Again it is widely documented, that the council had commandeered all salt and grit supplies in the area for use on the public roads) we decided it was safer to leave the car park covered in snow, giving some grip for tyres and feet, rather than a layer of sheet ice. You do fail to mention that the car park was still in use, and the majority of guests who brought cars, managed to use this service without issue. Where guests required pushing or towing out, this was arranged.
You could not have booked dinner only on Hogmanay, simply because we only offer a dinner dance, for obvious reasons to bring in the New Year. This was advertised on our website and in the national press throughout December. In fact the conservatory, an 80 cover restaurant, was opened up specifically for your party of three (which I might add was booked for four, but only three turned up, and you fail to mention you were not charged for the no show) and your table were the only guests dining in this room! That should confirm that dinner only was not on the menu that evening! The reason you were charged, as explained to you during your stay, was that your party had a space, which was left empty during the dinner dance, which would easily have been resold, had we known you were not to be attending. On any of your correspondence including the email which booked the four for dinner, you did not mention you would like dinner or indeed served breakfast away from other guests.
I hope the above has gone some way to explaining your comments, and I also think it is important would to point out that your guest, who shared your room and checked out after you, thanked us for a “wonderful stay”. Her words, not ours.
I trust you had a safe and enjoyable journey back to the warmer climes of Australia.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (173)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Calgary
Reviewed October 20, 2009

I enjoyed Scotlad and the Hotel. The staff was very friendly and made our stay very enjoyable. Breakfast was included and was more than I needed.

The only knock was no elevator.

• Stayed October 2009
Edinburgh
Reviewed October 17, 2009

I first stayed in this Hotel an year ago, and I wasn't impressed. In fairness, I only stayed one night as my plans changed - so I didn't write a review.

I stayed here for 2 weeks at the end of September, start of October 2009.

The two best things about this hotel are the food and the staff - and I can't decide which is top.

The staff are friendly and welcoming and the food is good, hot and huge portions. The public areas are nice, warm and clean and the Hotel is always busy.

The first week the room the room I was in had a gloomy, dark feel but was comfortable enough. The floor was uneven and sloped towards the door which had the effect that when in bed it felt as if the bed was trying to tip me out , roll me towards and out of the door. I managed to overcome that.
The downside of the room was the cleanliness - there was left over tea in the pot, the glasses were dirty and I spotted an earplug on the floor behind the bedside cabinet and it was there from Sunday, when I checked in, until Thursday. The bedding seemed clean as far as I could tell but I was never convinced the floor had been hoovered. One day I didn't get a towel in the bathroom.

For the second week I had The Royal Stewart room (where Queen Victoria had stayed) and sadly it isn't fit for a Queen any more - the bedspread was stained and had crumbs (possibly crisps) on it when I arrived and again the glasses were not clean.
The room was covered in Royal Stewart tartan and I guess the tourists love it but as I was there on business my needs were different. In both rooms I would have liked a bit more light, a desk for me to use my laptop at and a bigger TV (with more channels). Access to a full size ironing board would have been great instead of the half size Ikea board hanging in the wardrobe.

There is free wi-fi but only in the public areas downstairs.

The hotel itself is old but charming and the location on the banks of the Tay is lovely. The new conservatory is a very nice place to eat and the food is fresh and in plentiful supply.

Two mornings I didn't get a cooked breakfast as there was not enough staff to serve everyone.

The Royal George is one of Perth's top Hotels but just needs to concentrate on the small details in the bedrooms and bathrooms.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled on business
Scotland
Reviewed September 26, 2009

We held a large family wedding reception, meal and dance at the Royal George. Booking much of the hotel throughout the weekend everyone enjoyed themselves and the service was great, facilities particularly comfortable and relaxing. The new conservatory overlooking the Tay and viewing the old Perth bridge was beautiful. Service was excellent and attention to detail ensured our wedding day ran smoothly.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with family
waterford
Reviewed September 17, 2009

attended my daughters wedding and all the guests had nothing but praise for hotel [location,atmosphire, food, service, and staff.]

• Stayed September 2009
Basingstoke
Reviewed August 29, 2009

This was my 3rd stay at the Royal George. Its is a lovely well looked after tradional hotel, a little quirky perhaps, with squeeky floors, and some may say out of date in some ways. It has an unrivalled position backing / fronting on to the river at Smeatons Bridge, and only 1 minute walk from the Inch (A huge open space next to the river). Also right near the city centre and concert hall. A goood menu with good to average food, High Tea is highly recommended by locals and rightly so, if a bit filling. Staff are friendly and polite, rooms clean, if a little outdated. The main restraunt in use on my stay, was a huge conservatory style room recently refurbished has a panorama over looking the river and bridge. The other dining room was used for breakfast. A charming hotel - definately not in the style of a "chain" great for exploring Perth and the area.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled on business
Aberdeen
Reviewed August 26, 2009

I stayed here, with a group of 13, for a golf weekend in August 2009.

The Hotel is very traditional, with old world character and charm. The rooms, whilst not modern and minimalist like chain hotels, were bright and spacious and very clean.
The rest of the hotel was very clean and I was particularly impressed when I observed, during the day, a cleaner wandering about cleaning small marks off of glass and brass surfaces.

The staff obviously take a pride in the hotel and were very courteous and helpful.

We were on a B&B rate and the breakfast was good, with individual orders taken for cooked breakfast, as opposed to the normal mass scrum at a hot buffet.

In conclusion, a very good traditional hotel and good value at the price. Would definetely stay here again.

• Stayed August 2009