“Good choice”
Review of Royal George Hotel

Royal George Hotel
Ranked #7 of 18 Hotels in Perth
Reviewed July 13, 2014

We stayed at this hotel just for the night after T in the Park.

The staff were all great and extremely friendly. The breakfast in the morning was brilliant and the restaurant has lovely views out to the river Tay.

Our room had a beautiful view of the Tay too although a little bit dated.

Would definitely consider this hotel again if I was staying in Perth.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple

Reviewed July 11, 2014

The Royal George is my favourite hotel in Scotland - Why - because it has all the atmosphere of a delightful country home. Mr. & Mrs. Anderson are simply delightful and nothing is too much trouble. This is the second time I have stayed in this hotel with a garden Tour. It's small so we are always the only group in the hotel and they could not treat us any more special. Yes the hotel does not have an elevator, (lift) but how many delightful country homes do. When we arrived they had all the staff on duty to grab the bags and take them to the rooms. This was done with precision and did not in any way minimize the service to the independent guests in the hotel. The food was brilliant, the breakfast first class and the relaxed atmosphere in the bar area, perfect. Another review mentioned the "out of tune" piano in the bar, but that did not hinder one of the independent guests treating us to a wonderful performance for at least 40 minutes after dinner one night. If you want glitz and glamour - then this is not the place for you, but if you want true Scottish hospitality and the feeling of staying in someone's private home, then the Royal George is the place. Stay and be enveloped in a warm cosy atmosphere. If it was OK for Queen Victoria it was certainly OK for us Gardeners,.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank Robyn G
Reviewed July 8, 2014

We held a family wedding here on 5th July and would recommend it to anyone. All the staff were great, particularly Gary and Michael who made sure that everything was in order and the (often tricky!) guests looked after.

Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank DH_Perth
Reviewed July 6, 2014

Having spent time in Perth when I was a child, it was my childhood ambition to stay at this hotel. Well I was very disappointed,... after rejecting the first room we were given a room overlooking the Tay.....lovely..... on entering the bathroom we were again disappointed . this needed updating and a safety issue would be the shower head at the opposite end to the taps also if you wanted a slip mat for the bath you had to ask at reception!! As i have difficulty getting into the bath this was not good . The window in our bedroom didn't open.. this was a safety issue. The bed was comfortable but a bit large...were does ECO come into this. The breakfast time was total . ,. we waited at ten minute intervals to be served with our requirements. No choice between butter or flora...my first time in a hotel were there was no choice. I would not recommend this hotel if you are of the older generation...No lift.....
This hotel was focused on functions and bus trip, and not on the leisure traveller.

1  Thank Kate S
Reviewed June 26, 2014

My wife's family would always stay at the Royal George whenever possible. We just had a three night visit and enjoyed it very much. The view of the bridge and River Tay from our room was classic. Breakfast was special with great service. My only complaint is the tight parking area, however there always was a space for our car. We will certainly continue the family tradition and stay here whenever we visit lovely Perth.

Room Tip: Great location from which to explore around Perth on foot.
Reviewed June 25, 2014

I travel regularly for business and being only in my early 20s when I turned up to this I thought I'd gone in a time machine and I'd hate every second spending my night with OPA's. However not that bad......

After some terrible parking by myself in the teeny weeny car park I lumped my case up a flight of stairs to check in. I then lumped my bags up another two flights of stairs to my room. I like to believe I am very fit and yet after this I was sweating buckets and needed some water. Upon entering my VERY green room my first instinct was to check my phone. To my horror.... No signal. What a nightmare. Second instinct, check out the bathroom..... VERY black but yet modern which was more my style but very odd leaving it to go back in the time warp. Other than that room was good, bed was very comfortable. I was woken up in the early hours however due to the high tide of the river outside being very noisy but I found this more interesting than annoying. As I'm a city girl and we don't have rivers! Ha.

Had dinner in the hotel in the dinning room which is like a massive sun room. Me and my colleagues have since had endless conversations about your 'English' tradition of tea & toast as a starter. I'm again not complaint though as I love tea and toast. Food was yummy and so was the stand of fresh scones and macaroons for dessert. (your very nice waiter was pretty tasty too) stayed in the bar until quite late which was no problem to anybody I even had a go on your very badly tuned piano! Breakfast the next morning was lovely... Even more toast haha.

Overall I'd stay here again for work purposes, not a choice for a personal trip purely because of the style of the hotel.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank Tbaker23
Reviewed June 23, 2014

after spending about 3 weeks deciding where to stay we finally decided to stay here,it proved to be a great move location is perfect staff were brilliant and the room overlooking the tay was superb(no 31)breakfast was brill so much choice and we had awesome weather,so all in all we were very happy with our stay at the royal George hotel

Room Tip: ask for a river tay view and the weatherspoons 3 buildings down the road is superb.