“Superb lunch”

Ranked #5 of 18 Hotels in Perth
Glasgow
“Superb lunch”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 8, 2014

Had a day out, including lunch here yesterday – a treat from my mother-in-law for a significant(!) birthday. I got to choose the venue (we travelled from Paisley) and plumped for the Royal George for its riverside location.
Glad I did – it was the best lunch I’ve had in ages, and my m-i-l agreed. Great food, well cooked and presented, professionally attentive and friendly staff, reasonable pricing, topped off with a superb view of the Tay in spate.
If I’m back in Perth, I’ll be back here, whether to stay or eat!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (170)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Dufftown, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 7, 2014

I booked in on spec; needing a place to stay while in Perth on business. What a lovely find.

I had a long drive so was tired. but as soon as I walked in I felt comfortable. Comfy leather chairs, old fashioned decor (which I really like) and a really warm welcome from the receptionist.

The lounge bar has sofas and an open fire. A great place to relax. I sat down there for a while just reading; which I seldom do in a hotel except in a bedroom.

There is something about the place that just makes you feel relaxed. It is not modern, so if you after lots of modern up to date features you will be disappointed.

The rooms was very comfortable and it looked like it had been done up recently. Very clean, good big bed, very clean and modern bathroom.Everything you need.

I ate in the restaurant. I only wanted something light; pasta. They did not have this on the main menu; but no problem I was able to order a very tasty lasagne. Very happy.

I was really struck by the quality of the staff. Without exception they were very very good. I was so impressed that I went to the reception desk and told the duty manager. They deserved a mention. This makes a good hotel.

This would be a great hotel for a romantic stay or a sight seeing trip to Perth. It is in the centre and overlooks the river.

The car park is small so be aware of that.

I will stay again and will recommend it to others.

Room Tip: See if you can get a room that has been refurbished - they are great.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 7, 2014

A lovely hotel in a lovely position... very handy for the concert hall, which was the reason we were there. However it was the staff that made the stay here so exceptional... there were 8 of us, including four pensioners... we never felt like we were an inconvenience, in fact we were made to feel totally welcome from the moment we stepped through the door to the minute we left. Michael in the bar put up with our pensioners' banter and joined in with them which they loved. The reception staff were extremely helpful. The food is lovely - and if you need an early dinner... the high tea at the Royal George is a brilliant idea, and good value. We would definitely stay here again if we find ourselves in Perth.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Warkworth, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 5, 2014

our 3rd stay at the Royal George and as good as ever, the room overlooking the Tay was very comfortable and spacious. the staff are very welcoming and the owner is a nice man coming over to speak, the food is very good and if you have a sweet tooth you must try a meringue the best i have ever had.

Room Tip: high floor, river facing
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 4, 2014

I was staying here after working at the local Concert Hall recently. I must say I was really impressed. The hotel is star rated as a 3 star and the service I received was great.

On check in I was greeted by a friendly young lady who explained the breakfast routine to me and explained how to get to my room.

The Room - the room was spacious and clean and had a window with a view of the River tay and a bridge that lights up beautifully over night.
The bathroom was modern and had a good bath and shower. They provided toiletries which I didn't expect but was very welcome.

Breakfast had a large selection from a cooked menu and also a continental selection. I'm quite fussy about what I eat and the lady taking my order was more than helpful in catering to my needs. She also informed me that they would be able to make something available to me as I would be leaving the following day before breakfast is served. They delivered a paper bag with yoghurt, cereal bars, fruit and juice to my room at 6am ready for when I left at 6:30. I was very impressed.

Overall the service was great, my room was nice and clean and I had a great nights sleep.

The only areas of concern i had were the car park isn't very well signposted - but anything larger than the notice they had would not sit well with the character of the buildings and surrounding area. Also the floor in my room was quite creaky so I became self conscious about the noise i may be making to the room below.

I fully recommend this hotel if you're stopping in perth on Business or pleasure.

Room Tip: Ask for one with a view of the Tay
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Glasgow, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 3, 2014

We stayed for 2 nights in February. We have previously stayed in a few hotels in Perth and this is the one we would go back to. The room was beauifully decorated (quite recently I would think) and the bathroom was a good size with a really long bath which filled up amazingly quiickly. The breakfast was very good and both mornings we had a window table looking over the river which was lovely. I ordered the full breakfast but without the meat items and expected half a plate of food but they completely filled it. The staff were great especially the lady on reception and the young man behind the bar. The hotel is right in the centre of the town so is handy for everything. The only things stopping me from giving it a 5 rating - the toileteries were not replaced on the second day so my husband and I had to wash with what was left of .the one wee handsoap from the previous day. Luckily I had taken my own shampoo but I know when we go back again to take shower gel with me. The main complaint was the layout of the room - when we went in the door I did not notice that there was a step up into the bedroom and one up into the bathroom and I fell (according to my husband I just missed banging my head off the furniture) My leg was quite sore for a couple of days.We noticed when we were in the coridor some rooms had a wee sign on the door warning of the step but ours didn't. It was a bit scary going to the bathroom in the night in case I fell again. I will make sure the next time we get a room which is all on the same level. But all things considered this is definately a hotel worth going to.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with no steps inside
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 3, 2014

I stayed over at this hotel on Saturday night as I was attending a function in town. I must say from the moment I entered the front door I was impressed. The hotel is full of character. The receptionist was very welcoming and as I travelled to my room I could see this hotel was in full swing. There was a function room set for a meal, the restaurant was busy and the bar looked cosy. After getting ready, I popped down to the bar and could hear people remarking on the quality of the food. It he bar staff were very friendly and I only wished I'd been eating. I returned later on and had a great nights sleep The room was really clean and fresh. I will be back soon. Well done and thank you!!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled solo