“A good place to stay”

Ranked #5 of 18 Hotels in Perth
Ticehurst, United Kingdom
“A good place to stay”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 4, 2013

We stayed twice in on week, once on a Saturday and then on the following Wednesday. On the Saturday, the place was very busy but there were plenty of excellent, well trained and helpful staff to ensure that everything ran smoothly. On the Wednesday, it was much quieter but there were sufficient staff of exactly the same quality. Many hotels could learn about staff training from the Royal George. We had excellent suppers and breakfasts. Some of the rooms are a bit "tired" but they are comfortable, warm and quiet. If passing through Perth or if visiting the City, this is a very good place to stay.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (170)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Perth, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 25, 2013

My recent 60th Birthday was held at the Royal George. We live in Perth so we know what a great location the hotel has. But many of our guests booked in for the night, and were very impressed at the location and value for money the hotel represented ( generous discounts for guests). Refurbished rooms with views of the River Tay.

We were very well looked after from the moment we booked our function until the last guest left. Mr Eddie Anderson's (hands on owner) experience and attention to detail ensured a successful party .....he assured us not to worry about anything.....we didn't .....and he was right we didn't have too! The food was delicious .....traditional fayre well cooked and presented.

Our expectations from this privately run family hotel were exceeded. Thanks to everyone who made the night such a success.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
West Riding, UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 24, 2013

Guests have been coming to this hotel for over 200 years but how is it for the modern traveller? Still, of course, in an unrivalled position on the edge of the city, overlooking the Tay and its famous bridge but now only a cock stride from one of the UKs best medium sized concert hall as well as the other Perth attractions. Inside, modernisation has taken place, limited somewhat by listed building status - there is no lift so disabled residents must have adequate mobility. WiFi is only available on the ground floor and is of variable quality. The lounge and bar area is comfortably furnished but some of the seating has obviously been well used!
The staff are generally friendly and helpful, particularly so in the dining room. On Sunday, there is no dinner on offer, but traditional High Tea consisting of tea and toast, a cooked course with a reasonably large choice and ending with cream scones and meringues - but there is some flexibility. Dinner offers a good à la carte choice which is well cooked and attractively served. Breakfast is excellent. There is a good choice and the hot dishes are cooked to order.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Aberystwyth
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 10, 2013

This is the second time my son and myself have stayed in the hotel and hopefully we will return several more times. We come up to Scotland for a few days fishing every Autumn and have found the hotel to be clean, comfortable and staff to be very friendly and extremely helpful.
Parking can be a problem and you may have to park on the street, however for us it was not too bad as we would be away in the morning just after eight and arrive back about seven in time for a G&T (or two) and dinner.
The food is excellent, fresh veg. and fruit and good quality meat. The one thing I think that lets it all down is the "french fries" which are those horrible frozen ones. When everything else is of a good high standard I can not understand why they serve such rubbish. (I did mention this in my last review as well)

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank glynh
St Albans
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 8, 2013

We got married at the Royal George on the 2nd November 2013. From the first time we met the owners Eddie and Lorna (and all their staff) they were utterly fantastic. They offered great advice from start to finish so listen carefully. The hotel is ideal as a venue for up to 110 day guests and some more at night. The food is as good as you get in the most expensive UK restaurants but with bigger portion sizes! Great value, lovely bar, great staff, warm open fires, comfortable bedrooms and all located in the heart of Perth looking onto the River Tay. Eddie is calm throughout and offers lots of good free advice - he is your free wedding planner! We will be going back for a weekend at some point as we loved it so much and our guests all thought it great too!

Room Tip: Try to get one with a view of River Tay but all rooms are very good.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
Liverpool, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 8, 2013

I struggled to find the car park never having been to Perth before, so when I finally arrived at reception i was very relieved to be there! I was "greeted" by a male receptionist who obviously is working too long and hard and doesn't have time to put on clean, fresh clothes. He mumbled to me the general direction of my room but I ended up having to ask someone else. The room was fine, clean and comfortable.

I sat in the beautiful restaurant for dinner and was served eventually by staff who looked terrified of an older woman who was barking orders to them. They were obviously very busy with a function and extremely under staffed so I didn't mind waiting a while for my drink and food. When my meal did arrive it was completely drowned in oil and my chips were still frozen in the middle. I tried to explain this to a waitress who didn't seem to understand English very well, so I left a little hungry and disappointed for my bed.

When I rose for breakfast the buffet table looked fantastic but the 2 women serving were run off their feet and again my meal was disappointing with the scrambled egg being cold, runny and unseasoned.

This is obviously a fantastic business but they are going to be closing pretty soon if they don't employ more staff!

• Stayed September 2013
3 Thank Travelmadchick
Perth, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 3, 2013

The Royal George is an excellent hotel/restaurant! The views are stunning over the river Tay, the staff are so friendly and welcoming. When you first enter you see marvellous hall ways and everything's very slick and well organised. If you wish to order food you could do so which i did and WOW I was blown away with lovely flavours nicely presented to you on the plate, and I'm not a big eater but you can order half sizes which I found very handy indeed, that way you can have 3 courses if you so wish !!! Honestly I was blown away with it all :) I will be looking forward to returning with my loved ones and friends for more delicious meals served by friendly staff.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family