“Low Standard stick to a Holiday Inn Holiday”
Review of Royal George Hotel

Royal George Hotel
Ranked #7 of 18 Hotels in Perth
Reviewed February 26, 2013

Very Poor Service, Breakfast poor quality, Dinner reasonable for price paid, would not return
overall worst hotel i have stayed in. Staff are nice and helpfull even though they are working hard to the extreme, could be a great hotel if they employ more staff in the kitchen.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank majorcalover
perthshotel, Owner at Royal George Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 8, 2013

Dear Majorcalover

I must admit your review has left me somewhat confused! I tried contacting you via Tripadvisor to establish when you stayed and to get a more specific details of your complaint, but unfortunately over a week later, I haven’t heard back and decided it was time to reply to your comments.
You open up by describing very poor service, yet then go on to describe the staff as both nice and helpful, which doesn’t make a great deal of sense to me. I assume it is the service from the staff you are complaining about in the first instance? You then go on to describe dinner as reasonable for the price paid, yet award us 1/5 for value! Bearing in mind you make no other reference to price, I again find this rating surprising. Not finished, you continue to describe the hotel as the worst you’ve ever stayed in, yet give us 5/5 for sleep quality, 5/5 for our rooms, and 5/5 for our cleanliness – again all very confusing to me, but thanks none the less for awarding us full marks in all of these areas, not to mention the 5/5 you award for location.
Breaking down the individual marks you give the hotel a very respectable 73% (yipee) yet issue us with one 1/5 in an overall score (Boo). Maybe it’s just me, but it’s all very confusing. Finally I note your blatant plugging of the Holiday Inn on our site, which I find of no relevance, especially as you do not seem to have reviewed your stay with them – all strange, but all true.

Reviewed February 9, 2013 via mobile

Stayed one night at the royal George and the service was great. The room was basic which is what would expect could have done with a freshen up as a wee bit tired breakfast was pretty good. Will be happy to stay again as ticked all of the boxes to keep me happy. The staff were the best asset to the hotel they should keep this up.

• Stayed: February 2013
2  Thank aberdeenbigeater

Thanks your comments and taking time type them up on this site. I am delighted to hear your service was great and you would be happy to return, which is in effect the best review we can receive as a business. I note your points on the bedroom - we do have rolling programme of refurbishment, and in 2013 alone, have completed a total four bedrooms The Morning Room, The Boardroom and are in the final throws of completing our main bar. We are of the opinion that upgrading and refurbishment are vital to our progression and continued success as a business.

Reviewed February 1, 2013

Despite the difficulty in actually getting to the Royal, one way streets, the dismal private parking area and the climb up many steep flights of stairs we were welcomed most royally. The hotel exudes old world charm. It is a step back to a more formal time. Regency atmosphere and decor in the main public lounge and bar. Huge fireplace. The restaurant area is modern and looks out across a neat garden area to the River Tay and Smeaton Bridge. Our room was huge, very comfortable and surprisingly quiet considering it faced the main road. We have recommended this hotel to our friends and would not hesitate to stay here again if we ever visit Scotland in the future.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank LITTLEWHISKERS

Thank you for your kind comments on your stay at The Royal George, I am especially pleased to hear that travelling all the way from Australia you described your welcome to Perth and hotel as Royal. Apologies for the one way system, there is, unfortunately, little we can do about that, and the car park, as I have commented on before, harks back to the hotel construction, over 240 years ago, when horses, rather than cars, were of greatest concern to the architects! We would be delighted to welcome you back to the hotel in the future, but in the meantime we’ll settle for any of your friends!!

Reviewed January 28, 2013

Stayed at this hotel on business and was pleasantly surprised. The staff was fantastic and my colleagues and I enjoyed a wonderful meal. Overall a great value hotel with great staff and would have no hesitation in recommending this hotel to others.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
3  Thank BelfastDonal

Thank you for some great comments, and taking the time to post these on Tripadvisor. I am delighted to read your praise of the staff, and your dinner. It's great to hear you felt we are offering value for money to our customers, and that you would consider recommending The Royal George to your friends, which in itself is a fantastic comment for us. Many thanks.

Reviewed January 28, 2013

Stainless steel teapots that dribble, a used cup on the table (oops it must've been leftover from breakfast), plentiful toast that arrives at the table Hot, paper doilies, a big plateful of individually wrapped butter portions, not enough napkins (for the spilt tea), more tea (and again more tea), chips that aren't as good as they should be, the rest of the plate piled so high who cares if you don't eat the chips, are you ready for your cakes or would you like a rest, the lady at the next table wraps up a scone to take home for her dog, and last but not least the meringues arrive, topped with a little too much rather bilious cream and a half a strawberry. This is Perth's busy and bustling Royal George on a Saturday tea time, where the staff are friendly rather than perfect. I've deliberately given a 3 out of 5 rating because it's rather refreshing that not everywhere is five star or perfect - with a price tag to match. I can't even imagine how dull a five star high tea might be. Bring the whole family!

Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank Girl_on_the_GoiNBaku

Thanks for a great review, albeit I would have loved more stars (it helps with the rating!). We say long live the high tea institution that is The Royal George! Yes you’ll be bombarded with lashings and lashings of tea (occasionally served in dribbling teapots!) and toast, struggle to finish your main course only to be faced with copious creamed meringues and creamed scones (cue doggy bags!) all while enjoying views over the City and The River Tay. Bustling? Yes, Perfect? We try to be, Value? (from £10.75) We think so. Bring the whole family? We hope so!! Thanks again, great review.

Reviewed January 21, 2013

The George is so well positioned I wish it were less fousty. It feels dated and in need of a facelift. We came in for a private function and although the staff were all friendly and helpful the food was pretty unimaginative. Perth needs a really good hotel. The George could be it but not without investment and imagination.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Frank_Doris
perthshotel, Owner at Royal George Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 24, 2013

Dear Frank_Doris

Thank you for your comments. I am unsure in which room you attended the private function, as you do not specify. I doubt it was The MacGregor Suite which was fully refurbished last year, and both The Boardroom and The Morning Room were completed last week (with the exception of the curtains in The Morning Room, as we await the arrival of some Harris Tweed.) The Main Bar is being refurbished in February, and if you keep up with the news on our website or facebook page, you would be aware that we refurbished over ¼ of our bedrooms last year alone, and continue to do so. I thank you for your positive comments on friendliness and helpfulness of the staff, but would like to point out that the final decision on the menu choices for private functions lies with the people organising the function, in this case, the people who were presumably kind enough to invite you to attend their function.

Reviewed January 20, 2013

Three of us decided to have a high tea here despite being warned against it. We were shown to our table by a very nice polite young man who had just been spoken to very rudely by an older lady who appeared to work there. He took our order and all was fine up until this point. We received our food which came with chips instead of my requested potatoes and then hardly saw anyone again? We had to get up to ask for drinks and deserts. When we asked for the bill, again we had to go look for someone, so when asked was everything ok I decided to mention about the service (nicely) and the staff member asked did we want to speak with a manager. I said yes. He tried to persuade me otherwise but I insisted. Out came the rude older lady from earlier with a face like thunder practically dragging our waiter towards us! When she screamed at us to ask what was wrong I actually said it doesn't matter as I felt sorry for the boy. She demanded to know, telling us they were busy with a wedding as her voice was becoming so loud that others in the Restaraunt were beginning to stare. She ventured into a screaming argument with my friend and I had to de-escalate the situation! She then relented slightly as my friend refused to pay and stormed off! My other friend and I both paid in full as I did not trust her not to call the police! As we were leaving the staff member who tried to persuade me not to ask for a manager apologised to us saying this happens all the time and she is known as a tyrant in Perth. It turns out she was in fact the owner!
This was the worst experience I have ever had in a restaraunt!

• Stayed: September 2012