“Oh Dear - Big Mistake”

Ranked #2 of 18 Hotels in Perth
San Diego, California
“Oh Dear - Big Mistake”
Reviewed May 19, 2009

We booked a couple of nights in the Huntingtower to round off a week away in Scotland with our dog. The entrance to the hotel is quite charming and the reception area well appointed. We here booked into a 'suite' and it was all down hill from there.

The suites are really just run down rooms in a seperate block at the back of the hotel. The bathroom was quite dated with a hole in the middle of the floor. The noisy ceiling fan wouldnt turn off and the room had a very stale smell. Added to that the walls where paper thin - great if you like listening to other peoples conversations!

We didn't eat in the hotel and checked out a day early.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (204)
  • Hebrew first
Hanghou, China
Reviewed May 1, 2009

We were in Perth to attend a wedding and the Huntingtower was the main place of accommodations for guests. It is situated outside of Perth city in a beautifully quiet location. It is not convenient in terms of transportation so having a car was of great value. The staff were courteous and did their best to accommodate our need to check in early. The room was comfortable and spacious though it was located very close to the lobby on the ground floor and so was subject to the noise of general traffic. We were not informed of the breakfast time and just missed it which was unfortunate as it was included in the cost of our room. For the short time we were there it was a pleasant stay and for anyone looking for a nice "getaway" place this is one to be recommended.

1 Thank Chickie72
Norwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 25, 2009

I booked this hotel for a business trip as it was located near our office.

I booked the room and breakfast direct through work so not sure if I got a cheaper corporate rate, however it was about £53 per night (including breakfast).

I flew to Edinburgh airport, and the hotel is about a 45 minute drive away.

Check-in
I checked in around 8.30pm and there was no queue, so it was very quick. Just had to get my credit card pre-authorised, and was then given my room key ( a proper key and leather key fob, rather than a credit card style room ‘key’). The lady on reception was friendly, as were all the staff.

Hotel
The décor was very traditional with tartan carpet (which made me go a bit boss-eyed when walking up and downstairs!). The lobby had a seating area with a couple of large sofas and the hotel has a cosy feel.

Location
I can’t really comment about the location as I was there on a business trip so didn’t really get a chance to have a look around the area which is a real shame as the hotel was in the countryside and the immediate surroundings looked beautiful. When I opened my window in the morning, I could hear cows mooing and the air was so fresh.

Room
The room was fine but the rooms do vary in size. My colleague had a massive room for the same price, so it might be worth asking when you check in if the larger rooms are available.

One big negative for me were the pillows. Very lumpy, material filled (unfortunately not feather) and had seen better days. On the plus side, the room was modern, had tea & coffee making facilities, the bed was big and comfy, there were blackout curtains and there was a flatscreen TV on the wall.

The room was warm, but I could have opened the window to make it cooler. (no aircon)

I don’t know if the room had an ironing board, iron or hairdryer - I didn’t look to find out as I didn’t need those facilities. The hotel doesn’t have a gym or swimming pool, which wasn’t an issue for me, but for some it may be.

The bathroom was fine, with an over the bath shower. The shower could have been better though as it was quite weak.

Meals
My colleague and I had dinner here out of simplicity, as it was getting quite late and wanted to stay at the hotel. And what a good choice that was. We had drinks in the bar area whilst we looked at the menu. We had a 3 course meal for £19.50 each. Outstanding value as the quality was amazing. We had quite a few dished to choose from for each course. As an example, I had woodpigeon for starters, lamb for main and chocolate melt in the middle pudding with ice cream for dessert.

The restaurant was in the oldest part of the building with wood panelled walls. The ambience was leisurely and polite without feeling stuffy - very relaxing. We were not rushed and didn’t end up leaving the restaurant about 11pm!

Breakfast was included in the room rate, and I asked for breakfast to be taken in my room. It arrived at the agreed time and this was done at no extra cost. I’ve been at some hotels and the room service charge for breakfast has been £5! What a treat to have breakfast in bed and not worry about the crumbs going everywhere!

Summary
To summarise, I would definitely stay here again. There’s no gym or other facilities which you some may be looking for and would find in hotels such as the Marriott etc. If you want swimming pools and those sort of extras, then this probably isn’t the place for you.

If they sort out their pillows and their shower it will be even better.

If you want a lovely room in a clean hotel with great staff and food all at an amazing price, then I would recommend this hotel.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled on business
2 Thank willdc1
London
Reviewed April 22, 2009

Booked at Huntingtower hotel for a last minute get away to destress and forget about work, noticed the spring deal on the website which sounded great! We had dinner on one of the of the nights that we stayed, we had a little wait for the food but the taste made up for it.
On the Sunday we took a walk around the gardens and the surronding area, we found the river almond which we followed for a couple of hours and returned to the hotel for lunch which was served in the conservatory room where we sat again for a couple of hours with a glass of wine.
The second night we decided to eat out, the reception staff recommended The Bothy in Perth itself, the food was again fantastic and it was lovely to see Perth at night.
Returning to the hotel that night we saw the large Oak tree lit up in the garden (which resembled the tree from Harry potter!) the night porter let us in to the hotel and was very helpfull with our night cap!
Great weekend, thank you!

1 Thank abm289
Reviewed April 14, 2009

We took advantage of this hotel's current spring deal which at £99 DBB cannot really be argued with but thought i would post this review for the benefit of those considering paying more.

On the plus side, the hotel is in a nice location - fairly central for exploring Perthshire and it looked like it had nice grounds. Our room was very large but somehow lacking and the bathroom tiles were in great need of the grout being scrubbed and replaced in places. Our TV was also set to high volume but this could not be changed as our remote control had no back on it and only one battery - i am unsure how that can be missed by the cleaners. The hotel's dining room was quite a suprise with big comfy chairs in a nice traditional room.

However, we did have a few experiences which made me think - even at £99 why did we bother? Please do not be fooled into thinking, as we did, that the food would be good because it has two rosettes. I would point out that the AA webpage only states that they only have one rosette. We paid extra for the rib eye steak served with chips, roasted tomatoes and bernaise sauce. To be fair, the steak itself was very good but that was the highlight of the meal. The 'roasted tomatoes' were pale and tastless and were no different at all to those you would get with a £1.99 allday breakfast at a roadside cafe. I do not understand why a hotel chef would not put a small bit of balsamic vinegar on them to give them some sort of flavour if they insist on using cheap tastless tomatoes. The chips were cold and hard - i am not sure whether it was an attempt at fondant potatoes given the texture but i do not think so - i think they were just undercooked and then left out until the steak was ready.

For dessert, i ordered a cheeseboard which was supposed to have a piece of goats cheese, chedder and a soft blue cheese. When it arrived there were what we thought three cheeses but no blue cheese. Instead there was a large piece of very dry crumbly cheddar which must have been some age (and not in a 'mature' way!), a similar sized peice of yellow cheese and a small piece of goats cheese. We both wondered what the yellow one was as it was like no other cheese i had seen before and my partner laughed when i said it looked like butter - his comment was why would there be a huge triangle of butter disguised to look like a third piece of cheese but that is exactly what it was. On asking the waiter, we were informed that they had run out of blue cheese and he himself admitted that he had suggested to the kitchen that it be replaced with an extra portion of the goats cheese but the kitchen had refused and told him to bring it out like that. I would have thought that the fact that one of the cheeses on a 3 piece board is not available is something that should be pointed out at ordering but for a kitchen to send out what they did is, to me, beyond belief.

Coffee was supposed to follow but this was not offered so we gave up and went to the bar. I ordered my usual post dinner Baileys only to have a tiny nip served in a short glass. When we pointed out that Baileys is supposed to be served by the 50ml, the manager explained that it was not and that to do so without a large sign would be illegal. Every restaurant, hotel and bar i have drunk Baileys in serves it in a Brandy glass by the 50 ml - Baileys even provide a 50 ml optic for these purposes and because it is less than 22% it should be served by the 50ml. Only those with 40% or above need to be served in 25ml measures. I do not think that all those hotels and restaurants i have been in are acting illegally in doing so and although it was only one drink, the ignorance and attitude of the manager was more of the issue.

We will not be returning and even although this was a last minute booking when we just fancied a cheap night away, i wish we had stayed at home.

Northern Ireland
Reviewed April 4, 2009

I must agree with the very poor review entered by a previous reviewer in June 08 and it would seem I may have stayed in the same part of the hotel. The story has not changed. My partner and I were looking for a relaxing and romantic break but found this hotel to be quite the opposite. We were checked in by the manager who barely even spoke to us before allocating us a room in the very top room of a winding staircase of shabby, torn and dirty tartan carpet and broken handrails. The room itself was disgusting. A remnant of a bygone age of tacky decor and poor quality furnishings that had not been updated or in some parts cleaned for many years. On the second of my sleepless nights I made a list of faults:-
• Staircase to room – tattered carpet and broken rope handrail in a frankly dangerous condition. Dirt in corners and edges.
• Room generally unclean. Cobwebs found in five separate parts of the room on arrival and throughout entirety of stay. Dirt in corners of the room as well as on ledges and windows.
• Bed – tattered material with no valance. Dirty and torn base.
• Pillows – thin, stained and way past their usefulness.
• Mattress – wafer thin and lumpy. Incredibly uncomfortable.
• Bed sheet – duvet does not fit sheets. Duvet thin and duvet cover had tattered holes.
• Bathroom – outdated suite. Tiles are stained and badly need re-grouting.
• Décor - outdated and shabby. Wallpaper and curtains old and very badly faded. Carpet thin and stretched causing it to roll up.
• Light-fittings – outdated and the one beside the bed is actually broken and the beaded false crystal shade tattered looking.
• Heating – apparently unable to control heat on radiator. We had to open the windows as the room was too hot despite having turned the radiator thermostat to the off position.
• Noise – from fans or generator below our window. Constant drone and intermittent rumbling made ten times worse when we had to open the window.
• Loud creaking floor-boards
• TV – old with broken front panel. Channels not as described on notice. Only basic channels such as BBC1 to Channel 4. No Sky One etc.
• Notice in room advising guests to lock valuables in safe “To ensure the safe keeping of your property” makes me feel like the hotel has no confidence in the honesty of their staff or the security of their premises. It adds a sinister undertone made even worse by the fact that there is no safe in the room. The only item where a lock was apparent was on what seemed to be an empty mini-bar, but even then there was no key.
• Wouldn't risk restaurant or room service as I had general lack of faith in the hotel's hygiene and attention to detail.

And yet when I made my complaint to the manager I was told that the computer allocates the rooms to guests, seemingly absolving staff of the responsibilities to guest service. I was shown the rest of the hotel that had been recently renovated. I must say that I was impressed with what I was shown and certainly feel that my experience would have been much more positive if I had stayed in that section of the hotel. I would have even eaten there because the rest of the hotel seems to get regularly cleaned. The worst pill to swallow was that I paid the exact same rate (£150 for 2 nights) as other guests staying in the nice rooms.

I have yet to receive any contact from the hotel regarding my complaint and so would strongly advise others to simply avoid this property as they are clearly too used to receiving these complaints to feel any need to respond or correct their continuing mistakes.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Fair_critic_13
Arkansas, USA
Reviewed March 8, 2009

We stayed here in June 2008 as the first 2 nights of our driving vacation through Scotland. It exceeded our expectations as to the room, it was very spacious, nicely decorated, etc. The bathroom was also very well done. We did not eat in the restaurant there, opted to drive into Perth instead. The grounds are lovely and we spent a good bit of time exploring them.

• Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple