“Not so good”
Review of Huntingtower Hotel

Huntingtower Hotel
Ranked #1 of 18 Hotels in Perth
Reviewed June 1, 2014 via mobile

This was the 2nd time I have visited and I was very disappointed with this stay.

This was a birthday treat for my 45th birthday.

At check in, they seemed confused regarding the tariff and options we had booked (booked dinner option). Eventually they realised that we were on a DBB rate.

We were given room 217, up the top of a small narrow winding staircase with mis-matching and frayed carpets.

It was quite a struggle getting up the stairs with our luggage and 1 year old.

The room was in need of a good overhaul.

The walls were badly marked along with the skirtings. You could also write on the desk, seeing what you wrote through the layer of dust on top of it.

We were only there for one night so we put up with it.

We went for dinner and yet again had to go through the whole we booked and paid for the dinner option.

I noticed the Michelin Recommended window sticker was absent on arrival.

The menu price of £21.50 for three courses seemed very reasonable. The restaurant was busy all night.

The food was good if unspectacular, just lacking the wow factor.

The restaurant was pleasant enough although the set of curtains near to where we were sitting were frayed and ripped at the bottom.

Service was friendly but thet did clear my plate before my wife was finished. They also tried to clear my wifes plate twice before she had finished.

We returned to our room to find that the velux type window in the 2nd room had no curtain or blind fitted. The wee one was groucy but couldnt settle. Made a make shift curtain with a towel. Not ideal and very hostelish.

The bed was two singles zipped together. Not sure if the bed linen was fresh because we found quite a number if hairs in the bedsheets and top of the duvet.

Would we return or reccommend? Sorry it has to be a No.

Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank chilleruk
JasonDoga, General Manager at Huntingtower Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 8, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent stay, I would like to discuss some of the points raised if you would not mind contacting myself Jason Doga on 01738 583771.

I look forward to hearing from you

Reviewed May 24, 2014

Stayed here for 1 night with hubby and another couple. First impressions when driving up to the place.... Oooo very nice.
Location is not central to the city but a taxi only cost £10 into perth city centre.
Reception .. Welcoming area, friendly cheery receptionist.
Hallway and stairs ... All good till went up third flight of stairs, carpet was very old and threadbare in places, quite a climb if your an older person.
Room ... Not very big but was adequate for what we needed. Furniture a bit old. Room was spotless clean.
Bathroom ... Not very big but again adequate for our stay, nice and clean.
Breakfast ... This cost £10 and in my opinion was worth it. Plenty fruit, cereal, yoghurt etc and a good choice of cooked options.
All staff were very well presented and polite, however, we had just sat down to breakfast with our fruit and were all eating when the waitress came over and asked about cooked breakfast, personally I think that was bad manners when we were eating, I think we should have been asked before or after we had finished.
Before we left to travel home I enquired about some water for the journey, I did expect to pay for it but I think £2.60 was a ridiculous amount to charge.
Would I stay here again? Definately
Would I recommend it? Absolutely.

Room Tip: Bring your own bottled water! Lol
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled with friends

Thank you for your kind review I am pleased to hear that you would return to the hotel and recommend to others.

I take on board your comment and will look into these immediately

I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel.

Reviewed May 24, 2014

Entering the building it gives the wrong impression as it is drab and poorly lit. Climb the stairs and one pattern of carpet suddenly changes to another pattern with worn holes in it. Having said that the remainder of the hotel was not stunning but acceptable with the exception of our bedroom. We stayed in room 215 which is at the back of the hotel overlooking ugly and messy flat roofs. The extremely noisy kitchen extractor fans run from 8.00am to 9.00pm only feet from the window and delivery vans arrive just before 6.00am. Not quite the quite and peaceful country retreat expected. The room itself is probably the smallest that I have ever stayed in and I estimated that it measured an approximate grand 10ft 2ins by 10ft 10ins. There was virtually no space to move let alone unpack. There was no chest of drawers except one tiny bedside table. The wardrobe was about 2ft square and contained an ironing board, with a stained and torn cover, which only fitted in diagonally making it virtually impossible to hang up any clothes. The bath/shower room was small but manageable. Overall cleanliness was reasonable although the odd large cobweb was spotted.
The dinners were acceptable although portions were on the small side with virtually no vegetables with the main courses. One starter that I ordered was asparagus with Parma ham and I would have expected at least five or six stems but there was only one spindly stem which had been cut in half. Breakfast was reasonable although the cold options on the buffet table were poor.
With the odd exception the staff were very friendly and helpful.
I definitely won't be returning

Room Tip: Don't stay in a room at the back especially number 215
1  Thank Robin2512

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay, I am sorry to hear that it was not up to your expectations.

If you would like to get in touch in touch regarding these matters I would happily discuss with you. My contact number is 01738 583771.

Reviewed May 22, 2014

Loved this place! beautifully decorated with that lovely oldy worldy feel. Rooms very large, hotel is set in beautiful grounds and all meals were delicious. Stayed here when in Perth on business but will definitely return for pleasure

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business

Thank you for your kind review, I am pleased to hear that you will return. I will ensure to pass your comments regarding the food on to our chef and his team as he will be pleased to hear them.

Reviewed May 14, 2014

We stayed here for my work Christmas night out and had a fab time, the most slick, Christmas event I have ever attended. with lovely accommodation and nice staff. Due to this, we were glad when we spied an offer for an overnight stay. The food was exceptional, specifically the salmon and venison which are all sourced locally. We were in one of the rooms in the original part of the house this time. Smaller than at Christmas but still a far larger, cleaner room than most hotels offer. The grounds are exquisite and very well maintained, it was a real treat to eat our breakfast in the conservatory overlooking the river. We followed it with a stroll around the grounds. Lovely friendly staff too, we will definitely go back!

Room Tip: The rooms are all large but they also have lodges in the grounds, well worth asking about!
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Kerry B
JasonDoga, General Manager at Huntingtower Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 19, 2014

Thank you for the lovely review, I am thrilled to hear that you enjoyed your first visit to the hotel and that we didn’t disappoint second time round.

I look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit.

Reviewed May 11, 2014

Had a lovely stay and couldn't find fault with anything. Would highly recommend this hotel. Bedroom good size and bed very comfortable. Very peaceful and had a good night's sleep. Cleanliness of a high standard. Hotel sits in nice grounds which are well kept. Squirrels and birds seen in gardens and stream running through grounds,.

Room Tip: We were in standard twin booked through Bookings.com and also had a visit with friends who had an ap...
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled with friends

Thank you for taking the time to write this kind review, I am pleased to see that everything was to your liking and that we did not disapoint.

I hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back.

Reviewed May 9, 2014

We had a 2nd visit to the Huntingtower this week. We had a Dinner, Bed and Breakfast package. This was our 2nd visit - we had decided to go back as we like it so much last year. The Hotel seemed a little more 'shabby' this time - in need of some TLC I'd say. It was very busy with a wedding and all the rooms were full. We were given a room - which although 'double' seemed very small and dark with no view at all. I asked if we could move as we had such a nice room last time - but with it being fully booked - that was not possible. The dinner was also disappointing - still very nice - but definitely not as good as last time. Breakfast was lovely. The service was good and the hotel was clean and we did enjoy our stay - just a shame about the room.

Room Tip: Maybe ask for a room with a nice view.
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent stay, I am disappointed to hear that we did not meet your expectations on this occasion.

I am sorry to hear that you did not like your room; all of our rooms vary from size and style due to being part of the orginal building thus preventing us from makes physical alterations.

I am sorry to hear that the food you had in the evening was not up to your expectations our Chef takes great pride in the dishes that leave our kitchen and would be disappointed to hear this.

I do hope this visit does not deter you from returning, if you do wish to return we can request specific room types with a view.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Perth
Sunbank House Hotel
#1 of 2 in Stanley
Royal George Hotel
Royal George Hotel
#7 of 18 in Perth

Been to Huntingtower Hotel? Share your experiences!