“Superb hotel with great service”
Review of Huntingtower Hotel

Huntingtower Hotel
Ranked #2 of 18 Hotels in Perth
Fort William, United Kingdom
“Superb hotel with great service”
Reviewed September 1, 2013 via mobile

We stayed in this hotel on 30th & 31st August to attend a family wedding (being held in the hotel).

On the Friday night, myself, my husband, my brother and sister-in-law checked in and were allocated rooms 208 & 210, just up the stairs from reception. The rooms were absolutely lovely in decor and we loved the 'rain shower' shower. The only slight niggle was that room 210 is very small - fine for our purposes but not if you were staying for a few days.

We ate in the restaurant on the Friday night and the staff were extremely helpful when we made the dinner reservation prior to arrival. The menu is 3 courses for £19.95, with a supplement payable if you would like steak. Our food was delicious, and we found the portion sizes adequate.
There was a wedding on the Friday, but apart from some noise when guests departed at the end of the night, you would never have been aware of this.

We had an enjoyable time at our family wedding on the Saturday - again, helpful & friendly staff (with the exception of one or two!!) made everything run smoothly.

We ate breakfast both mornings and again couldn't find fault with it or the staff.

Overall, this is the first time we have stayed in the Huntingtower Hotel and I would recommend it. The staff couldn't do enough to help you, and the refurbished rooms make it hard to believe this hotel only has 3 stars. Perfect for a quiet weekend away, we will definitely return. Thank you to all the staff for making us feel so welcome :)

• Stayed August 2013
JasonDoga, General Manager at Huntingtower Hotel, responded to this review, September 10, 2013
Thank you very much for your kind review I am extremely happy to hear that you were made to feel welcome by our staff and that you had an enjoyable stay.

I am thrilled to hear you are planning to return, I look forward to welcoming you back.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (206)
  • Hebrew first
Fortrose, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 1, 2013

I simply love this unpretentious little hotel. Pretty grounds, lovely interior full of character, old original house and extension, close to Perth and friendly, pleasant staff. On previous visit stayed in gorgeous twin room in new bock, this time in newly refurbished rooms in old part. Rooms really well equipped, fantastic shower head, good sizes flat screen tv, wonderfully comfortable beds (something especially important to me), just perfect. Wedding reception was taking place during our visit but did not in any way intrude on the regular guest's visit. Lovely comfy bar and gorgeous wood panelled dining room in the old Scottish style. Meal was excellent! Tasted wonderful and beautifully presented. Breakfast served to order in the conservatory overlooking the lovely grounds. It is rare that a hotel at whatever star rating fulfils its promises. This hotel does that and always exceeds expectations. They really do want you to have a good visit! They don't pretend to be what they are not and I can't wait for an opportunity to go back and benefit from their truly special hospitality.

Room Tip: All rooms pleasant but rooms in new block are very special with lovely seating area.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Thank you very much for you’re your lovely review I am delighted to hear that on more than one occasion we have exceeded your expectations, I hope we are able to continue to do this on future visits. I will ensure to pass on your comments to all concerned.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel.
Reviewed August 27, 2013

Nice hotel. Quiet spot just outside Perth. Lots of steep stairs to rooms of which some doubles are quite small. Nice gardens, covered in snow when I visited, but no real walks in the area around the hotel.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to comment on your stay, I am pleased to hear you found us a nice quiet location. I am surprised to hear you say there are no real walks around the hotel as we are situated only a few mains from the main cycle route 77 in Perth which takes you along the river where you can go as far as Pitlochry or as short a distance as Almond bank. I hope I have the opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel where you can explore this route.
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 20, 2013

We arrived on a Friday afternoon ready to spend the weekend in the beautiful Perthshire countryside. The driveway leading up to the hotel is beautifully landscaped and the Hotel itself is stunning. At reception the staff were very welcoming and the arrival process was quick and efficient. The room, although a bit small was sufficient for our needs, squeaky clean and had all the "extras" ie tea, coffee and adequate toiletries for our needs. Although the grounds are very picturesque we could not see very much from the bedroom as the window was directly behind one of the facade's eaves. This hotel is well worth a visit and there are various money-saving packages to be considered. However, the only downside to our stay was the attitude of the bar/restaurant Manager and the breakfasting Manager. Both seem to think being sullen is the same as efficient. Smile guys, like the rest of the superb staff, it would certainly make a difference. They lack the ability to join in small chat! Wouldn't stop us returning as the Hotel and all other staff do their best to make your stay memorable.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
JasonDoga, General Manager at Huntingtower Hotel, responded to this review, September 4, 2013
Thank you very much for taking the time to post a review on your recent stay I am delighted hear you had a wonderful stay and that you would consider returning in the future. I am pleased to hear you found the staff superb and will ensure to pass this onto all concerned. I am sorry however you did not find the attitude of the managers to be the same as the staff I will look into this immediately I am happy to hear that it did not spoil your stay. I look forward to welcoming you back in the future.
N E ENGLAND
Reviewed August 19, 2013

Stayed at the Huntingtower for the Rewind Festival at Scone Palace in July. This is not my first visit and always found the staff to be very friendly staff, lovely accommodation in Carnoustie cottage and excellent breakfast. Looking forward to returning very soon.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Diane R
Thank you very much for your lovely comment I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your visit and found the staff to be very friendly I will ensure to pass this on to all concerned. I look forward to welcoming you back in the future.
Doncaster, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 14, 2013 via mobile

We stayed for 3 nights here recently as there was a family wedding in Perth. Bullet points as per our usual style below -

Plus points -

• Comfortable spacious room, easily big enough for the 4 of us when we were there.
• Lovely big bathroom with a great shower.
• Big flat screen TV on the wall.
• Plenty of sockets for hair dryer, straighteners, phone chargers etc (quite often there are never enough).
• Despite there being wedding parties at the hotel, our stay was never impacted in any way.
• Breakfast was excellent - the buffet choice was vast and the cooked choices seemed endless.
• Hotel food and bar pricing were very reasonable. We've paid more in worse places!
• Great wedding reception including the food and attentive staff.

Only 1 negative to report, there was a terrible smell in the bathroom when we arrived, the source of which was the shower curtain. This was exchanged swiftly and the bathroom given another clean.

Overall a fantastic stay, thoroughly enjoyed by all.

• Stayed August 2013
2 Thank rayandcaroline
Thank you for taking the time to post these kind words, I am delighted to hear that you had an excellent stay; I am sorry to hear about the shower curtain but happy to hear it was handle in an efficient manner. I hope I have an opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 14, 2013 via mobile

Huntingtower could be such a nice hotel with a little more attention to detail. In fairness the room (in the main building) was great: clean, very comfortable, good shower and felt as if the bathroom at least had been relatively recently renovated. But the soap is a generic hotel variety made in China. So many hotels now have something like Scottish Fine Soaps which is just a nice touch for a hotel which gets tourist trade. I don't normally fuss about soap, but its symptomatic.

The bar and dining room was a similar story. Best they could do on the beer front was Tennents, nothing wrong with that but something from one or two of the smaller breweries would have been nice. If they had bottles they weren't offering them. In the dining room dinner was perfectly good, but they couldn't do a bowl of raspberries for pudding. In Perthshire. In August. Similarly the cheese plate was straight off the Brakes catering lorry, oh but they had just grated the last of the cheddar.

I wanted to write a nice review as I am quite fond of the Huntingtower, and at current prices I wouldn't discourage anyone from staying as long as their expectations are suitably set. It feels as if its operated by a very cost conscious chain - just a little bit of tlc would transform it.

Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank LondonStravaiger
Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent stay, I am sorry to hear you did not find some of the products authentic enough for your taste.

The products on the bar are picked due to preferences from our guests all bottled and draughts beers have been changed on numerous occasions to find the most suitable product for our clientele the products we stock now have proven to be the most popular with our guests however I do take on board your comment and will look into it when it’s time to look at possible changes again.

I was shocked to hear that you were unable to have a bowl of raspberries for desserts as every day we have a fridge of locally produced fruit and vegetables including raspberries and although they maybe not on the menu as a choice the chef would have been more than happy to supply these to you.

I can assure you that our cheese selection is definitely not off the brakes lorry our chef hand picks local suppliers for all his produce to provide the best for our guests.