“Excellent 3 night stay in Perth”
Review of Huntingtower Hotel

Huntingtower Hotel
Ranked #1 of 18 Hotels in Perth
Reviewed August 14, 2013 via mobile

We stayed for 3 nights here recently as there was a family wedding in Perth. Bullet points as per our usual style below -

Plus points -

• Comfortable spacious room, easily big enough for the 4 of us when we were there.
• Lovely big bathroom with a great shower.
• Big flat screen TV on the wall.
• Plenty of sockets for hair dryer, straighteners, phone chargers etc (quite often there are never enough).
• Despite there being wedding parties at the hotel, our stay was never impacted in any way.
• Breakfast was excellent - the buffet choice was vast and the cooked choices seemed endless.
• Hotel food and bar pricing were very reasonable. We've paid more in worse places!
• Great wedding reception including the food and attentive staff.

Only 1 negative to report, there was a terrible smell in the bathroom when we arrived, the source of which was the shower curtain. This was exchanged swiftly and the bathroom given another clean.

Overall a fantastic stay, thoroughly enjoyed by all.

• Stayed: August 2013
2  Thank rayandcaroline
JasonDoga, General Manager at Huntingtower Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 4, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to post these kind words, I am delighted to hear that you had an excellent stay; I am sorry to hear about the shower curtain but happy to hear it was handle in an efficient manner. I hope I have an opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel

Reviewed August 14, 2013

Huntingtower could be such a nice hotel with a little more attention to detail. In fairness the room (in the main building) was great: clean, very comfortable, good shower and felt as if the bathroom at least had been relatively recently renovated. But the soap is a generic hotel variety made in China. So many hotels now have something like Scottish Fine Soaps which is just a nice touch for a hotel which gets tourist trade. I don't normally fuss about soap, but its symptomatic.

The bar and dining room was a similar story. Best they could do on the beer front was Tennents, nothing wrong with that but something from one or two of the smaller breweries would have been nice. If they had bottles they weren't offering them. In the dining room dinner was perfectly good, but they couldn't do a bowl of raspberries for pudding. In Perthshire. In August. Similarly the cheese plate was straight off the Brakes catering lorry, oh but they had just grated the last of the cheddar.

I wanted to write a nice review as I am quite fond of the Huntingtower, and at current prices I wouldn't discourage anyone from staying as long as their expectations are suitably set. It feels as if its operated by a very cost conscious chain - just a little bit of tlc would transform it.

Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank LondonStravaiger

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent stay, I am sorry to hear you did not find some of the products authentic enough for your taste.

The products on the bar are picked due to preferences from our guests all bottled and draughts beers have been changed on numerous occasions to find the most suitable product for our clientele the products we stock now have proven to be the most popular with our guests however I do take on board your comment and will look into it when it’s time to look at possible changes again.

I was shocked to hear that you were unable to have a bowl of raspberries for desserts as every day we have a fridge of locally produced fruit and vegetables including raspberries and although they maybe not on the menu as a choice the chef would have been more than happy to supply these to you.

I can assure you that our cheese selection is definitely not off the brakes lorry our chef hand picks local suppliers for all his produce to provide the best for our guests.

Reviewed August 12, 2013

stayed at hotel on the sunday deal £89 and you will be hard pushed to find a better sunday deal.The afternoon tea was good,the evening meal was excellent and the breakfast was good.The location of the hotel is very good as you are in the countryside but only less than a mile into Perth itself so should be reasonable for a taxi into town if you fancied that.The rooms are spacious and have hairdryer,tea,coffee,iron and board and safe,The room could do with small decoration job marks on the wallpaper table "bubbled".We were in room 410 which is on the first floor and every time someone had a shower the water tank (boiler) made a racket filling up which happened before evening meal and first thing in morning.Follow the directions from the hotel and it is easy to find.All that said I would use this hotel again and recommend thesunday deal

Room Tip: try and get on ground floor
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you very much for your lovely review I delighted to hear that you had a lovely stay and found the Sunday Special offer to be of good value. It’s great to hear you plan on using the hotel again I look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed August 11, 2013 via mobile

Got what we refer to as the Sunday night special. £89 for afternoon tea on arrival, dinner, bed & breakfast for 2. Good deal. Was asked on booking about timings for dinner. Booking for afternoon tea wasn't mentioned. I arrived with a blinding sore head and we asked if we could check in half an hour early so I could lie down. Room not ready, fair enough. We check in and mention to the receptionist we'll drop the cases and have afternoon tea straight away as I really needed to lie down. Was told that was impossible as we hadn't booked and would be able to get a slot an hour and a half later. When I pointed out we'd not been told we had to book and that this was a nonsense, was asked to wait. The receptionist checked something and told us to go through and wait. We entered the bar area, explained it all again and were told just to take a seat while we waited. It would perhaps be a 40minute wait. We waited 20minutes before I returned to reception where I asked to see the dinner menu and was told it was not yet available. I said again it was ridiculous we hadn't been asked to book and that all the palaver wasn't helping my headache. There was a member of staff with a lovely white beard and moustache who offered to try and see what could be done. We were served immediately. I was able to lie down after until dinner. We arrived slightly early in the bar and were able to order our dinner and wine for after my companion had finished their drink. The wine never materialised and we didn't bother chasing it. By that time we just wanted to chill in our room in front of the TV. We found the channel choice was poor and reception patchy even for those. Not sure we'll visit again. Don't get me wrong, the food at dinner was excellent. Cooked breakfast not so much and the choice of fresh fruit poor.

• Stayed: June 2013

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent review I am disappointed to hear that your stay was not as you would of hoped. I would like to discuss this further with you; if you are willing please contact myself or Debbie Scott on 01738 583771 and we can discuss this further.

Reviewed August 4, 2013

Stayed one night in June 2013. Our room and bathroom (bath/shower) was very large and included an in-room safe. The room was clean and quiet but clearly needed some TLC as it was bit tired. There is ample free parking. The free WiFi reception was very good.

The staff were very friendly and helpful. The cooked to order breakfast was excellent with a wide selection.

We had an excellent dinner in the restaurant. There is also a very relaxing bar area.

Excellent value for money and would stay here again.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family

Thank you very much for your kind review I am pleased to hear you had a pleasant stay and would consider staying again. I will pass all your lovely comments onto those concerned. I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel.

Reviewed August 3, 2013 via mobile

Having been travelling around Scotland for a few days we stopped off at the hunting tower. First impressions were good it is a stunning looking hotel and I can see why it has a high rate of weddings. Check in was efficient and we were shown to our room. The rooms are in dyre need of a revamp, for the money we paid we were expecting something a little more luxurious than this. The location of the hotel is perfect it's really close to the centre. We opted to have dinner in the hotel the first night. The food itself was lovely but the service was not. We couldn't help but feel there was an atmosphere between staff in the restaurant - having read other reviews I now realise there's new management and this could be the issue. With the tensions running high throughout we didn't feel we could relax as we had hoped. Due to this the second night we went into town to a restraunt called sante which we highly recommend. The hotel is very clean, most staff are pleasent but I don't think we will be returning to the hunting tower.

• Stayed: July 2013
1  Thank HH2001

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent stay I am disappointed to hear that our usually high standards have not been met on this occasion. I would like to discuss this matter further with you; if you are willing to do so please contact myself or Debbie Scott on 01738 583771 and we can discuss this further.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Reviewed August 2, 2013

Can I firstly say that we have stayed in this hotel about 6 or 7 times and each time I have rated it as excellent.
We stay here on business and for pleasure and find it very relaxing and welcoming.
I now need to "winge" a little bit about
A) The décor in some of the areas is now looking shabby and in need of upgrading, the furniture is threadbare i.e.; the chair in room 405 and the wallpaper.
B) The outside of the building is also in need of TLC , I would have thought that the Portland group would have prioritised these issues as the first impression of somewhere sticks, and as this hotel is such a busy and beautiful setting for weddings it needs to look its best !
We would like to say a big thank you to Debbie on reception who we have met so many times now she feels like part of the family, there has been a big turnover in staff and we felt that all was not well in the restaurant /bar area due to new management (staff seemed scared to stand in one place too long).
We will return to Huntingtower Hotel but please give it a little TLC

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you very much for taking the time to post your review I am delighted to hear your have used our hotel on many previous occassions and will continue to do so. I have taken your points on board in regards to the décor and you will be pleased to hear work has already started on the outside of the building. An extensive refurbishment took place over the last two years year and the rest will continue over the foreseeable future.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Perth
Sunbank House Hotel
#9 of 18 in Perth
Royal George Hotel
Royal George Hotel
#7 of 18 in Perth

Been to Huntingtower Hotel? Share your experiences!