“Poor”

Ranked #2 of 18 Hotels in Perth
Lincoln, United Kingdom
“Poor”
Reviewed July 27, 2013

I arrived at your hotel to check in Frid 26th on , this was done on a very professional manor, and was instructed on most things i would think i would have needed to know. after a long week and the last of my stops before heading South back home an evening meal would be the order of the day. On arrriving for dinner i felt like i had arrived in a soundless movie, i was greeted by a young man behind the bar who asked me to take a seat i accordingly did so, i was then handed pre dinner nibbles by a larger red faced gentleman who gave me no explanation of what was in them he then handed me a menu (upside-down) and said to the bar man could you take a drinks order from this man as he walked away in a condescending manor. 35 min later the gentleman with the red face (now even redder) as he was dishing out orders to the bar man and a young red haired girl, but seemed to be getting no where fast and more concerned on going through bits of paper, than taking my dinner order. I had to ask if i had been forgotten about. the gentleman behind the bar rectified the problem and my order was taken. 10 min later i was escorted to a table in the dining room which is a lovely setting by the flustered young girl who seemed to be running about trying to deal with a multitude of things and the only one in the dinning room, Prob not overly busy but enough to warrant service standards to be sub standard. She did apologise and continued with her very flustered service and unaided. The food i had was very nice well presented and HOT. After my meal i passed your red faced member of staff who totally ignored me so rather than return to the bar i went to my room which was very pleasant but in need of some T.L.C the walls were all patchy and needed re painted. Breakfast conversation consisted with 2 other diners who were in the restaurant last night feeling let down the same as i was.

Room Tip: Ground Floor
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank theburn m
JasonDoga, General Manager at Huntingtower Hotel, responded to this review, August 2, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent stay, I am extremely sorry that the service in the restaurant was not of our usual high standards. I would like to discuss this further with you if you would be happy to get in touch with either myself or Debbie Scott on 01738 583771.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (203)
  • Hebrew first
Shetland Scotland
Reviewed July 24, 2013

The hotel is very attractive from the outside and is set in a beautiful part of Scotland. Although the breakfast room was very bright and airy the rest of the hotel including the dining room where we had our evening meal was dark and in need of T.L.C. Much more could be done with the outside grassy area. There were several tables outside and two benches to sit at. One of these was broken in several places. There didn't appear to be anything for children to play on, which is a pity as a couple of swings or a slide don't cost a fortune. The day we were staying there was a wedding on, so maybe the staff were over stretched. Glasses from guests lay in the grass and weren't collected. Our bedroom was fine, but some of the carpets in the stairs were quite worn and shoddy as was some of the paintwork. The staff were all very pleasant and hardworking. The breakfast was good with a big selection of things to choose from. The evening meal was nice, but nothing to write home about. This could be an amazing hotel given the location, but it would need a lot spending on it. Perhaps all the wedding parties is where they make their money, but some would need to be reinvested in the hotel.

Room Tip: If weather is hot take your own fan as our window could only be opened a little and so had very litt...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Fairislejumper
South Shields, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 23, 2013

One word excellent. Great staff. Fabulous food. In beautiful grounds. Rooms are large with large flat screen tv. Good free WiFi. Superb showers. I travel weekly to Perth on business & have stayed in most of the hotels. This is one of the best.

Room Tip: Ask for one of the 400 rooms.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Thank you very much for your lovely review I am delighted to hear you had an excellent stay, I hope I have the opportunity to welcome you back again.
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 21, 2013

Irene and I took off from Aberdeen on our 1 week road trip to the west coast of Scotland and decided we would stop over in a hotel in or around the Perth area for the first couple nights. We initially drove past the 'Huntingtower Hotel' this way sign. a mile down the road we made a u-turn and checked in for 2 nights. Glad we did, weather was fabulous, so hot hot hot...the room (215) was adequate in size, very clean up on the second or third floor. All staff we encountered were incredibly polite helpful seemed to enjoy their work, especially Zoe who served breakfast and dinner on the second night. Food was top notch, service efficient with Conor in the bar delivering our drinks promptly adding courteous and unobtrusive conversation. The grounds within this hotel are wonderful for a late evening walk or walks at any time. In my opinion for what its worth the property would benefit from benches situated within the wooded area at the front and indeed directly outside and along the buildings facade. We have plans to return in August for a few days so Huntingtower, keep up the good work.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Procurator50
Thank you very much for your kind words, I am delighted to hear you enjoyed your stay and are planning to return already . I look forward to welcoming you back.
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 21, 2013

Went to this hotel for a family wedding. Paid £75 per night b&b. was very disappointed when I saw room - very dated and tired.

Was told on check in that earliest dinner reservation was at 8pm due to a wedding being on, despite us having young kids in the party. Despite an 8 pm reservation, they told us they were running late and didn't take us in til 920. Service was extremely slow. Didn't get offered a drink with our meal, had one jug of water between 5 adults and this was not refilled. After 1 hr 30 mins some of the party left without desserts they had ordered as had waited so long and it was late.

Showered and got ready the next door, put up the sign for room to be made. By 1.30pm nothing was done and meant our beds were unmade and wet towels everywhere when getting ready for wedding. Was told they make up wedding party rooms when guests at weddin...not really god enough, especially as we left in on door.

Nice cosy hotel for a quiet weekend, but seriously lacking with the service!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Abi S
Thank you for taking the time to comment on your weekend with us. I am extremely disappointed to hear of your experience as this is not the usual high standards that we deliver to our guests. Please be assured that the matters you have raised will be investigated thoroughly by our management team as a matter of urgency.
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 20, 2013

Wanted a wee break as the weather was great and decided on Huntingtower because of location and reviews. Booked through Booking.com and got a nice email from the hotel welcoming us and encouraging us to make any requests. Drove up to Perth and had a lovely three hour wander in town and lunch at Willows. Checked in and got room 417 which was upstairs and lovely. Huge bed, nice seating area and lovely bathroom. Any criticism? The walls need a bit of decoration as quite a few marks on them. No problem though. Went down to the back garden and sat there with cool drinks. Very hot! We booked dinner at 7pm and went down to bar about ten to. We were seated in the bar and given menu to browse. Good choice and excellent value with 3 courses and tea/coffee for £19.95. Wine was decently priced and I ordered a South African Pinotage which was £15.95. Food great, nice portions so we could slip the Panacotta into our tummies. Sat outside again and watched kids enjoying themselves. One of the most important things for me is wifi so me and Paddy the iPad can keep up with the world. Free wifi here and good wifi. Don't understand how so many hotels charge and stupidly expensive.

Would I recommend this to others? Yes. Will we come back? Oh yes!

Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you very much for your kind review. I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay and would love to return. I will ensure to pass on your lovely comments to all concerned.
Chelmsford, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 19, 2013

Stayed here for our honeymoon in 2011 and really wished we hadn't. The location is too remote and there wasn't a lot going on. Very boring and dark décor. Not the Scotland I wanted to show my husband.
I had booked and paid for the best room in the hotel and I had informed hotel this was our honeymoon asked for an upgrade into 'Next best room in House' and had paid extra for wine, chocolates, crisps and luxury toiletries as a nice surprise for when we got there. All of which was confirmed by email.
On arrival after more than 7 hours travelling from Essex, got shown to the tiniest room with no added extras it was so tiny it was a joke, I'm not the smallest of people but certainly not large but I had trouble in the bathroom to use the toilet and there was no way on earth you could comfortably have a shower with enough space!!! I complained straight away - even the lady who showed us to our rooms agreed the room wasn't up to standard! We were immediately moved to a large, spacious room with a lovely king size bed and beautiful view of the garden/ carpark!
Our wine and crisps and toiletries - not luxury I might add were 'HANDED TO US' not exactly the surprise we hoped for and the crisps were a big bag of Walkers Ready Salted!! Really disappointed this should have been in our room before we got there, that's the idea of asking for it!
The second room was great however and as the weather was rubbish we were glad we didn't have to listen to the wind and rain howling and lashing against our window all night which probably would have happened in the smaller room.
Restaurant was ok, all staff were friendly and welcoming, but the music and décor was depressive quiet - Adele on loop constantly and quite frankly we couldn't wait to get back to our room for a bit of noise - i.e. t.v or normal chatting.
We ventured out a few times into the town centre, nothing too impressive there.
Ate at a few restaurants but as there was road works to and from town and taxis charging the earth we didn't end up going into town much.
A honeymoon is meant to be romantic, idyllic and a happy time but quite frankly I cried and wanted to come home on the third night, which is unlike me totally
Husband liked it but agreed with me, and this was not the Scotland we had hoped for.
I'd never return or recommend unless it was a family member in their sixties or seventies

Room Tip: Don't stay here on a honeymoon, yes we wanted a bit of peace and quite but this was on another l...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Kate B
JasonDoga, General Manager at Huntingtower Hotel, responded to this review, July 22, 2013
Many thanks for your comments, I was disappointed to learn you were not happy with your stay at Huntingtower Hotel, we do strive to provide all our customers with excellent customer service and I see one or two points have let us down on this occasion.

With your stay being 2 years ago I cannot fully investigate the issues raised because of the time lapse, I wish these issues had been brought to my attention at the time and I would have been given the opportunity to rectify these properly as we did with the changing of your room. If you do wish to discuss further please do contact me.