“Great golf, fishing and ski base”
Review of Huntingtower Hotel

Huntingtower Hotel
Ranked #1 of 18 Hotels in Perth
Reviewed December 19, 2011

If you want to sample the best of golf, ski-ing and fishing make the Huntingtower Hotel, Perth your hotel of choice.
With great service, food and accommodation the Huntingtower Hotel makes a great base in a historic part of Scotland.
St Andrew's and Aviemore are an easy drive.
Perth is also home to a lot of whisky.
Cheers !

Room Tip: To the top
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled solo

Reviewed December 5, 2011

I booked this hotel for a night , I had a very unpleasant experience with a receptionist with an eastern European accent . I was initially given a pretty room located at the first floor but when I entered the reception and she noticed that I do not look local ( as I am North African ) she quickly grabbed a pen, changed the room number and I was given the ugliest room available .
It was small, ugly, situated above the kitchen with almost no windows as the noisy kitchen fans block whatever view behind it.
I could not sleep despite the fact I was tired. I had to complain to the same unpleasant receptionist and to my surprised she changed the room number back to the one initially booked. I could not understand why I was re booked in that ugly room and the hotel was almost empty.
. Edinburgh

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Macabram
Reviewed December 5, 2011

Stayed for just one night on business, but wish it was longer. My room was very large and comfortable with probably the best shower I have ever had! The food was excellent and staff were friendly and helpful.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed December 1, 2011

We stayed here for 2 nights - Saturday and Sunday - and were really impressed. We were there to celebrate my friend's wedding - she was married on the Sunday in the conservatory - everything was beautiful - the only hitch being a mix up with a room for the Saturday night meaning a couple had to use two single rooms rather than a double as they had booked. and by all accounts the single rooms were less than up to standard - maybe staff rooms rather than for guest? The hotel was mobbed as there was another wedding on the Saturday so possibly a last resort solution?
We had dinner in the restaurant on the Saturday night - absolutely fabulous - 3 course for £20 and the food was delicious! Service was excellent as well - we were served drinks and canapes while we waited for our table - very nice they were too!
Breakfast was all it should be - hot plates, cooked perfectly and wonderful fresh coffee as well.
The wedding itself went without a hitch and the bar and waiting staff did an excellent job - and all with a smile too. Cannot fault any of them on any part of the day. The night porter was extremely helpful - served us drinks after hours and didn't bat an eyelid when I had to ask him to open the room door at 2am as I had picked up the car key instead of the room key - blame it on the very drinkable wine etc!!
We had added a £20 upgrade to our room - wine, luxury chocolates, luxury crisps, luxury toiletries and bathrobes - our only (small) complaint would be that Walkers ready salted are not luxury crisps! :o)
We would love to go back and stay again - everything was ideal - and we had a wonderful weekend!

Room Tip: Our room was small - but others in the wedding party has bigger rooms even suites - it is worth enqu...
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Kazzamce
Reviewed November 29, 2011

Lovely meal - three courses - fantastic value and the food was out of this world....delicious. Compliments to the chef!!! When we are next in Perth we will definitely book here again.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed November 28, 2011

We've eaten and / or stayed at Huntingtower many times over the past 5 or 6 years, and have always found it to provide a consistently good service at a sensible price. It's only because I'm really picky that it doesn't get a 5-star (blob?) rating.

It's located in lovely quiet grounds just a couple of miles from Perth city centre - very handily placed for routes to Inverness, Aberdeen, Dundee, Edinburgh and Glasgow. The public rooms are a bit anonymous I suppose, except for the wood-panelled dinig room, but all are comfortable, and there are lots of little corners where you can have a private conversation / meeting without having to book a room. It also has conference / function suites which have always been popular with weddings and local businesses (I used to live in Perth).

Bedrooms are generally of a good standard, though sizes naturally vary in a hotel of this age. They're good and clean, with decent shower / bath facilities, and many have good-sized seating areas. The only problem we've had was wi-fi access in one of the more remote rooms, but this was a couple of years ago, and has not been a problem since (you can always get a wi-fi signal near reception in an emergency!).

Food is very good quality, with a small (maybe 7 or 8 mains) but varied choice for dinner. It's freshly cooked and well-presented (though not overly "cheffy"). A good selection of decently-priced wines, several by the glass, helps, and service can generally be as quick or as relaxed as you wish. I should mention that dinner costs a very reasonable £20 or so, which is very good value. Breakfast is similarly good, with a range of cooked and cold dishes.

Staff are cheerful and friendly - many have been there a few years - and I can't recall any significant slip-ups in all the times I've been there.

All in all, this is a hotel which does very well to cater equally for single overnighters and large conferences to a high standard and at reasonable prices. I should really have given it 5 stars (let's call it 4.5 stars, losing 0.5 just for being a bit bigger than my personal ideal).

Room Tip: Always worth asking for a quiet room if you need one, just in case there's a "do" on...
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank Clarsach
Reviewed November 21, 2011

Selected the Huntingtower Hotel as it was stated and shown on (booking.com) that it was A 'pet-friendly' Hotel and pets were FREE, not quite correct and this requires to be corrected on this site and also by the Hotel.My Little Jack Russell goes everywhere with us and that is why we always select 'pet-friendly Hotels'. He sleeps in his own bed and is never any problem.After being alloctaed a lovely bedroom we also dined in the Oakroom and enjoyed a lovely 3 course dinner for £19.95 each and really enjoyed it very much.
The disappointment was when we received a knock on the bedroom door at 10.40pm and 2 members of staff asked if we had a dog in our room as dogs were not permitted in the Hotel but only the Lodges and that we may have to move rooms because of this. Thankfully I had the booking confirmation with me to which it DID NOT STATE anywhere that dogs were not permitted in the Hotel and this was totally misleading and very upsetting and spoiled the earlier enjoyment of our lovely dinner. However the Staff could not really argue this further but did request that our little dog be placed outside in the car before 7am and before guests start to go about. I found this to be totally unbelievable,unnecessary and very insulting to say the least and would say that was certainly not 'pet friendly' in any manner. I am a very considerate and caring individual and am lucky that I have a 'well behaved' dog who is as good as gold and has never caused any problems at home or when staying away.It should clearly state that 'pets are Not Permitted in the Hotel'and I would not like other pet-owners to go through the discomfort that we had to endure.
I can say that the Hotel is lovely, very clean and the food was excellent and represented very good value for money, I would also state that our mattress was past its best and not comfortable and should be replaced.

Room Tip: Ask when booking if you are permitted to bring your Pet(s)
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank HoweOTheMearns
Also consider these accommodations in or near Perth
Sunbank House Hotel
#1 of 2 in Stanley
Royal George Hotel
Royal George Hotel
#7 of 18 in Perth

Been to Huntingtower Hotel? Share your experiences!