“Friendly service and Good food” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of BEST WESTERN Queens Hotel

BEST WESTERN Queens Hotel
Ranked #13 of 18 Hotels in Perth
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Friendly service and Good food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 2, 2012

Just back from two night stay on business and will try to be fair.

The hotel staff are friendly and helpful. The conference facilities are great and organisation and support was first class. The food throughout was very good and special diets catered for without any problem.

Yes the hotel desperately needs upgrading. There are clearly major plumbing problems and bathrooms are from another age. The reception area is dated but welcoming. The bar is a bit drab and Guinness not good. Bedrooms were fine and clean.

The location of the hotel is great for conferences as it is close to bus and railway stations.
The leisure centre is great but some areas around showers could have been cleaner.
Potential is there to upgrade hotel and it would really be a winner.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank maureenchalmers
MikeSheff, Owner at BEST WESTERN Queens Hotel, responded to this review, December 5, 2012
Dear Maureen, thank you for taking the time to write a review of your recent stay, I'm glad to hear your conference was a success. We are currently working our way through a refurbishment plan. I have passed your comments onto the hotel manager who will be looking into your concerns regarding the Leisure Club showers. We do hope to see you again in the future.

Mike Sheffield

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (95)
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 24, 2012

The staff were brilliant, but the facilities let this city centre hotel down. I had a single room that was pokey and dull, the bed was hard and the thin quilt hardly fitted the bed. The shower was very difficult to get set to the right temp. and on the first morning had been turned so hard that I couldn't get it to work. I reported it and they sent a porter up to open it, I thought they might've offered me another room, but no.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Dear NJLR45
I'm sorry to hear you experienced problems with your shower during your stay. You don't say when you stayed, it maybe that reception were not able to offer an alternative if the hotel was fully occupied, we have had some very busy spells over the past few weeks. If you would like to contact me with details of your stay I will make sure the shower issue has been fully investigated.
Kind regards
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 18, 2012 via mobile

Booked standard double room for 2 nights. On arrival it was obvious that it has been a very long time since this hotel has had any investment. The decor was outdated and in very poor condition. We were assigned room 407, the lift was tiny (4 people would be a squeeze) and I noticed numerous air fresheners had been blu-tacked to the lift which didn't bode well. Sure enough, when the lift opened on the 4th floor we were met by a strong pungent odour which seemed to be a combination of damp and food. On reaching our room things didn't get better, it was extremely small, and in a very bad state. The decor was very dated, and the room was not cleaned well. Tile grout was black, paper was coming off walls, toilet seat didn't match WC. Really too many things to mention. I went to reception to complain and they tried there best to find an alternative room. We were then assigned room 415, an "upgrade" to a family room. This room was marginally better but had a lot of the same problems (paint peeling off toilet ceiling, cobwebs hanging from ceiling, creaking floor board, mismatching furniture). In addition there was fairly permanent notice above the bath, advising that they were experiencing plumbing problem, and that we would need to contact reception if we wanted a bath!! The mind boggles! As it was after 11pm we decided to stay that night, but immediately checked out the next morning and went to the Holiday Inn Express instead. In contrast, that was an excellent experience and is reviewed separately. In summary, this hotel really shouldn't be allowed to trade in this condition. Only positives were that the lady at reception was very nice and the bed was clean and comfortable. Otherwise... HORRIFIC! I have photos which I will try to upload later, just to prove that I was there and that my review is not unfair.

Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Brian M
MikeSheff, Owner at BEST WESTERN Queens Hotel, responded to this review, December 12, 2012
Dear Brian M

Thank you for your comments and observations regarding your recent stay at our hotel. Our customers opinions are treated seriously, and Brain M has been contacted directly by the Hotel General Manager regarding this stay.

Kind regards
Mike Sheffield

Travelers are raving about these Perth hotels

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 10, 2012 via mobile

Having stayed in various other perth hotels this is the only one i would return to. Lovely staff clean comfy bed clean bathroom and fab breakfast. Even although we never got a chance to use the leisure facilities we had a look and the too looked 1st class. Looking forward to next trip to perth

• Stayed August 2012
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
MikeSheff, Owner at BEST WESTERN Queens Hotel, responded to this review, November 13, 2012
Dear mobilemcgaw
Thank you for your lovely comments regarding your recent stay. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future and hopefully next time you will get a chance to make use of our leisure facilities.
Scottish Highlands
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2012

I have often used this hotel as a meeting point, as it is so convenient for the train station. I meet up with colleagues from other areas such as Glasgow, Edinburgh, Aberdeen and Dundee. We often don't need a meeting room as it is sometimes just 1 to 1. We sit in the bar or lounge and have a really good cup of coffee and if we need a bit longer we stay for lunch too; nobody seems to mind. The hotel get the beverage/food sales and we are able to meet and discuss projects. I have also attended larger meetings where we have booked meeting rooms in the hotel and have found any beverages/ lunches good quality. However at the end of October I needed to stay overnight in Perth to deliver a course the next day and it was a chance to 'suss out' the rooms etc. I arrived early and my room was ready. I found the bedroom to be warm and comfortable. I even vistied the pool and spa. I think the jacuzzi was one of the hottest I have ever been in. The steam room was also fine. I met up with a colleague and we had a meal in the restaurant which was fine, although the very pleasant waitress was a bit 'scatty' with the service! My biggest gripe if you could call it that is that the walls are pretty thin, but worse than that the floors creak like nothing on earth, particularly noticeable when people were up early so there was absolutely no way you could have a peaceful lie in! However, if you don't need to lie in and want somewhere quaint and cosy with swimmimng pool etc I don't think you can go far wrong with the Queens.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
MikeSheff, Owner at BEST WESTERN Queens Hotel, responded to this review, November 7, 2012
Dear Catlover77

Thank you for taking the time to post your review. It's always a pleasure to hear such feedback from a regular customer. We look forward to seeing you again back at the Queens Hotel in the future.

London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 21, 2012

I have stayed numerous times here the rooms are fine the staff are always lovely but some aspects just disappoint The bar selection is often dismal with foreign bottled beers from Italy USA Mexico etc one day they ran out of Drambuie Some years ago my wife was served sparkling wine at room temperature .The food is not that well cooked my breakfast potato scone and black pudding were both over cooked but see my review for its sister hotel the Lovat just a mile or so away

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank johnfauld
Dear John Fauld

Thank you for your recent review on TripAdvisor regarding your stay at the Best Western Queens Hotel, Perth. I am sorry to hear we have not met your expectations at the Queens, but are delighted to hear that you enjoy our selection of local ales at the Best Western Lovat Hotel.

Coatbridge, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 12, 2012

As a wedding present my best man and wife got us a night in the Queens hotel to go to Perth Racing as part of our honeymoon. We arrived at 11.30 but our rooms understandably weren’t ready so the reception took our bags and we got a few drinks in the nice wee pub bar. On returning our bags, a bottle of wine and congratulations from the staff were waiting on us. This was a fantastic touch and greatly appreciated. We were in room 15 which was top floor looking out over Perth. The room was huge! We had a lounge, dressing table, double bed, mounted tv and ensuite bathroom. It was very clean though a little dated but that wasn’t an issue at all. The breakfast in the morning was lovely with the staff being very helpful and extremely pleasant. Our train wasn’t till 2 hours after our check out but the receptionist was great and kept our bags so we could go for a walk around Perth. The hotel is situated literally 2 mins walk from train station. A fantastic nights stay and we are already looking to return early next year.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
MikeSheff, Owner at BEST WESTERN Queens Hotel, responded to this review, October 16, 2012
Dear nespa1,

Thank you for your recent review on Trip Advisor.

Also thank you for your lovely review about the staff and the bedroom. It is always pleasing to hear that people have enjoyed their stay with us and received the service they expected. We like to go that extra mile to make our guests stays memorable.

I will pass your kind comments onto the staff to ensure they keep up the good work.