“great city centre location”

Mercure Perth Hotel
Ranked #17 of 18 Hotels in Perth
Kirkcaldy, United Kingdom
“great city centre location”
Reviewed December 30, 2013

Stayed as part of twixmas break. Hotel was clean - all areas, great large bed, free wifi etc. Room had all usual stuff - rooms could do with a wee bit of an update - but were clean.

Nice lounge area with old well etc visible through glass etc.

Staff were friendly and helpful.
Don't book bed & breakfast as there is often an offer on breakfast when you get to the hotel making it much cheaper.

The breakfast was buffet style - full range of hot foods - all very good, with fruit, cereals, yoghurts, croissants etc all also available. Worth a shout if you want to be right in the heart of perth.

1 Thank bettyfithey
Mercure P, General Manager at Mercure Perth Hotel, responded to this review, January 27, 2014
Thank you for your recent review of the Mercure Perth hotel.

I am delighted you enjoyed your stay with us and I shall pass all of your lovely comments on to my team.

I am also very pleased to let you know that we have commenced a general decorating and upgrading program around the whole hotel so this should give it the update you feel it needs.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the future.

Karen A. Johnston

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (180)
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 30, 2013

Stayed for 2 nights, staff welcoming, bar cosy & comfortable, great food selection at breakfast time & the evening meal was lovely. Close to shops, cinema & pubs. Had a great weekend I'd recommend this hotel to anyone fancying a break away in Perth.

• Stayed December 2013
3 Thank Zubesscotland
Thank you for your recent review of the Mercure Perth hotel.

I am delighted you enjoyed so many aspects of your stay with us and shall pass all of your lovely comments on to my team.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the future.

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Reviewed December 28, 2013

This character-filled hotel is based in a beautiful historic 15th century watermill - you can still see the water running underground in various areas, including the bar and reception, on the ground floor. The rooms are clean, tidy and a good size, with a very comfortable bed, but they do need some sound-proofing, especially with the Christmas parties that were happening. The hotel does have a strict no-noise policy enforced from 11pm so sleep wasn't compromised. Buffet breakfast was good, not much of a variety, but what was there was tasty. Dinner was a problem though - the restaurant was reserved for Christmas parties every night of our stay so we were unable to eat onsite (including room service) until 9pm at night. However, when we were able to get room service, the food was good. Location was nice and central. What made the hotel very good was the service. On the second day of our stay, I became really sick so my boyfriend approached the reception staff to get advice on where to see a doctor - the staff were very helpful. Would definitely stay again.

Room Tip: As there isn't a lift/elevator try and get a room on the ground or first floor, as it may be awk...
1 Thank Jodie D
Thank you for your recent review of the Mercure Perth hotel.

I am delighted you enjoyed your stay with us and enjoyed the beautiful character of the building so much. We really do have some wonderful, unique features don't we!

Please accept my apologies that it was slightly later than anticipated for you to dine with us, but I am glad you found the meal enjoyable and tasty.

I shall pass all of your lovely comments on to my team and we look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the future.

glasgow
Reviewed December 28, 2013

One night stay to visit friends who live in Perth. Couldn't have found a better location, for shopping, eating and drinking.
Good sized room with huge bed.
Lots of lovely historic features within the hotel and mill laid running right through under floor with viewing panels.
Staff very helpful. No negatives to report.
Booked direct with hotel as cheaper than agents.

2 Thank marydollGlasgow
Mercure P, General Manager at Mercure Perth Hotel, responded to this review, January 8, 2014
Thank you for your recent review of the Mercure Perth hotel.

I was delighted that you enjoyed so many aspects of the services and facilities that we offer in the hotel and that you found the location to be just perfect!

I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

Falkirk, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 23, 2013

A group of us were at the Christmas Party night on Sat 21st Dec which was very enjoyable. Liked the location of the hotel, staff and service was very good as was our meal and party night.
Our only real issue was the cost of the drinks which means that we would not return to a party night there again. £20 for an average bottle of wine was over the top and definitely not value for money. Nearly £11 for one small white wine and a jack daniels and coke. This is why I have marked Value as Poor
Would recommend if you are going on a party night to check what the bar prices will be to see if you are happy paying that amount on the night, before confirming a booking.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
Mercure P, General Manager at Mercure Perth Hotel, responded to this review, January 3, 2014
Thank you for your recent review of the Mercure Perth hotel.

I was delighted that you enjoyed such a great Christmas Party night and meal with us and so I am really disappointed that you found the bar prices to be too expensive and this would stop you from returning!

We did have various special offers running on the night, as well as another offer at booking stage giving you a discount on pre-booked and pre-paid bottles of wine, beer, etc... I am unsure if you were possibly unaware of these?

I really hope you will re-consider as I would be delighted to welcome you back to the hotel again next year.

Stirling, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 22, 2013

The location is lovely & our room was good (albeit the shower/bathroom was grubby, so not a bath to climb in to). Was very disappointed when I enquired about eating in the restaurant on the Sat evening, the bartender mumbled about closing off the restaurant because of what was happening upstairs. Gave up trying to get served at an over priced bar. My advice, do one or other - if you can only cater for parties, don't take small bookings. We were there to celebrate the end of our silver wedding anniversary year, since this was the hotel my husband proposed to me in all these years ago. I think I will treasure the memories from then instead of this trip.

Receptionist was really polite & efficient & breakfast staff were good.

Thank you for your recent review of the Mercure Perth hotel.

I was pleased to see that you enjoyed various aspects of your stay with us, but please accept my apologies if you were unable to secure a table in the restaurant. There were other events on in the hotel but there were still dining times available, albeit just a bit more limited. This was crucial to ensure that all of our guests enjoyed the same great service.

I hope you did manage to enjoy all of your Silver Wedding Anniversary celebrations, and as the hotel played such a special part in that, please do not hesitate to contact me directly should you choose to return in the future.

Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 22, 2013

The room etc was what you would expect at a chain hotel The real problem was the dinner on the first night and our treatment by the restaurant staff.
We were guided to the 'Brasserie' which was actually a corner of the breakfast room, it was really cold ,two diners kept their coats on throughout there meal. When we were shown the menu, it was like cheap café food. The "specials" were Spag Bol, Gammon steak or fish and chips. Clearly it was expected the cheap guests would not eat "fancy" food. I ended up choosing from the Brasserie menu, and was reminded I could only spend up to £22. I chose to nibble on the appetiser of bread with Balsamic and olive oil. I received a huge mound of bread, Generous; but all that bread as an appetiser!
I had cosen Sea Bass on creamed Savoy cabbage with Parmentier potatoes and my husband ,the breaded Haddock.We waited an age and listening to the other guests complaining, one about his meal being microwaved, another was told her sweet was given to a guest in the main restaurant, and two women who kept their coats on as it was so cold! The waitress advised us that 'his fish had broken,would my husband accept it' , he said yes,but the watress returned to state 'the chef had binned it,and it was the last one' so we waited again, and when our meals arrived, my Sea Bass was blistered and dried having been 'kept warm 'and it was served on a bed of raw red cabbage. The waitress disagreed it was inedible, and argued it had not been under a heat lamp or in an oven.I stated I did not want to risk a replacement .When we retreated to the bar, we were hit with prices that would guarantee the hotel make up costs for giving guests a 'free' meal!. When we retired, the disco was in full swing, and as our room was overlooking the car park and entrance we heard every party goer leave too!
The Saturday breakfast was ok, but on Sunday, the buffet was sparce, clearly,the extended times, meant that Chef only put out small amounts at a time, and left them there to dry under the lamps until inedable. I felt awkward having to ask for things to be prepared for me, as if I was greedy wanting more than was there.
We will not return to this hotel, and we have been before when it was a Ramada Jarvis and also when it was simply The Old Mill. Obviously it is the Mercure group who are at fault with service and food quality,therefore I will not book at any Mercure hotel again.I did receive an e mail from the manager stating my complaint would 'be addressed', I am sure it is a reply she has as a saved draft to save her having to re type for every complaint.

Room Tip: ask to be as far away from the function rooms as possible.
1 Thank christine c
Thank you for your recent review of the Mercure Perth hotel.

I would really appreciate the opportunity to address your concerns and it would be better if I could contact you directly to do this or you are more than welcome to contact me?

I value all of the feedback that we receive from our guests and as you can see from my previous responses to other reviews, I like to address each issue individually and would not want you to feel that you would just be offered a standard drafted reply.

I hope to hear from you so that I may share your experience and learning opportunities with my team.

Karen A. Johnston

Travelers are raving about these Perth hotels