“Yes it does need and upgrade but the staff were 1st Class”

Mercure Perth Hotel
Ranked #17 of 18 Hotels in Perth
Reviewed May 31, 2013

I stayed midweek (in Perth for a concert at the City Concert Hall). I read all the reviews and feared the worst in terms of the condition of the hotel. Whilst the promises are tired and could do with a good makeover/upgrade it was perfectly acceptable, warm and comfortable.

However what made the stay was the attitude of the staff. From reception, to bar, to breakfast room to check out, they were all unfailingly helpful and cheery with it - nothing spectacular, and no specific requests made, but that is not the point. Each and envy one did their job, did it well and made me leave with a great impression of the place - consequently I would not hesitate to stay there again.

Don't expect 5 star luxury but you can expect 5 star service in a pleasant and interesting location (the old mill lathe runningnderneathe is a great touch).

Mercury should spend some money on the place, it could be a real gem.

1  Thank Tony T
Mercure P, Public Relations Manager at Mercure Perth Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 1, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to communicate your views on the hotel via the Trip Advisor site.

I will pass on your comments to all team members which I am sure they will be pleased to hear that you have enjoyed your stay with us.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the Mercure Perth in the near future.

There are newer reviews for Mercure Perth Hotel

Reviewed May 21, 2013

Myself and seven friends recently arrived at the hotel for a midweek city break. I booked the hotel 4 months in advance so you can imagine our horror on arrival to be told we were double booked. The male receptionist told us a larger group had booked in for a longer period the previous evening so they were getting priority. We booked into another hotel 2 miles outside the city centre and as there were no available rooms in the city centre due to the horse racing it was a take it or leave it offer. I contacted The Mercury group and no surprise to find out they did not return my email or call. Never again will I use or recommend the Mercury group.

Room Tip: Pick a different hotel.
Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank GreigB28
Mercure P, Public Relations Manager at Mercure Perth Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 22, 2013

I would like to apologise for any inconvenience we have caused you and your party during your time in Perth, unfortunately due a system error this caused us to be double booked on the day you came to stay with us.

We are unaware at the hotel that you have tried to contact us, if you would like to contact the General Manager of the hotel by email on gm.mercureperth@jupiterhotels.co.uk who will be in touch directly with you and discuss this matter in greater detail.

I hope you will give us the opportunity to welcome you back to the Mercure Perth Hotel in the near future and have a hassle free experience.

Reviewed May 15, 2013

I used this venue for my team meeting so my Company paid quite a considerable amount of money on a day delegate rate basis, On arrival the conference manager was very welcoming and attentive which was appreciated as I had quite of lot of meeting material with me. He showed me to the meeting room and I felt like I was walking into a 1970's kitchen as the chairs were old fashioned, of the wooden kitchen variety - ghastly, absolutely ghastly. I can't fault the staff, they were very professional and on hand throughout the day. The meeting room was dated, poorly maintained as the door handle to the room kept falling off! The lunch was edible, but not the standard I would expect from a large hotel group. The staff must be embarrassed too, as this hotel is in desperate need of a makeover. I unfortunately will not be using this hotel again for meetings, however this is no reflection on the staff

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
Mercure P, Public Relations Manager at Mercure Perth Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 16, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your stay at the Mercure Perth Hotel.

We appreciate your feedback, and I have passed your comments over to our Senior Management of the hotel who will look into the issues you have raised.

I hope that you will give us the opportunity to welcome you back to the Mercure Perth Hotel and provide you with a genuine hassle-free experience.

Reviewed May 9, 2013 via mobile

Hotel was converted from a watermill in 1970s and now needs a refit to be competive. Lovely old building, but parts of interior very dark and not in keeping with the building. Dining room furnishings would suit modern budget hotel, but not historic building. After a refit I'd be willing to pay a little more for the room.

Breakfast passable quality - staff very friendly and attentive.

Bedrooms and public areas need refit but clean.

Accor are great hoteliers, but this property falls a little short of the standard I'd expect. Would stay here again if refitted.

• Stayed: May 2013

We appreciate your feedback, and I have passed your comments over to our Maintenance department and Senior Management who will look into the issues you have raised.

Reviewed May 7, 2013

Food surprisingly good. People lovely.
Ground floor room as a single woman?? Not good. Also every step from above was heard!! And every flush. It is ridiculously noisy. Also didn't feel safe with fire exits left open.

Room very very tired. Agree with previous comments that reception etc. were very dark.

Basically this hotel is very tired and dated and needs some money spent on it, the staff deserve more and should not have to make excuses. The location is fine. I've stayed at other Mercure hotels which have been much much better.

Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
Mercure P, Public Relations Manager at Mercure Perth Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 8, 2013

We appreciate your feedback, and I have passed your comments over to our Front Office Team and Senior Management who will look into the issues.

Reviewed May 7, 2013 via mobile

A pleasant room, friendly staff,excellent food in the evening and at the breakfast buffet. A fine place to stay, close to the city centre. The only thing that detracted from my stay was the slightly over efficient waitress at breakfast.

• Stayed: May 2013

I hope you will give us the opportunity to welcome you back to the Mercure Perth Hotel in the near future.

Reviewed May 6, 2013

Whilst on business in Perth I stayed here for 1 night. I got a reasonable rate and after my long journey up to Perth I was looking forward to settling into my room and getting on with some work.

Upon arrival, I liked the look of the hotel exterior, a nice old stone building, and check in was easy, where I received my free wifi code.

I was on the 2nd floor, and the building doesn't have a lift, so be prepared to carry your bags up a few flights of stairs. For those with mobility problems, it is definitely worth mentioning at booking that you need to be on the ground floor.

Once I was in my room I wasn't surprised that it was tired, the curtains needed to be hung properly, but it was clean enough.... however it was really lacking in power points. There were only two power sockets that I found in the room, one had the TV plugged into it and the other had a floor lamp plugged in. I had to unplug the lamp so that I could plug in my laptop, and it was too far from the desk for me to actually use the desk to work on.

As a business person that travel around quite a bit, it is important to me that rooms are functional to work in, and the free wifi was a start but there definitely needs to be more power outlets and close by the desks.

The most disappointing room was the bathroom. The bath had obviously been repaired several times, but not to the highest standard, hopefully the photos will show that. The bath had been re-enamelled a few times from what I could see, and the tiles were thick with mildew around the taps and bath edge. The over-bath shower was OK but leaked quite badly which would probably be the reason for all thew mildew.

I ordered room service and the food was delicious, very good. The bed was comfy and I did have a good nights sleep. Breakfast was also good too with a selection of hot and cold foods to make a good start to your day.

Overall it was a decent stay, staff were lovely and the food delicious and I would think of coming back to stay, but I would hope that the bathrooms would be updated by then.