“Not everyone wants to party”

Mercure Perth Hotel
Ranked #18 of 18 Hotels in Perth
Reviewed December 9, 2012

We had booked into this hotel for two night’s bed and breakfast. On arrival at the hotel I was given our information and a personal note from the hotel advising me of a special offer on dinner as they had noted we had not booked dinner. Having already booked dinner else where on the Friday I decided to book dinner for the Saturday in the restaurant at 7.30.The booking was taken against our room number.
On the Saturday evening we went down stairs looking forward to a chatty dinner and were confronted by lots of people hanging about in the lounge bar. We went to reception and asked where the restaurant was for dinner and were informed that it was on the first floor. I asked the receptionist if it was the same place we had breakfast in the morning and she replied Yes. We then went to the restaurant to discover that it was set and laid out for a party night. We asked the waiter there if there was another restaurant and he said no: they would set a table for us on the end: he told us to return to the lounge where he would come and get us once our table was ready. As we were not dressed for a party we said that we would just eat in the lounge bar. Very disappointed we returned to the lounge to order some food. We were then told that because they were very busy with two party nights on, we would probably have to wait a while. We ordered our food and then we waited and waited and waited. The young man behind the bar kept apologising but assured us that the food was on its way. Our food eventually arrived at 9.20pm remember we had booked the night before for our dinner at 7.30. If the receptionist had informed us that it was a party night then we would probably have eaten else where. The staff were pleasant and apologetic but this did not make up for the time taken and the disappointment we felt.
The room we were in was also disappointing we could hear everything the people upstairs were doing without going into too much detail each time they coughed sneezed or walked across the creaky floor it was like they were in the room beside us.
We won’t rush back to this hotel.

Room Tip: Higher floors would be less noisy I would think!
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank Iris K
Mercure P, General Manager at Mercure Perth Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 11, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to communicate your views on the hotel via the Trip Advisor site.

I will pass on your comments to all team members and I am sure they too will be disappointed to hear that you have not enjoyed your stay with us. Please accept our apologies.

I hope we will be in a position to welcome you back to the Mercure Perth in the near future and if you decide to do so please contact me directly as I would welcome the opportunity to apologise in person.

Reviewed November 26, 2012

I visited the hotel for a seminar. The facilities were good and the staff were very helpful. No problem parking nearby the hotel. The hotel is handy for the High Street and city centre. I would probably stay here if overnighting in Perth.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Kuching1309
Mercure P, General Manager at Mercure Perth Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 27, 2012

I will pass on your comments to all team members and I am sure they too, will be pleased to hear that you have enjoyed your stay with us.

I hope we are in the position to welcome you back to the Mercure Perth in the near future. Once you have decided on a date please contact me directly as I would welcome the opportunity to thank you for your review in person.

Reviewed November 25, 2012

First impressions were very good.....this is a lovely old building right in the heart of the original part of the town.....complete with cobbles. Parking was a bit difficult but there is an 'overspill' car park right next door. The room we first had allocated to us was right by the reception area - and as we have a rather vocal Jack Russell X we asked to be moved down the hall a bit. Reception did this quickly and efficiently. The room and bed etc was comfortable, clean and fresh. The choice on the TV and films etc was great - and the special offer for £3.50 per 24 hours was great value...we stayed in instead of going to the pictures (only a few minutes walk away).. The bar was nice and I loved the glass viewing panes so that the old mill workings are on display....and the staff were generally helpful and pleasant. One young man in particular was a huge asset to this hotel - Bavik seemed to be around in the bar, restaurant and reception and was really helpful, attentive and polite - give this guy a raise! The breakfast buffet was a little disappointing.....the fresh fruit etc was wonderful.....the hot buffet on the first day (Sunday) was OK, on the 2nd day I had the Eggs Benedict which was very poor, with an untoasted muffin, so it had gone really soggy, undercooked bacon and a hollandaise sauce that was very tart...but the poached eggs were lovely - should just have had them on toast. On our last morning we were looking forward to breakfast and although we arrived in the dining room with plenty of time to spare.........most of the dishes on the hot buffet were empty - I ordered poached eggs which came - again, really good - but there were no mushrooms, tomatoes, bacon etc to go with them. I did ask a member of staff.....but by the time the dishes were replenished I had eaten my eggs and was ready to go...... Apart from that, without sounding too negative - the corridor we were in smelt strongly of smoke a lot of the time....maybe we were near the staff smoking area or something? The bathroom needs to be re-grouted and new sealant to get rid of the black mould..and on checking out the reception staff were a tad unfriendly and a bit 'off' - just a wee bit - some warm customer service would have been nice. There was another 'mature' lady who was in the dining room and the bar on the morning we left (13/11) who was also very friendly and helpful........she deserves to be mentioned too. All in all it was a pleasant stay...........we will use this hotel again - especially if we can get a KGB deal or similar which made it VERY good value for money! thank you!

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank ELEMGEE

Reviewed November 20, 2012

My husband and I recently spent a weekend at this hotel. The room was nice and clean. The bar downstairs was nice and relaxing with a bowl of crisps with your drink. We decided to try the restaurant on our first night and we were glad we did the meal was really first class. A member of the staff who was Spanish came round asking how people enjoyed their meal which we thought was a nice gesture. The breakfast was also excellent. Overall nice hotel and friendly helpful staff.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank dumfries003
Mercure P, General Manager at Mercure Perth Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 22, 2012

I will pass on your comments to all team members which I am sure they will be pleased to hear that you have enjoyed your stay with us.

Reviewed November 19, 2012

Stayed at this hotel for the 3rd time and every time has been good. First time was when it was
called The Ramada Jarvis. The hotel was clean and the staff were very helpful. Only problem
were the seats in the restaurant which were badly food stained. After our visited I e-mailed the
manager and received a reply right away stating that he had noted my complaint. All in all
I would recomment his hotel.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business

Reviewed November 17, 2012

Both expectations and plans begin to unravel the moment that you arrive at this "awkward" little hotel tucked away in a grotty little corner of Perth. There is limited customer parking available,- LIMITED TO ONLY 6 CARS, THAT IS! There is a beautiful and characterful restaurant available,- BUT NOT ON THE NIGHT I VISITED! (because it had been rented out to some corporate event, a hasty and conspicuous table-for-two was jammed into the corner of the bar for my use). Never mind, at least I could enjoy a drink in the afore-mentioned bar...YOU THINK SO? The absurdly camp and sarcastic barman was so often absent from his post that I gave up and retired to my room which overlooked the hotel entrance. Reception must have forgot to mention to me that the area below my room was used by smokers as an informal nocturnal rendezvous. So in conclusion, if you happen to be a loud-mouthed, insomniac chain-smoker who doesn't mind playing second-fiddle to a crowd of swearing, drunken, middle-aged losers, - then the Mercure is definitely worth a visit!

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank I G

Reviewed November 8, 2012

Had a most enjoyable overnight stay in this lovely hotel. Staff were very friendly from the second we entered hotel. Room was spacious and suited our needs well. Having read some of previous reviews I'm thinking these people must have stayed in different hotel from me. Decor was absolutely fine and bar and entrance were beautiful.. Didn't dine in restaurant in the evening so can't comment on that but had a fab breakfast in the morning and were taken care of by very attentive staff asking if we wanted any more tea/coffee, toast etc. Had amazing eggs benedict.
We used bar in evening prior to going out and then again on returning from evening out. Had no problems at all getting served on either occasion. Always someone in bar area at all times. My only criticism and its a minor one was the price for a glass of wine. Felt £7.40 was a bit expensive. Would definitely recommend hotel and would visit again. Location is fabulous as its right in the heart of City Centre.
My reason for visit this time was because I had previously booked hotel in September for a day at Perth Races only to be phoned on morning of trip to be told hotel overbooked and we were being transferred to another hotel, unfortunately we had a bad experience at alternative hotel and complained about it in the morning. As I had paid Mercure in advance for my booking it was them who dealt with complaint. They dealt with complaint efficiently and promptly and as a result gave us a complimentary nights stay which as you have just read we enjoyed immensely

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
Mercure P, General Manager at Mercure Perth Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 9, 2012