“Sorry about this.” 3 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersBronze level
Calstock, United Kingdom
“Sorry about this.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 12, 2013

The staff were agreeable which is a big plus anywhere, but sorry, that wasn't enough this time.

Oh, and the location is good for Perth, over the road from the pedestrian centre, and easy enough to get in and out of town.

After that? Well an appallingly shabby exterior, no private car park, and I was beginning to have serious worries before I even saw our rooms.
A little less depressing interior, and not unpleasant staff meant things were looking up.
That didn't last.
I had made a point about accessibility of the rooms, my client's in particular. "You do have a lift don't you?"
"Yes" - Technically correct, but not much good if the rooms are one and a half flights of steep stairs beyond the reach of said lift. To be fair my friend was eventually found another room, and I probably needed the exercise, however unwanted.

Then someone, (not I), made the decision to eat in the first night. The main restaurant was being refurbished, so we were served in the ballroom. Imagine a smallish aircraft hangar, but with less atmosphere, or a village hall on special offer for pensioners night. Should you be tempted by the reasonable prices and end up here, I would suggest the Greyfriars pub over the road for lunch, and the schizophrenically franco-italian place on the corner for dinner.

Would I go back? Well the location and cost were good, but I don't know if they will be enough to tempt me to return.

William.

Room Tip: If you have any mobility problems double check they are aware of this.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Lingwood-Watts
SallyGM, General Manager at Salutation Hotel, responded to this review, June 13, 2013
Many thanks for taking the time to post such a detailed review of your recent stay. I am pleased to read you found the staff to be helpful and the location good. The cost to paint the exterior of the hotel is considerable and at this stage we would rather spend the money in the hotel rather than outside. Being a city centre hotel we sadly do not have the space for a carpark, but at least there is plenty of parking near by. Yes we do indeed have a lift which we installed about 10 years, the lift covers 73 rooms out of 84 rooms, however if one requests a low floor room or a room near a lift we do out best to allocate these requests. The restaurant has just been refurbished and during the refurbishment we used our Moncrieffe Suite as a "restaurant". This was refurbished a few years ago at a cost of £200.000. I am not aware of our designers scripting a "town hall or hanger" look. In fact I am not aware of a town hall or hanger having a dance floor, beautiful chandeliers, a full AV system with mood lighting, induction loop and bar. The hotel caters for a wide range of customers and I wonder what our many regulars would make of the word pensioners.
I am pleased you found the vaue to be good enough and perhaps you will come back and visit us again and have a look at our newly refurbished carvery restaurant.
Kind regards.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (219)
  • Greek first
Renfrew, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 12, 2013

I stayed for 3 nights in June. The bar staff were friendly and remembered us form a previous visit the same can not be said for the restaurant staff. In the Restaurant Rhiana, Kim and Robert were very good. The others were uncooperative and came across very aggressive. We ordered wine and had to wait and wait and wait. On another evening at a formal dinner we were asked white or red and if you said red, you got white and vice versa. The evening meal was very poor, the vegetables were over cooked beyond all recognition and the rolls were hard. The vegetarian pancake option on the first night was tasteless. Overall the food left a lot to be desired and I am not a fussy eater. The rooms were dated but clean. The domestic staff were very friendly and accommodating. My room was very noisy, there seemed to be noise from and air conditioning/fan like unit outside and you could hear every movement in the corridor.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Minnie-Milto
SallyGM, General Manager at Salutation Hotel, responded to this review, June 19, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to send in a few lines about your recent stay, I am sorry to read that we will not be your first choice in Perth. I am pleased you found the bar staff, domestic staff and some of the Restaurant staff friendly. Although I am sorry you found issues with some of the restaurant staff. I have asked my colleagues and not really sure what happened with the wine service. I, myself, was pouring the wine for the Conference Dinner and certainly did not have any issues with wine service. However I will look into the speed of wine service as a matter of urgency. I am so sorry you did not enjoy your dinner or the vegetarian pancakes, this item will be reviewed with our Chefs.
Once again many thanks for your remarks and hope this will not deter you from returning next year for the conference when I would be delighted to speak to you in more detail about Vegetarian meals.
Killearn, Scotland, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 10, 2013

Stayed one night in the Salutation Hotel to visit Perth City. Tired looking building from outside but inside was very pleasant - clean with comfortable surroundings. I asked for a quiet room away from bar/road noise and we were given just that (many thanks). We stayed on a dinner, bed and breakfast deal with a free bottle of wine included with dinner and tea or coffee for a total of £79 for two - excellent value. Dinner was ok, staff served your starter and dessert, helped yourself to main - choice of seabass, lamb or pork with small selection of veg and potatoes. Service was excellent, very attentive, courteous young staff - well done. Beds comfortable, shower good. Breakfast was very good, great selection and again wonderful staff. Would definitely stay again if in Perth which itself is a very clean, friendly and pretty city.

Room Tip: Request was met for quiet room, so ask if you have a special request.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank 25Catherine_S
SallyGM, General Manager at Salutation Hotel, responded to this review, June 21, 2013
Many thanks for dropping a few lines about your recent stay, I am so pleased to hear that you found the hotel to be so pleasant and that you were given a quiet room as requested. I am also gald to read that you were very happy with the staff in particular the restaurant staff and the that you found the beds comfortable and finally you found the breakfast to be very good with a nice range of choices.
Once again many thanks and we do look forward to seeing you back.
Kind regards.
Scotland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 4, 2013

We stayed at the Salutation Hotel for one night, we were going to a concert in Perth.

The receptionist was very helpful and professional, she also went the extra mile, seemingly very interested in our reason for staying there, she told us where the concert was being held and even told us the name of a nice pub nearby.

The room was aceptable, a bit dated but the bed was comfortable and everything worked as it should.

We went into the bar for a meal and the man and woman looking after the diners did a great job, they were very busy, but promised us to have our meal to us in plenty of time, they were true to their word, we were fed , watered and on our way in plenty of time, the meal was very nice

In closing, the Saluation is looking like a bit of a tired old lady , but the starst are the staff, well done to all

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank s1dlaw
I do indeed like your heading and have to thank you for posting such a pleasant review about your recent stay. I am so pleased you foudn the staff to be the stars and in particular the helpfulness of the reception team and their interest in your concert. I am so pleased the staff did a great job in looking after your bar meal expereince and that you left feeling very content. We are constantly trying to refurbish and as I write this we are refurbishing another 5 bedrooms.
Once again many thanks.
Glasgow, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 2, 2013

Group of friends visit Perth same weekend every year - have stayed here before and will definitely be back. Perfect location, great rooms & breakfast, very helpful & friendly staff throughout the hotel. We had 7 rooms between and each one was different in size & décor but everyone was satisfied.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Lorraine M
Many thanks for posting a few lines about your recent stay. I am so pleased to note that you found the location, rooms, breakfast and staff to be perfect. Yes the hotel does indeed have a variety of different shapes, size and decor which adds to the character of the hotel.
Look forward to seeing you again.
Many thanks and kind regards.
Scotland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 23, 2013

Hotel right in the town centre of Perth, staff very good, also food good.
This is an old building which had work on going in one of the function suites.
Arrive and went to room only to find it was like walking uphill once inside I have never seen anything like it in my life, asked for a room change because of this and straight away moved to a family room which was ok.
This was a last minute deal which was cheap but even so I would not return, to me the hotel is in a time warp!

Room Tip: Go else where.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank G3VVW
SallyGM, General Manager at Salutation Hotel, responded to this review, May 25, 2013
Thank you for your recent review, I am so pleased you found the food good and staff good. I am sorry to read that as a result of the character of the building you will not be returning. Yes we are refurbsihing the restaurant and another 10 bedrooms. With over 700 bedrooms in the company we do try to get round them all at some point. The hotel boats a variety of styles of rooms, none that I recall are like "walking uphill" perhaps a slight slant would be more apt.
Once again many thanks for your thoughts.
Ruislip, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 22, 2013 via mobile

Arrived here yesterday. As part of a coach trip thought we would be treated the usual "cattle-style" however couldn't have been so wrong. Hotel in town ctr, but on one-way rd so very quiet. Check in so smooth and lift to rm 219 was handy. View not too good (bldg next door) but not intrusive. Our room was large twin with walk in shower and bath! Marble fittings too, very nice. Furniture is "brown" but that adds to the quaintness of it. Evening meal, 3 course plus coffee/tea, with a choice on all 3 courses. Portion sizes good too. All staff very friendly from reception/bar/waiting staff. Overall a pleasant stay so far. Going to breakfast soon. Hope it keeps to standard seen so far.

• Stayed May 2013
2 Thank lynda122
Many thanks for taking the time to post such a lovely review. I am so pleased that you found the hotel to be suited to all your needs and likes. I am pleaed you found the staff friendly, we do get a lot of positive feedback about our staff team. I am also pleased you liked your room and found the check in went so smoothly.
I do hope you will return in the future. Once again many thanks.