“Great time by all”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Lancashire England
“Great time by all”
Reviewed March 26, 2013

I stayed here 11th -15th March with a small group. The hotel is central to the city for shopping, close by
museums and the theatre and a few yards from the river. The area is flat, making for easier walking, especially for those with poor mobility. The food at the hotel - breakfast and dinner - was a buffet style with excellent choices. Always hot!! One member of our group needs a Gluten free diet and she said she had never had such good choice of food. Some rooms had a few steps to reach them and this proved a slight problem at times especially with luggage. The rooms were very clean and we were allocated several rooms suitable for people with some degree of disability. A room was allocated solely to our group for board games etc which was greatly appreciated. Entertainment on two evenings was very good and we joined in a sing-a-long on our last evening. All the staff were very helpful and cheerful. As the property fronts the road I do not think there was car parking on the premises but there may be nearby. As we were in on a coach, also provided by Strathmore Travel, it did not affect us. The coach was comfortable and the driver excellent. I would happily recommend this hotel and company to all.

Room Tip: Front rooms are a little noisy due to traffic. Some first floor rooms have a few steps to deal with...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (223)
  • Greek first
Stirling
Reviewed March 22, 2013

The hotel is a good one, as with all the other Strathmore hotels, but if you are paying by cash make sure you have a receipt as they seem to have a problem with this. I paid a cash deposit of £20 on booking personally at the hotel and was not given a receipt, which I didn't query as I assumed it would be recorded on the booking, Apparently it wasn't and I received a phone call at home stating it didn't look as if a deposit had been paid. I said it had, but apparently this was still not recorded and, on arrival for my one night £45 stay I again had it pointed out to me that I appeared not to have paid a deposit. A queue was behind me! Needless to say this somewhat took the shine off my visit to the Perth concert I was attending as I was far from happy. By the way, the last photo on the photo list was also the view from MY window!!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank 25traveller25
SallyGM, General Manager at Salutation Hotel, responded to this review, April 1, 2013
Thank you for completing your comment card and subsequent review on Tripadvisor (I have also sent a reply in the post) in which I was most upset to read that there had been some form of issues with the administration of your booking.

I have looked into the booking and note that the original booking was taken on 13 December at 2.45pm by my colleague Lorraine at the front desk. I can not trace why a receipt was not produced for £20 although when my colleague called you she was under the impression from the telephone call that you may have had the receipt and would bring this on arrival.

For this reason a note was left with your booking information so the duty receptionist could further enquire about the £20.00 deposit. I am sorry if you felt there was a further issue and that the key was handed to you with out comment.

I am sorry you feel this has been “the worst experience of hospitality”, if there is one thing that fellow reviewers highlight is the very friendly and efficient staff we have at the hotel. When a complaint or a negative comment card arrives, which is very rare, I would have no hesitation to investigate the matter.

With reference to the view, as we a city centre hotel not all the rooms offer the best of views, but at least from the picture you can see that the back area is very neat and tidy.

We certainly do not wish and have no intention to have our guests leave the hotel with such bad feelings. The letter that I have sent out to you details for further visits.
Once again many thanks for taking the time to highlight the issues of your stay.
Reviewed March 20, 2013

I have stayed in this fantastic hotel many times over the last 12 years and each visit has been as good or better than the last! My most recent visit was for 1 night on Saturday 16th of March for my friends stag night. Arriving at the reception i was warmly welcomed & told that my room wasn't quite ready yet but it wouldn't be more than a half hour wait. The hotel was hosting a large wedding & the reception staff were rushed of there feet but still found time to ask me "how my journey was?" & other welcoming questions which i found lovely! My room (227) wasn't serviced by the lift but was only a 10-15 stair climb from the 1st floor to a wonderful large double room! Large comfy bed, powerful shower, plenty cupboard & wardrobe space & a telephone in the toilet!!! Great!!! The next morning was my favourite part! I LOVE the Sally's breakfast, It has to be te best breakfast i have ever had in all the hotels i have ever stayed in!!! To sum up it was another wonderful stay & I hope to return later in the year!!!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
SallyGM, General Manager at Salutation Hotel, responded to this review, March 27, 2013
Thank you very much for such a detailed yet complimentary review. I am so pleased that yet again you have enjoyed all aspects of your stay. We do try and constantly look at ways of improving the services and are pleased to mention that the Restaurant and Carvery is due to be refurbished at the end of April which will further improve the standards at the hotel.
I am please that you found the room and breakfast to be spot on too.
Once again many thanks for taking the time to say a few words, we really do appreciate the feedback.
We look forward to seeing you soon.
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 16, 2013

Came here at the start of the month, the staff treated us like royalty and nothing was a bother. The outside of the hotel would not make you stop, but once you are at reception the staff are so welcoming. Food was very good. Breakfast would keep you going all day! The house keeping staff have the place gleeming, restaurant staff very attentive without being intrusive. This charming hotel is all you want in scottish hospitality and fits well in the town, everything is with in walking distance and they still have individual / independant shops that are well worth a visit.

Room Tip: My shower was over the bath, if you have problems request a room with a walk in shower, also the que...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
SallyGM, General Manager at Salutation Hotel, responded to this review, March 25, 2013
Thank you so much for dropping a few lines about your recent stay.....I am so pleased to read that you were treated by royalty, the food was good and the breakfast was so good. There are a lot of interesting shops in Perth and as we are right in the centre of the city, yes a perfect location indeed.
Once again many thanks for your kind words and we do look forward to seeing you again.
Inverness, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 15, 2013

As a person who works away by myself a lot, it is often difficult to get single accommodation. In Perth I use the Salutation as you get a very fair price for an ensuite room. The hotel is not luxurious but it provides everything I need for a working visit. The rooms are very clean, the staff are extremely efficient and helpful and the buffet breakfast is very good. The hotel is old, has plenty history and the corridors can be a bit of a maze when finding your room but overall, it is very good value.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to put a few words about your recent stay, I am pleased to read that you found the single room to be good value for money. I am delighted you found the rooms clean, staff efficient and breakfast to be very good - these factors are so important and we do try to keep the standards as high as possible. We are an older hotel but we do try and refurbish as much as poss when and where we can.
Once again many thanks and we do look forward to seeing you soon.
Stirling, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 13, 2013

have stayed at this hotel for at least the last 4yrs ,always ask for same room on 3rd floor which they have given us ,it is large room with full bathroom ,meals are first class ,buffet breakfast ,with partial buffet and waiter service in evening..its an old building with creaky floors but very clean ,cleaned each day with fresh towels. bargain prices with easy-break deals Hotel in centre of town which is great for shopaholics like myself.

Room Tip: can be busy with funtions ,ask reception if this will be a bother for noise ,some rooms have shower...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Eleanor W
Thanks very much for your kind words, I am delighted that you are returning year on year and I am pleased you always get the room you requested...we do our best to look after all our guests requirements. I am pleased to read that you enjoyed all your meals and all the services of the carvery. I am pleased you found the hotel clean too and yes an ideal haven for shopaholics......
Once again many thanks and look forward to seeing you soon.
Scotland
Reviewed March 8, 2013

Good food, comfortable rooms and very friendly staff for whom nothing is too much trouble.The soup and toast/sandwich bar lunch is only £4.95, and was excellent value. Ten of us stayed for two nights and all were impressed and intend to return. We were given a private dining room on the second evening which meant that we were able to sit and chat for as long as we liked. Highly recommended!

Room Tip: There is no double glazing so avoid rooms at the front if you are a light sleeper.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you so much for your kind words, I am so pleased you enjoyed you stay and I note how much you found the hotel to be of good value and that the staff were friendly and helpful. I am glad that you enjoyed your private room for dinner and pleased to read that you will be back soon.
Once again many thanks and we look forward to welcoming you back.