“Short break” 3 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersBronze level
Highland
“Short break”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 27, 2012

Recption staff helpful but followed the rules the rules. Check in 2 pm and not a minute earlier. Meal times stricly abhered to breakfast 7.30 to 9.30 do not be late. TV not working at week end unable to help, lift out of action Sunday morning plenty of stairs. No car park but council car park available free on Sundays.
Floor boards creaked in the room above and in mine as did the passage outside the door.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
SallyGM, Manager at Salutation Hotel, responded to this review, November 1, 2012
Thank you for your feedback after your recent visit to the Salutation.
We value all our guests comments and use these to further improve our service.
Pleased to hear our reception team were helpful on your arrival.Check-in time is 2pm and that enables all rooms to be serviced after a departure to a high standard.
We offer a two hour service for breakfast, with this extended to 10am on a Sunday.Room service continental breakfast can be served from 6am if required.
Sincere apologies for your television not being attended to, this should and normally would have been dealt with immediately.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (219)
  • Greek first
Troon, Scotland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 20, 2012 via mobile

Booked this place at the last minute through Hotels.com as needed a night stop to break a car journey to Inverness....The price was right so was not expecting too much but to be honest was pleasantly suprised. On arrival was greeted by both John and Eva at reception who could not have been more friendly and helpful....I have stayed in many 5 star hotels before where the staff have not been any where near as helpfull as these two.
In its day this hotel must have been a lovely place to stay.....to be honest it is now in need of a bit of TLC but that said our room on the third floor was clean if somewhat dated...but as I said before the price was right.
We chose to eat in the bar and to be honest the food was again for the price first class. Breakfast too was great with a large selection available presented in a buffet format.
The position of the hotel is great, a few minutes stroll takes you along the newly developed river bank or to the centre of the pedestrianised town. The hotel seems to be a favourite with older travellers as in my late fifties I felt quite young!!
Would I stay here again?.....well yes for sure I would at the price I paid. How great it would be though for either the present owners or new developers to throw a shed load of money at it and turn it into the magnificent hotel that many years ago no doubt it was.

Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
SallyGM, General Manager at Salutation Hotel, responded to this review, October 21, 2012
Thank you so much for such a pleasant and complimentary review - John and Eva are indeed extra friendly and always do their best to look after our guests - five star style. I am so pleased to read that you enjoyed your bar meal and the breakfast in the morning. I am also pleased to note that you found the room to be clean. We have about 600 rooms in the Strathmore Group and each year establish a refurbishment schedule which usually includes some bedrooms in each hotel - perhaps next time you call in we can show you some of our newer rooms.

Once again I really do appreciate the feedback and the time you have taken to write this review.
We look forward to seeing you again.
ayrshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 18, 2012

Stayed for one night on b&b, we had a lovely large room (318) and the breakfast was lovely, we will look forward to returning in Feb.Great location for shopping in Perth, we walked at night to find quite a selection of resturants around this area.

Room Tip: 318 was a large room and I could see my car in car park.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Thank you so much for taking the time to say a few complimentary words about your room and the breakfast. Room 318 is a larger room. The hotel is ideally placed for walking round the restaurants.
We look forward to seeing you all in February.
Erskine, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 12, 2012

good hotel with very friendly staff one drawback is the parking you have to use public car park which is just round corner but at £3 for 3 hours its quite expensive hotel is within walking distance of town centre riverside etc you must visit Kirkside bar 5 mins walk away great little scottish pub with very friendly staff

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Many thanks for taking the time to say you found our staff friendly, we do note the car-parking charges and offset this by offering competitive rates to stay in the hotel.
Once again the feedback is most appreciated.
Elgin, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 7, 2012 via mobile

My husband and I have just returned from a two night break at the Salutation Hotel in Perth. we had bed and breakfast and could not complain about the food we had. The room was adequate and very clean and comfortable.

Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Frances295
Many thanks for taking the time to say a few words about the hotel, I am most pleased to read that your room was clean and comfortable and you found no faults with the food.
Dundee
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 1, 2012

My husband and I stayed here over night last week. I was a little worried by some of the negative reviews but I would say these were unfounded! Yes the hotel is older but this is clearly stated, it is not a hotel in which every room is the same for which I am glad. It has a lovely character, our room was nice, clean, spacious and had everything we could need. We were in room 321 which was out the way which suited us, Yes it did have a view over the rooftops but not a problem for us, I imagine the hotel could be a little noisy if there over the weekend though. The dinner was fine and included a bottle of wine, I was much more impressed by the breakfast, had everything you could want and the service was excellent. Yes there were lots of guests who seemed part of a bus tour but I can't see how this would bother anyone! We would definately return at some point, we would like to visit the French restaraunt next door. On the whole a great value stay and a good hotel which I would happily recommend to others and already have.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
SallyGM, General Manager at Salutation Hotel, responded to this review, October 6, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write a very complimentary and constructive review, I do appreciate the time you have taken to speak so high of the hotel and the team. I am so pleased you enjoyed your room and found it to be clean and tidy and the meals to be good especially the breakfast, we do offer a complimentary bottle of wine on some our packages and I am pleased to read you enjoyed this break. I am glad to note that you will come to visit us in the future and I do look forward to welcoming you back. Thank you for recommending us too.
icucme
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 26, 2012 via mobile

Most of the folk in tonight were here for the Perth Races and I doubt whether many would make that, considering the state if them in the bar. But a good natured crowd. Hotel seems geared for Saga crowds with dated rooms to match. But all clean, very functional, exceptionally helpful staff and bargain deal, makes this an ideal stopping off pad.

• Stayed September 2012
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
SallyGM, General Manager at Salutation Hotel, responded to this review, September 28, 2012
Thank you for your recent review, yes the hotel is always very busy and colourful when the Perth Races are on. The atmosphere is excellent with all the days races being chatted about until the early hours. I am pleased you found the hotel clean with helpful staff and the hotel good value for money. We have refurbished many rooms over the last 10 years and do actually cater from everything from weddings to conferences, dinner dances to coaches.
I do hope we will see you back again and many thanks again for such a positive review.