“Lovely night away.”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Dundee
“Lovely night away.”
Reviewed October 1, 2012

My husband and I stayed here over night last week. I was a little worried by some of the negative reviews but I would say these were unfounded! Yes the hotel is older but this is clearly stated, it is not a hotel in which every room is the same for which I am glad. It has a lovely character, our room was nice, clean, spacious and had everything we could need. We were in room 321 which was out the way which suited us, Yes it did have a view over the rooftops but not a problem for us, I imagine the hotel could be a little noisy if there over the weekend though. The dinner was fine and included a bottle of wine, I was much more impressed by the breakfast, had everything you could want and the service was excellent. Yes there were lots of guests who seemed part of a bus tour but I can't see how this would bother anyone! We would definately return at some point, we would like to visit the French restaraunt next door. On the whole a great value stay and a good hotel which I would happily recommend to others and already have.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
SallyGM, General Manager at Salutation Hotel, responded to this review, October 6, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write a very complimentary and constructive review, I do appreciate the time you have taken to speak so high of the hotel and the team. I am so pleased you enjoyed your room and found it to be clean and tidy and the meals to be good especially the breakfast, we do offer a complimentary bottle of wine on some our packages and I am pleased to read you enjoyed this break. I am glad to note that you will come to visit us in the future and I do look forward to welcoming you back. Thank you for recommending us too.
Kind regards

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (226)
  • Greek first
icucme
Reviewed September 26, 2012 via mobile

Most of the folk in tonight were here for the Perth Races and I doubt whether many would make that, considering the state if them in the bar. But a good natured crowd. Hotel seems geared for Saga crowds with dated rooms to match. But all clean, very functional, exceptionally helpful staff and bargain deal, makes this an ideal stopping off pad.

• Stayed September 2012
SallyGM, General Manager at Salutation Hotel, responded to this review, September 28, 2012
Thank you for your recent review, yes the hotel is always very busy and colourful when the Perth Races are on. The atmosphere is excellent with all the days races being chatted about until the early hours. I am pleased you found the hotel clean with helpful staff and the hotel good value for money. We have refurbished many rooms over the last 10 years and do actually cater from everything from weddings to conferences, dinner dances to coaches.
I do hope we will see you back again and many thanks again for such a positive review.
Edinburgh
Reviewed September 25, 2012

My wife and I met at the Salutation Hotel 43 years ago and promised ourselves that one day we would stay at the hotel.We therefore booked our 40th Wedding Anniversary weekend away at the "Sally". We had a lovely spacious room with a four poster bed, fresh flowers, fruit, plus bottles of water and wine. The staff in all departments were exceptionally welcoming and attentive and could not do enough to make your stay enjoyable. The food was very good with a varied self service breakfast. One very minor irritation was the creaky floor in the bedroom - we could hear the guest in the neighbouring room getting up during the night and walking across the room. However, such issues are to be expected in a building which is 300 + years old. I would definitely return!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much for such a lovely and interesting review, it was nice to read how you met your wife at the "Sally" 43 years ago and then decided to come back for your 40th Wedding Anniversary. I am so pleased to read that you were so well looked after and that the room was perfect with all the extras - we do try and add a little something special when we know there is a special occasion. Hope we will see you back before your next big anniversary.
Kind regards and many thanks
Lanarkshire
Reviewed September 24, 2012

My wife and I have just returned from a short stay at this historic building. The staff are terrific and friendly and the environment is clean,friendly and relaxed. The food is exceptional especially the breakfast. On the down side the local of my room 105 was well used by other clients and you could here them walking by like they were coming into the room. The room was never meant to be a double room with the shower squeezed behind the bathroom door was ridiculous to use with the curtain unable to stop the water escaping from the cubicle. The squeecky floor boards although noisy added a bit of charm to the place. I will definitely return on the provision I don't use room 105..Many thanks to the staff. See you later

Room Tip: If you prefer either a bath or shower make sure you tell them prior to booking as my room was tight...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much for such a constructive and positive review. I really appreciate this. I am pleased to note you found the staff to be first class, hotel clean, friendly and relaxed. I am so pleased you found the food especially the breakfast exceptional. Room 105 is a smaller room, perhaps suited to a one nighter, however I will take a look at the shower cubicle curtains.
Once again I do look forward to welcoming you back too and will certainly make sure on your request we arrange a larger room for you.
Inverness, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 24, 2012

Enjoyed a linedance weekend at this hotel recently. Room comfortable but no view. Food was excellent with plenty of choices to suit everybody. Staff friendly and obliging. Found situation excellent for shopping and also near to walks along the river and park.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Thank you very much for your kind words, I am most delighted to read that you enjoyed the food and note that you found plenty choices to suit everyone. I am also pleased you found the staff friendly and obliging - this makes all the diference. The hotel is ideally situated for shopping and for enjoyabel walks along the river.
Looking forward to seeing you at another line dance.
Kent
Reviewed September 24, 2012

I have tried to book here in the past and was delighted to find vacancies at the end of my Scotland road trip. I took them up on the 3 night half board 'wine and dine' option. I was aware of the lack of parking and was using the hotel as a base, so no real problem with the 4 hour parking apart from the walk. The hotel needs a good lick of paint on the frontage, inside is not so bad. Our room was on the small side, barely enough room for our bags. The 'romantic' extra I ordered turned out to be some cheese biscuits, a one-glass bottle of red and white wine, some flowers, and use of 2 very hard dressing gowns (some fabric conditioner wouldn't go amiss). The room was so small, we didn't see the point in trying to put these on!
I particularly wanted to see the Prince Charlie room, that he used during the Jacobite rebellion of 1745-6. This has been turned into a meeting room, and has some pictures on the wall relating to it, but more could have been made of it. Nothing outside the room tells you of it's history or even its existence.
There was a fire alarm caused by someone having a shower with their door open, so we and the several dozen elderly Dutch tourists spent 2 hours outside in the street. This couldn't be helped, but do take notice of the sign instructing you to close your bathroom door, it means it!
The experience was slipping away, and plunged headlong, when we went for the evening meal, a supposed a la carte affair. School dinners! The choice was poor and the food very poor indeed. The package supplied a nasty house wine, which didn't appear on the next nights wine list! Service was by several well-meaning but inept young men. It seemed like the Costa Brava had come to Perth, with the buffet self-serve and really should have been better. Breakfast was better, as you expect self-serve, and there was plenty to choose from.
I really wanted to enjoy my stay, and tried my best to, but for the money paid, I could have stayed in the Travelodge on the outskirts, parked for free and ate well each night in a restaurant of my choice, instead of the poor fayre served here. Stay room only if you must and give the food a miss.
Strathmore Hotels need to up their game. This whole hotel is geared to cater for the Euro coach parties, and not the individual guests. Not a bad thing to encourage visitors to the hotel and area, but it felt as if little effort, training and money was invested in this hotel. Being the oldest in Scotland, it should be treated with a bit more respect.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your detailed review, I do appreciate the time you have taken to highlight your thoughts on the hotel. Yes, the façade of the hotel does need some attention; this involves far more than just a “lick of paint”. We are working with Historic Scotland at the moment in an effort to improve the front of the building. Once we have costings for surveyors, scaffolding, special paints, permits, contractors, advertising permits, listed building approval we should be able to go forward. We have a wide selection of rooms and I am sorry I was not aware of the room being to small for you, as I certainly would have changed your room if I could have.

I am not clear what the issue was with the extras in the room. We offer various extras such a Club Package, Romatic Package – each package includes different extras. There should have had fruit, mineral water, sweets and luxury toiletries too. The cheese biscuits you refer to are actually a packet of Mini Cheddars. I have investigated and do not appear to have had a complaint about the extras during your stay. I will speak to housekeeping re the type of fabric conditioner we use. There is a large (bigger than A1) sign on the lift wall near the Stuart Room with some history of the hotel.

I have checked back on our CCTV as I happened to be on duty the evening the Fire Alarm was activated I note the guests had to wait 45 minutes until they allowed back into the hotel after the false alarm. I am sorry you did not enjoy your wine and food, as this is a personal subject with very little detail I can’t say much more. I have just mentioned to our wine supplier that you found the wine to be “nasty “; as we buy hundreds of bottles a month they were most surprised to learn of this. I have also spoken to the Head Waitress with reference to your comments about the inept young men – we were really not sure what this meant and looking at her training records I feel quite happy that they do their best to look after our customers. Any hotel I have stayed in the Costa Brava has been first class and five star – I am not sure which parts of Costa Brava you refer to ?

Finally we are “geared “ to cater for all types of coach parties not just Euro Coaches, we also cater for weddings, functions, dinner dances and conferences – a very enjoyable and mixed level of business.

Once again many thanks for your review.
Groningen, The Netherlands
Reviewed September 17, 2012

As a dutch tourguide I am a regular visitor of the Salutation Hotel with groups of dutch tourists.
This hotel gives us the most welkom of all the hotels we're staying in on our tours through Scotland. Staff is very friendly and very helpfull. Diner and breakfast is excelent and with a lot of variety and choice. Management and staff are very helpfull to solve special requests and deal with special needs of some of the guests.
For me its a pleasure to bring my clients to a hotel as the Salutation; It makes there holiday special and comes up to expectations.
I'll hope to stay in the Sally for many years with my groups from the Netherlands.
Thanks!!!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Gea B
SallyGM, General Manager at Salutation Hotel, responded to this review, September 18, 2012
Thanks so much for your kind words, I really appreciate the time you have taken to mention so many positive points about the hotel. I am so pleased to read that you found the welcome to be spot on and that all the staff were friendly and helpful. I note you really enjoyed your breakfast and dinners and found the choice to be plentiful. I also note that all your requests were dealt with effeciently. We all look forward to seeing you next year too.
Once again many thanks and all the best.