“Room average, food and service appalling”
Review of The Station Hotel

The Station Hotel
Ranked #18 of 18 Hotels in Perth
Reviewed September 6, 2013

I came here as part of a rail tour to celebrate 75 years of a steam loco, but also my 10th wedding anniversary. The tour was fine. We arrived here and it was ok. The room we were given was a decent size, although furnished basically and some deep cleaning of blinds wouldn't have gone amiss. Part of this package was a 5 course "gala dinner". The menu sounded appetising and, to be frank, I wished I'd eaten the menu. There were 250 guests and clearly ths hotel can't cope with anything like this number. The soup was stone cold. I reported this to a member of the waiting staff who shrugged his shoulders and ignored me. However, I was just about to report it to someone else when a waitress came over and asked me what was wrong with the soup. I told her it was cold. She didn't look convinced, but gave me another bowl, which was equally as cold. I'd had lunch at 1.30pm and this was 8.30pm, so I'd eaten the bread roll on the table and asked for another. No one bought us any more. Luckily there was another on the table, so I ate that. I went to the bar for a packet of crisps and the barman asked me if there was a problem with the food, so I told him my experience. He apologised and insisted I have the crisps. A further hour passed and we were supposed to have a further 4 courses. I was starving hungry, so I left and on the way out the receptionist was informed of the issue. Again she apologised, but seem uninterested. No one was offering a practical solution. So, dressed up for an evening event, I find myself walking to Perth city centre and purchasing a bag of chips in order to have something hot to eat. What an absolute disgrace this was. I'm dreading breakfast as I can't imagine how poor it will be. Clearly this hotel cannot cope with large parties and takes money under false pretences as a gala meal this wasn't. I wouldn't recommend this place to anyone.

Room Tip: I wouldnt bother.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
7  Thank 40goingon80
There are newer reviews for The Station Hotel

Reviewed September 2, 2013

I wish I'd done a little buy more research before I booked a room at this hotel. It was last minute and needed to be dog friendly so I was limited.

Good points - central location, dog friendly and an attractive building.

Bad points - only get a standard double bed on a ' superior' room which looks like a matchbox in a room that size. Breakfast wasn't included and was overpriced. decoration was very tired with strips of paper peeling off. Despite arriving at 5 pm, we still had to wait 15 minutes got our room to be ready. Cheap flat pack furniture and a mattress that had definitely seen better days.

If you need a hotel next door to that station, fair enough, otherwise avoid this overpriced dive.

• Stayed: September 2013
2  Thank Tattysmith
Reviewed August 27, 2013

A traditional hotel, coupled with friendly staff and excellent food. The pricing is as to be expected, however the decor needs updating. Overall, I found the hotel very good for what it offered. It's location can only be described as prime for travellers like myself, being next door to Perth rail station.

Room Tip: It's a long walk to the upper floors, so get a 1st or ground floor room floor if possible.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed August 21, 2013

I almost cancelled my booking after reading some of the reviews but really glad I didnt. Yes the hotel is pretty worn and in need of an upgrade but the room was big, airy and clean with nice comfortable beds. The staff were extremely friendly and polite and we tried both breakfast and evening meal, both were delicious and nothing was a problem for the staff. Good value for money, if you want fancier you need to pay the cash. No complaints and great base for Perth.

Room Tip: Avoid the standard rooms and pay that bit extra for either Executive or Superior
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 18, 2013 via mobile

The location is very good, as by its name it is beside the railway station. It's a older hotel that needs updating. The carpet on the stairs is thread bare, Its a shame as the Hotel has character it just needs TLC. Our bedroom was a bit tired, large room, but the bathroom tiles need a bit of a scrub, there wasn't a full length mirror in the room, a little annoying but the problem was the bed it Needs replaced!!! The springs were digging into us and every time you turned over the bed creaked. Breakfast was great no complaints there. The staff were lovely and very helpful. Not sure if I would stay again tho!!

• Stayed: August 2013
1  Thank Heather S
Reviewed August 15, 2013

Was unsure of this on first impression as some of the décor looked a little dated faded and well worn, but the welcome from staff was fantastic and helpful even though I had made a mistake on my booking they immediately sorted it out for us. Room was a very good size and clean and the bathroom looked recently refurbished. As an old building it is understandable if things are a little creaky etc We didn't try the food as we had an evening meal before we arrived and we felt the price of £10/head rather a lot for breakfast.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 11, 2013

The Station Hotel sounds very grand and the website shows a very glamorous place that is great value for money. Reality is quite different!

The reception staff were miserable and did not appear to be very knowledgable about the hotel.

The rooms and bathrooms are a decent size, but the furniture is really cheap and tatty and the rooms are about as charming as a station waiting room. The horrid damp smell in the corridors does nothing to enamour you further to the hotel, which totally lacks the charm that could have been there.

We didn't eat in the restaurant, as it was rather pricey but again completely stripped of any charm that once was.

If you're looking for Scottish hospitality - stay somewhere else. If all you want is a bed and a shower - this will do.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family