“bistro evening meal” 5 of 5 bubbles

Gavin's Bistro
Ranked #125 of 196 Restaurants in Perth
Cuisines: Bar, British
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Description: Gavin’s Bistro & Bar...Superb bistro dining in Perth. Scottish Food Pub of the Year, Gavin’s Bistro Bar perfectly compliments our Opus One Restaurant, presenting fresh and local options at more affordable prices and in an informal setting. From tasty light bites to three-course meals, Gavin’s Bistro offers fresh and bright surroundings within which to eat, drink and socialise. With two courses from just £9.95, eating out at Gavin’s is within anyone’s price range and an extra ‘specials’ board is also on offer, giving a flavour of the type of tantalising cuisine on offer in our award-winning Opus One Restaurant. Coffee with friends? A wide choice of Brodie’s coffees, Cappuccino, latte, etc, delicious home-made scones or muffins are available. Also pre-dinner nibbles, such as bread and olives, or an ever-changing choice of fresh sandwiches ... either way, Gavin’s Bistro and the adjoining Cafe 22 can satisfy the full spectrum of appetites.
brampton cumbria
“bistro evening meal”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 16, 2012

good atmosphere. Steak cooked to perfection and served by well trained staff who made our meal a very pleasant experience. This is the first review I have ever written but we were so impressed by the bistro and the staff we thought others might enjoy a visit also.

• Visited April 2012
1 Thank Ivan J

Fife
“Go for the 2 courses for £9.95 menu!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 15, 2012

This is a tricky review to write. My husband and I went to Gavins Bistro recently.
My husband chose the homemade burger, which was around £11 (If In remember rightly), I chose the 2 courses for £9.95.
I had rillette of pork followed by smoked haddock risotto. It was beautifully presented, and portion sizes were not huge, but just right. The food was delicious and excellent value for money. Rillette of pork was served with lovely mustard, toast fingers, gherkins and salad. The risotto was topped with a slice of black pudding and a poached egg - yum!

My husbands burger however was quite small, served with a small pot of relish and half a dozen chips in a wee basket - again,presented very well but I think represented poor value for money. Portion size was not great at all.
One other negative was that we were seated at a table next to 3 men who had had a good bellyful of drink and whose language was loud and colourful. This isnt the fault of the bistro, but could have spoiled the experience if we were slightly more sensitive!

I would definitely go back and choose the 2 courses for a tenner menu, but I think I would have great difficulty in persuading my husband to return. I feel a night out with my friends coming on!!

• Visited April 2012
edinburgh
“People of Perth; wake up to these Restaurants!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 29, 2012

Menu similar to Opus One but slightly cheaper. Nice atmosphere , The staff are very friendly. I had rabbit terrine which was on the Opus menu and it was nice but oatcakes needed butter. No bread was served which was a shame as the Mussels could have done with some to soak up the broth. Rib eye steak very good according to hubbie.I had sea bass which was very similar again to Opus One so my fault for ordering it. All very enjoyable and also the chocolate rice pudding yummy. Also coffee with cognac which wasnt on the menu but very good. Overall we liked it .Once again very quiet .People of Perth...why are you not eating in these restaurants??

• Visited March 2012
1 Thank scotconnect
Northumberland
“Good quality restaurant food in a pub setting”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 26, 2012

I stumbled across Gavin's looking for a pint having just arrived in Perth. It looked the ideal place but then noticed the menus and a decent pub suddenly took on the look of very decent restaurant. Could it be both? Apparently yes!

The regular and special menus looked fantastic and despite s couple of setbacks it lived up to expectations. I stayed in Perth on Monday March 26th and having travelled up on the day I wasn't too fussy where I ate. Having had a pint there and spied the menu earlier on I was happy to go back for a meal.

I chose from the regular menu but was very tempted by the specials. There’s also a two course special for under a tenner. I went for the Shetland Mussels to start and they were excellent. The freshness of the mussels was evident in the taste and the lemongrass, garlic and coconut milk sauce was fantastic. The finger bowl and empty spare bowl for the shells were welcome but more in common with a restaurant and looked a little out of place in the pub setting. Some bread to accompany the dish would have been perfect and when I suggested this to the waiter I was advised that if I had asked for some it would gladly have been provided so you really can't ask for much more.

For the main course I had herb crusted Coley with Risotto and a Fennel and Dill salad. Absolutely lovely although I did notice and raised concern about the Dill which was conspicuous by its absence. The answer I got from the waiter was a little confused. Apparently the chef forgot to add it, but interestingly did remember to serve a substitute herb. I was also advised that as the waiter wasn't the one that took my order, it wasn't his fault. Within a few minutes I was suddenly presented with a small plate of Dill and man did it go with the Fennel and the Coley so all was rescued in the nick of time. The Coley was a tad overcooked but overall the dish was gorgeous (once the Dill was added!)

My two course meal was around £18 and worth every penny. The service was excellent despite the faux pas. The food did take a short while to prepare but certainly not a length of time that caused any concern. If I ever get back to Perth, Gavin's will top my list for places to eat.

• Visited March 2012
1 Thank arabchris225
General M, General Manager at Gavin's Bistro, responded to this review, March 27, 2012
Thank you very much for taking the time to post such a positive comments on your recent dinning experience within Gavin s Bistro at the New County Hotel, it is very much appreciated and your comments have been noted.

All feedback is welcome to enable us to continually provid the best quality food and service at all times.
We do hope that next time you are travelling through Perth you will call in and dine with us again or even better to stay with us.
Newcastle, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Opus One's Little Brother in The New County Hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 2, 2012

Stayed at The New County Hotel in January and was amazed at the quality of dining within the walls of the hotel.

We ate one night in Opus One, which was outstanding and tried Gavin's Bistro the next night as there was a retirement party in Opus One.

The food here comes from the same kitchen and flavours are as good with some great specials boards with dishes you just wouldnt find anywhere else... I would recommend if you are staying in Perth, try both restaurants in the hotel before going out the front door.. You wont be disappointed!!

• Visited January 2012
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
General M, General Manager at Gavin's Bistro, responded to this review, February 4, 2012
Thank you for your comments regarding your time in the hotel and in particular to your meals in Gavin's Bistro and Opus One and we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.