“Not long until the first star”

The Roost Restaurant
Ranked #18 of 208 Restaurants in Perth
Good for: Special occasions, Romantic, Local cuisine, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Description: Tim & Anna Dover work together at the restaurant, Anna is in charge of table service and Tim exercises his skills as Head Chef in the kitchen, and in his words..."My wife and I opened the Roost Restaurant in the village of Kintillo near Bridge of Earn, just outside Perth, in the summer of 2008. Five years on the restaurant is firmly established in the area and we are known for our extensive use of Scottish ingredients, which I prepare in the classical French style that I have learnt in kitchens at home and abroad throughout my career.We are proud of the strong relationships we have developed with Scottish food and drink suppliers and always produce a locally sourced, sustainable and seasonal menu.Our dedication doesn't end in the kitchen as we enjoy fishing and foraging for our own ingredients - including wild garlic, alexanders and chanterelles - many of which appear on the menus throughout the year.But nothing is more sustainable than our new kitchen garden that features vegetables and herbs used in the restaurant. Throughout the summer months we are able to use our own supply of herbs, salads and vegetables such as potatoes, chard, baby carrots, beetroots, leeks, broad beans and purple sprouting broccoli while flowers are also grown for the restaurant."
Reviewed July 5, 2013 via mobile

Having tead the other reviews, it's hard to find something different to say. This restaurant is in the Michelin guide and it cannot be long until they're awarded their first star as it is superb.
Six of us ate here on a Friday night. Booking is essential and we paid a deposit of £10/person: if guests don't turn up, they would be badly affected due to the size of the place. We had two wines: one of which a Gargenaga which was sublime. Oh, and the food? Even at £50/head, we'd be back tomorrow. A wonderful, wonderful experience.

1  Thank WiltshirePhilippa

Reviewed June 27, 2013

We finally decided to try The Roost on the spur of the moment after a busy week. We are often in Perth which is a short drive away. We were lucky to book the last table for two as the restaurant is small and popular. It was also the time of year for Graduation Dinners.
The dining room is small but not crowded. It is light and airy and simply furnished and, as said in other reviews the table settings are immaculate; discrete flower arrangement, linen and polished cutlery and glasses. The menu is brief and seasonal and there is a good wine list (not for us who were driving though). We ordered wine by the glass and it was excellent - tap water is offered freely. Service is excellent, there when needed and willing to take time to talk. My impression was that everything was organised to make the diners relaxed. All in all it results in a very comfortable atmosphere.
The menu was very good - so good it was a pleasant dilemma in choosing. We could have chosen every dish. However we had to forgo some pleasures in exchange for others. I started with the hand-picked crab and squat lobster and my wife took the foie gras (and glass of beaume de venise thus handing me the car keys). Then I had the pan-fried brill with langoustines on squid-ink tagliatelli and seafood sauce while she tackled the osso buco with rissotto. The osso buco came with a small spoon to extract the marrow from the bone - typical of the attention to detail in this restaurant. Finally we opted to share a dessert, in this case a verbena cream mille feuille with raspberry sorbet. Every dish we had was skillfully prepared and beautifully presented by someone who was passionate about food. I should also mention the amuse bouche - a small cup of soup, the sourdough bread served and the scottish tablet petir four. Will we return? Certainly, and maybe next time we will take a taxi.

2  Thank Ursus-Maritimus
Reviewed June 23, 2013

I spotted this on Tripadvisor. I had not heard of it and was amazed that a small restaurant in this area was so highly rated but now I know why. I would fully endorse D Short's recent review. A crisp small intimate room, immaculate tableware, good spacing between tables though so you feel relaxed and able to talk freely.

I spotted the Alter Ego Chateau Palmer Margaux on the wine list on line and called ahead to see if it was available. They suggested that they prepared it for me which I had never had done before. An example of the really friendly and helpful service. Throughout the meal it was attentive and never fussy and made it clear that we dictated the pace of the meal.

Every dish we had was superb: full of flavours and textures and perfectly balanced. Turbot fillet with Langoustines in a lobster and crayfish bisque, pear tarte tartin with lavender ice-cream and a fantastic selection of cheeses are stand out memories.

The people of Perthshire are very lucky that Tim and Anna have chosen to open up here to deliver their own brand of culinary excellence.

Reviewed May 25, 2013

Quite simply the best meal I have ever eaten!
Seasonal produce used to stunning effect. Literally could not pick a fault with either the food, service or surroundings.
Casual yet sophisticated dining atmosphere meant it was easy to enjoy a good conversation.
Waiting staff were happy to have as much or as little conversation as you wanted. Very knowledgeable about the menu.
The food was outstanding, I ate most of the meal with a grin on my face due to the quality of the food.
Very reasonably priced when you take into account the quality of the food and service you are getting.
Will definitely be back!

Reviewed May 25, 2013

Found this restaurant on Tripadvisor the night before a planned trip to Perth. It rang a few bells as I remembered seeing it on TV so thought we would give it a try. We were not disappointed it was a real find. It is a small restaurant situated about !5 min drive south of Perth just outside of Bridge of Earn.
We arrived a little early for lunch and were given a warm welcome and shown straight to a nice table in the corner.The menu was lovely and we both found it difficult to choose as we liked the look of everything. In the end we decided to take the set 2 courses for £17.95 as it saved making a choice. We had a delicious butternut squash soup which was full of flavour followed by a lovely pork dish. The presentation of the dishes was elegant and unpretentious. We also had some very nice homemade bread which went down a treat. We didn't have a pudding as we are supposed to be watching our weight!! Coffee however came with a piece of tablet which we simply had to try.
We had a lovely drive around Perthshire from Edinburgh and the Roost made the day perfect .