“Recently stopped in the Harbourside Hotel...”
Review of Harbourside Hotel

Harbourside Hotel
and 1 more site!
Harbourside Hotel
Ranked #5 of 5 Hotels in Irvine
“Recently stopped in the Harbourside Hotel...”
Reviewed August 2, 2010

Recently stopped in the Harbourside Hotel as all of the B & Bs in nearby Ayr were full!! Upon entering the hotel, you have to enter the reception on the left. The hotel had my booking and I was showed to my room, Room 8! The room had a double bed and a single. The pillows were very thin and needed to be piled up to make one good pillow. The room had a definate odour of mould or something similar. A small hand towel and a small bath towel of the cheapest quality were laid out on each bed, alongside a very cheap bar of soap!! Upon entering the bathroom, the uneven, very poorly fitted fake floor made it hard to keep balance. The sink had a large crack inside and could not be filled. Silver foil surrounded the shower head, the purpose was unknown. The hotel is not all bad, the large flat screen in the wall provided digital TV channels, there is a fridge in the room, but it very noisy, and there is a microwave. The hotel itself was fairly noisy due to thin Walls and little space. On the morning I checked out I declined the breakfast due to the standard if the room.

1 Thank Okboss

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Inverness, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 20, 2009

On a recent family trip to Irvine, money was a big issue so finding a decent hotel at the minimum cost was a priority. We booked a family room at this hotel and to be honest didn't expect much more at 2 star than a place to sleep.

We got much more than expected, the room was large and very clean, the bed linen was freshly laundered and the room boasted a microwave with two hob rings, a full size kitchen sink, kettle, crockery cutlery, glasses, mugs, hairdryer, iron and the cleanest glass on a hotel shower I've seen for a long time.

We arrived late at night and had been given a code to enter the hotel as the desk isn't manned at night, this proved no problem and we walked through the hotel to an exit door at the back, when we went out it was into a tiny courtyard with two external rooms, our room was here and this was perfect for me as I'm a smoker and it meant I didn't have to go all the way through the hotel and to the front door, I just left my room and sat at the wee table in the courtyard had a glass of wine and went to bed.

Breakfast was served in the first floor dining room, where we were met by an extremely friendly young lady who asked us what we would like and then cooked it fresh there and then, while we were waiting there was a table laid out with juices and cereals and a toaster; there was butter and jams and meat and cheeses if you preferred a continental breakfast.

The hotel mainly caters for golfing holidays and they have mini buses that ferry people backwards and forwards to golf courses and Prestwick airport.

The hotel is situated on Irvine Harbourside which is a picturesque walk with local eateries and pubs. A short walk away is Irvine's shopping centre and the Magnum which is a huge leisure centre with swimming pool, ice skating and a cinema.

I would recommend this hotel to anyone who just wants a nice clean room and bed with friendly service and close to all local amenities.

A bargain and I would certainly return.

• Stayed September 2009
Highlands, Scotland
Reviewed September 12, 2009

We had a two night stay at the Harbourside Hotel and were a tad cautious after reading some of the reviews on here.
We arrived at the Hotel just before 9pm and let ourselves in with a security code that the manager had given us on booking. We had a nice welcome note on the door and also the contact numbers for the manager should we experience any problems.
We were booked into a family room which had a double bed and two singles, a double fitted wardrobe, sink area, fridge, microwave/stove and a table and four chairs. The room and shower room were very clean and well presented. We were pleasantly surprised at our findings and further so when we discovered an ironing board, iron and a hairdryer also in the room. This is a 2* hotel and I believe you normally get what you pay for - we think we got more for our money at the Harbourside! If you want 5* then you have to book 5* and pay the price.
We met the Hotel staff in the morning and found them to be very friendly and helpful. We enjoyed a lovely cooked breakfast with toast, tea & coffee in the small but adequate dining room.
We found it convenient to have a security code to access the hotel and at no time during our stay did we feel the need to contact the manager as we had everything and more that we needed for our stay.
The hotel is located a short walk from Irvine's sandy beach and large leisure centre. A shopping mall is also located within easy walking distance.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank Norma38
London,England
Reviewed July 4, 2008

I stayed at the Harbourside on 28th June for 2 nights.

I was travelling / staying on my own, so I had pre-booked the transfer from Prestwick Airport to the Hotel.

I found this service to be perfect for my needs as I hadn't booked car hire. Sure enought the driver was waiting for me on my arrival. After appx 10 minutes we were at the hotel.

As I didn't arrive until nearly midnight, there was no one at the reception. The driver explained about the security code to get into the hotel and he even showed me to my room and where the breakfast room was.

There was a description book in my room advising what time breakfast was, and because they don't cater for dinner, there was a selection of bars and restaurants mentioned inside all within walking distance.

The hotel dexcription did advise that there were hairdryers and irons in the rooms, but you need to pay a £5 deposit to have access to these.

My room was a good size, I had 1 double bed and 1 single bed, both with very comfy pillows and duvets ... and very clean (I read some of the reviews before I left, so made sure I checked the sheets before I climbed in !!!)

I had a good sized wardrobe and dressing table to store my belongings in.

There was a small TV, fridge and microwave in my room. There was also a kettle. Tea, coffee and milk had been provided.

The bathroom was a very good size and spotless. The shower wasn't too bad ... once I figured out how to work it !!!

I was looking forward to the breakfast, which was served between 07.30am - 09.00am.

There was plenty of choice and I found the waiting staff to be very friendly and helpful.

All in all, I would thoroughly recommend this hotel to anyone who is visiting the Irvine area.

• Stayed June 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank evesamcam
Sint-Michielsgestel, The Netherlands
Reviewed June 28, 2008

I would not spend my holidays at the place: "second hand" interior, most of the time no staff available (reception closed).
But on the other hand: cheap (compared with our stays in the Highlands), our room was clean, beds ok (slept like a rose) and very conveniently located only 1 minute from railway station leading you in 15 minutes to Prestwick airport.
And the best part: location at this "remote harbour street" turned out perfectly for our last day in Scotland. Very good dinner for little money at the Ship Inn (end of the road) and local music next door at the folk night at the Marina Inn.
We will definitely visit again for 1 night when flying in/out late/early.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — sphere
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
bonny scotland
Reviewed June 10, 2008

We had the missfortune of staying in this so called hotel for one
night, and i must say its the worst place i have ever stayed.
The room we were given was filthy and so smelly it actually
made me feel sick.
Please do yourself a favour.............dont stay.

Stayed April 2008

Travelers are raving about these Irvine hotels

Glasgow
Reviewed April 28, 2008

We stayed on Saturday the 12th April ’08, there were about 20 of us, all family in Irvine for a wedding.

We arrived to find no-one at reception. Our names were clearly printed with room numbers on the front door (thankfully not the main door). Luckily one of my brothers had arrived before us, so he could let us in. He had got the door entry code from the mobile number left on our rooming list! Hmmm a hotel with no reception staff! No matter how low a grade a hotel is, surely reception should be manned for guests checking in!

Not sure as to why they call themselves a hotel!

As there were a few of us staying we got to sample each others rooms, one was as shabby as the next. The beds weren't the most comfy, the rooms were cold, most were small and some of them had a stale smell of bad feet and smoke.

I was next to the DINNING room, which is what hotel sign says instead of Dining! Surely an obvious mistake and new sign needed!!! I was woken at 7am after a very uncomfortable cold sleep by the so-called waiting staff. They had a lovely chat about the X-Factor, how old everyone was, what they did the night before etc, while LOUDLY set ting up for breakfast……crockery and cutlery clinking noisily in the background and shouting to/from the kitchen!

Most of the family met for breakfast. Thankfully not all as the DINNING room could only seat 16. The ever so helpful staff asked if we would like "eggs, sausage, bacon and beans", some of us are veggie, so my brother asked if there was a veggie option, only to be rudely told "NAW just what's on the table" (ie cheese) "Or Eggs and Beans", I asked if I could have scrambled eggs and was told very impolitely "Naw we're too busy". The whole experience was an eye opener. I could not believe how rude the 2 females were, who were serving breakfast. One of the so called waitresses took the bread tray away, so I asked “are you taking that away” and was dryly told “Naw I'm going to fill it up” and was given a very dirty look, how dare I question this professional!!!!

I can't believe they call themselves a hotel and charge as much as £20 per person B&B….. for what, a cold smelly noisy uncomfortable sleep and a bit of toast, absolutely ridiculous.

When we checked out I was too mad to say anything. My brother checked out after me and told the gentleman on reception how rude the females were to me (and the rest of us) at breakfast, only to be told back that I was rude to them!! Says it all really.

On a last note – the rooms are obviously not thoroughly cleaned! As soon as my Aunt got into her room, she went to make a cuppa, but there was a dead beetle in her kettle!!!

• Liked — Absolutely nothing
  • Disliked — Absolutely everything
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
Also consider these accommodations in or near Irvine
Hallmark Hotel Irvine
Seamill Hydro
Seamill Hydro
#1 of 2 in West Kilbride
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,447 reviews

Been to Harbourside Hotel? Share your experiences!