“Lovely Food... Shame about the service”

Gailes Restaurant and Hotel
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Irvine
Cheltenham, United Kingdom
“Lovely Food... Shame about the service”
Reviewed March 23, 2013

Menu choice was excellent... and food was delicious. Staff were pleasant but the service lacked a little sparkle. One staff member in particular could have paid more attention to our order and our questions re the menu. Also we had hoped to add the points to our loyalty card - the meal was over £90 - but we never got the option and our receipt wasn't returned to us so we cannot query at a later date. Slightly disappointing end to a lovely meal.

• Stayed March 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (83)
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 22, 2013

Myself, my partner and my mum visited this Hotel for the first time. It was a lovely experience throughout. The rooms are very clean and spacious. The staff are all very pleasant and the food it lovely. We ate in the restaurant for dinner, the food was lovely and the prices v.reasonable. There was a very good variety at breakfast, there was so much to choose from and again the food was delicious. We thoroughly enjoyed our one night stay and hope to go back again soon.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Anstruther, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 21, 2013

Could not fault this place at all. Very clean and well furnished, friendly and helpful staff, delicious food served in a very nice restaurant area. Brilliant.

Room was very spacious with a very comfy bed, massive TV, fresh fruit, water etc in the room waiting for us and plenty of toiletries as well.

Spa and gym facilities just a 20 second walk from the reception as well.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Leeds
Reviewed March 18, 2013

I've now stayed here a few times and have never had an issue with it - it's a nice hotel, good food and reasonable price. The location is a little random as it's close to a waste facility but you really don't notice this that much.

My pet hate is two single beds pushed togethe to make a king size. I would much rather have a proper bed as no need to have it this big. Also paying £7 for room service is well over priced - I have never paid this in London let along in the middle of no-where in Scotland!

Over all I think this would be a really nice place to go for a weekend away, it's close to the beaches and plenty of places to go and visit - not quite the same staying for work.

Room Tip: I always seem to get the front of the hotel looking out at the car park but I've been told the f...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
SCOTLAND
Reviewed March 17, 2013

Came here for a lunch and were well looked after. We hadn't booked and although there were funeral parties in other rooms the waitress was attentive and checked often that we were happy with our food and had drinks etc. The food itself was well prepared and presented and what we chose was just that little bit different from usual bar food which was very welcome.The starters were big portions - the bread olive oil and balsamic vinegar was huge. The balsamic was lovely and sticky - the oil was nice but I have tasted stronger more peppery ones. Our mains were delicious and we will certainly return but in the meantime intend to visit the other restaurants in this group. The toilets are clean and fresh and the fire was lovely.The downside is that the entrance is not very imposing and even although it's winter the garden area at the entrance is very untidy. Maybe though it doesn't belong to the hotel but to the business next door? The lady who served our table was one of the very few I have encountered in a long time who actually thanked us for the tip we left. Your courtesy was appreciated.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Lanark, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 15, 2013

My husband and I have just spent a very lovely evening in the GAILES HOTEL this was a groupon gift we received for Xmas our room was beautiful ,clean and modern . Our stay included a 2 course meal which was first class the staff were really pleasant and helpful, breakfast was superb there was a good selection to chose from . Unfortunately we didn't use the facilities available to us ie.. Spa and sauna and gym so can't comment on them. The only gripe we had was the bar prices which we felt were a bit pricey gin and tonic and a lager £8.50 but I suppose it's the same in most hotels really enjoyed our stay and would return :)

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Irvine
Reviewed March 12, 2013

My daughter and I attended here for lunch on Monday 11 March 13. I dont think either of us wiill be back. I have usedt his reastaurant on a number of occasions, and know that you usually are greeted and then seated. Yesterday we went to the bar and told them we had a table booked, we were than met with a waitress who tried to check a computer for our reservation. This computer was clearly displaying a message that it was not in use?? she then walked to the end of the bar had a discussion with a male member of staff, then back and asked us to follow her. On arriving at our table I pulled out the seat, which was filthy and covered in crumbs obvisously from the previous diner, the waitress made no attempt to offer to clean this and I cleaned it myself. We then ordered drinks, and waited over 20 mins for them, they were sitting on the bar, and eventually a male member of staff noticed they had been sitting and brought then to our table. The area in which we were seated was very quiet when we arrived at our seats, and three other couples came in and sat, I noticed that all had drinks reasonably quick. We then had to try and catch a waitress who was serving drinks at another table and asked her if it would be possible to order food, she then went and got a waitress. After ordering our food, and it arriving I then went to use my cutlery and noticed that my knife was filthy and had remnants of food on it, we then spent five mins looking for the waitress, but she was no where in sight, my daughter then gave me her knife, and we both agreed it would be a long time before we were back. Even when we tried to pay the bill, the waitress was not interested, so we just left it on the bar and left. Totally disappointing lunch at the Gailes.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Irvine
Hallmark Hotel Irvine
#2 of 2 in West Kilbride
Seamill Hydro
Seamill Hydro
#1 of 2 in West Kilbride

Been to Gailes Restaurant and Hotel? Share your experiences!