“Value for Money!”

Hallmark Hotel Irvine
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Irvine
Reviewed October 30, 2013

Staff were friendly on arrival, and the check in was carried out quickly, we booked a de-lux room which we thought was great value for money! However the room we were allocated must have been the furthest point away from the entrance of the Hotel on the first floor, I'm not the most mobile and there is no lift so it was a bit of a struggle. The room was clean but could certainly do with a freshen up, bed was comfy. One thing I would say it was our room was quiet, and hardly heard a sound. Wifi in the rooms is very slow so if you like to use the internet service best take a dongle.There is a nice spacious bar with ample seating area, we never ate in the Hotel as we were heading out to meet friends. Hotel seemed very busy so they must be doing something right? We enjoyed a relaxing drink at the bar the prices are reasonable and there is a good selection of wines spirits and beers, enjoyed a good nights sleep, overall we enjoyed our stay. If you are less mobile book a room on the ground floor.

Room Tip: Hotel is well away from busy roads so most of the rooms would be quiet I would think.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed October 27, 2013

I have just returned from a seminar which was held in the Menzies Irvine, I cannot praise their events organiser Allison Spiers enough, she was a treat to deal with when we were trying to organise the event. Nothing was too much trouble and she went out of her way to accommodate our requirements, as did the entire staff during our stay. Special thanks to Mark and Gary who looked after us exceptionally well. Any queries or requests were attended too immediately with a smile.

The food during our stay was excellent with the only problem at dinner being which of the varied selection of dishes to choose!

I speak for all the Trustees when I thank the Menzies, Irvine for all their hard work and look forward to many more events.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed October 21, 2013

We stayed here over the weekend as I got a really good deal and the kids stayed for free, which was not the case when I tried to book on Menzies website direct. We arrived and were checked in quickly and the lady at the desk asked if we would like to book a time for dinner, which was included on our first night. I booked this then headed for the room, which was a large family room with two decent sized double beds and a single bed. I had stayed here a few years ago when it was run by Thistle and the rooms looked much the same. I do think the iron was older than me, but a really good sized room with a 32 inch flat screen tv. When we went down for dinner we were seated straight away and drinks order taken. There was a glass of wine included in our deal, but the rose wine was not the greatest. There was the set menu we were entitled to three courses from or for a supplement you could choose from the a la carte menu. £3 for starters, £5 for mains, £6 for lamb or about £8 for steak. I stuck to the set menu and my venison main was excellent. Three large slices of venison were very tender. For starter I had mushrooms and these were nice and I was told the corned beef and ham hough salad was superb. To finish my meal, I simply had cheese and biscuits, which were served with a tasty chutney. I only left the digestive, which I don't believe goes as well as the other crackers. After dinner we returned to our room, which was quite hot throughout our visit. There was a fan in the room, which had to be plugged in at times. In the morning at breakfast there was a great selection in the buffet and dishes were continually being replenished when they became empty. I noticed on a few of the dishes on the hot plate they would sit the items on toast. I believe this was to prevent the items from burning too quickly so maybe they should turn the hot plate down if possible. Decent choice of cereals and juice as well as porridge just as you go in the door. They also had haggis in the hot selection, which was superb. We also had a few drinks in the bar and the girl, who seemed to be running the bar, Kellie, was very friendly and ensured we were well watered. The bar was also not too expensive. Breakfast on the Sunday was much of the same with a great selection. I opted for a cheese and ham omelette and this was superb and I would definitely recommend. The mushrooms at the buffet were slightly dried up on this occasion because they had decided to sit them on a dry plate rather than a bowl like the day before in the juices. I also noticed a few sausages stuck to the dish, which emphasised perhaps the need to turn the hot plate down. We checked out soon after breakfast and paid what was due. Overall this was a decent stay and I would recommend it to anyone just don't be over critical. There are signs of the hotel showing its age, but if you get a decent deal go for it.

Room Tip: On sight pitch and putt is free and good for an hour or so
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed October 20, 2013 via mobile

We have just stayed at the Menzies for the weekend, good deal with dinner on one night.
My husband upgraded our stay to a deluxe room, my opinion is it's not worth it. You get some extra space and 2 double beds, ( both were very worn and in need of replacing) and a single bed. Stick with the standard rooms and spend the extra money on something else!
Food - was was good - breakfast plenty choice, the usual cooked items. Various cereals, fruit juice, toast and mini pastries. Main meals were tasty.
Staff were all friendly and courteous.
There was a function on one of the nights we stayed and unfortunately this did spoil our stay, there were children running about the reception/ bar area, we were extremely disappointed that no-one from the hotel put a stop to this. If we were to consider staying at the Menzies again we would definitely check to see if there is a function on first. We have stayed here before and it was a lovely stay. Would I recommend this hotel .... Yes but with the standard room and check to see if there is a function on first !

• Stayed: October 2013
Reviewed October 19, 2013

My husband and I stayed here for 3 nights from 11th until 14th Oct.It was our second stay at this hotel and once again we had no serious complaints.If you are looking for a moan bare in mind what you pay.
The staff are all very pleasant , a special mention to Kirsty on reception for changing rooms for us (due to my husbands cold).The room was very spacious and comfortable.Lots of lovely clean towels,comfy beds decent
size tv etc.
The dining room and bar area has a nice atmosphere ,nice to sit and people watch. The drinks in the bar are a bit on the high side but it's what you expect in a 4star hotel.Plenty of choice for breakfast , although the food could have been warmer.We had dinner one night(it was included in our deal )the food was very good although service was a bit slow.
We look forward to our next good deal at this hotel.

Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Linda F
Reviewed October 18, 2013

We had booked elsewhere in Irvine but turned up and wanted to drive away immediately, lucky for us the internet had dropped out in the car during the booking. I asked someone for a recommendation and they said the Menzies. I was expecting it to cost the earth, but i was pleasantly surprised when we were offered a room at just a little more than the dump we were parked in front of. We had a beautiful room with two very comfy queen beds, a sofa, dining table and heaps of room, all beautifully appointed. Our room had no natural light and we were told that before accepting the booking, it looked out onto a disused indoor pool area. We didn't mind as we were not going to be in the room during daylight anyway.

Room Tip: Save quite a few dollars and book the book the rooms that have no natural light, if you dont plan on...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed October 18, 2013

I have stayed here a few times now whilst working in the area and it is a good place to stay. The rooms are very hot though. The food is very nice and some good dinner inclusive offers are sometimes available. Plenty of free parking and free wifi.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Irvine
Kidron House Hotel
Seamill Hydro
Seamill Hydro
#1 of 2 in West Kilbride
Western House Hotel

Been to Hallmark Hotel Irvine? Share your experiences!