“Fantastic hotel” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Irvine
Tarporley, United Kingdom
“Fantastic hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2013

I stayed at this hotel last night on business and was very impressed. I stay away with work a lot across the uk and never take the time to write a review, but I wanted to today after such a great experience. All the staff were very helpful and friendly, the food was fantastic, the room was great, bed very comfortable and room clean. I will definitely stay again when I am up with work again later in the year. Also the cost was very reasonable, cheaper than the holiday inn express's I normally stay in and a much higher standard. Free wifi anywhere in the hotel was also a big bonus.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Sarah P

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (190)
  • Polish first
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 6, 2013 via mobile

The staff at menzies hotel are fantastic will go out there way to help you with anything you need had a great over night stay with good bar meal and breakfast. Only booked as a last minute deal but will certainly be back.

• Stayed June 2013
pinehurst
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 5, 2013

i booked two nights and dinner at Menzies for a Friday and Saturday through late rooms. When I arrived, I found out somehow I had foolishly booked for the following weekend. The lady on the desk said that they could accommodate me but that I would have to contact late rooms on my own since it was pre paid. She gave me the wifi access so I could get on my computer and hopefully make the correction. The manager then came over and told me not to worry he would contact late rooms and that I could now check in for my reservation under the same terms. That was so nice of them. The room was also very nice and the staff at dinner was excellent. There is no lift for the second level but not that big a deal. I will stay here again.

Room Tip: Try to book 100 numbers if stairs are a problem
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 3, 2013

Positives:
Very friendly and polite staff
Excellent food and service
Room nice and large
Good location

Negatives:
No lift to 1st floor
Incredibly noisy for both nights of our stay with drunk guests shouting to each other up and down the corridor.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank milne75
saltcoats
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 3, 2013

we had our wedding here as it was a second marraige for both of us we wanted low key and small alison and paul the coordinators couldnt have done more all the staff were great and made our day all we could have wished for we had checked out a few places that seemed ok but the menzied made it special from the first time we spoke to them we had a lot of guests stay over and every one of them raved about the whole experience i would recommend this hotel whether you want a small wedding or large you can guarantee the service will be the best

gina and jim

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank gina_talks
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 2, 2013

The fact that this hotel has a 4 star rating makes a mockery of the star rating system. If it had 3 stars I would have been more generous with my review; but here goes:

There is no step free access from the car park - so if you have cases, make sure that you drop them off before you park.
The lobby is huge and blends into the bar. It is very dark and dim, the carpet was in need of a vacuum.
The reception staff were polite and helpful and I was checked in quite quickly.
There is no elevator to the 1st floor, so again if you have heavy bags you will have to carry these up the stairs. Despite having 4 stars, I was offered no assistance with my luggage when I checked in (I had 2 large cases).
The decor of the hotel in general is like a bomb has gone off in a swirly carpet factory, I have never seen so many different designs of revolting carpet and wallpaper in one place - there seems to be no theme or consistency.
The room was a reasonable size. The 'king bed' was actually 2 single beds pushed together, so there is a bump down the middle.
The bathroom was poor, the shower needed replacing - the shower head was knackered and the selection of amenities was basic (just shampoo and a bar of soap) which was disappointing as one of the promotional leaflets in the room says 'we have listened and made improvements - including the toiletries we provide'.
There was a hole in the wall of my room where a light fitting had been removed and now there is just a circle of plasterboard there instead.
The air conditioning in the rooms doesn't work for heating or cooling - it has been disabled so it just acts as a fan.
The worst part through was the restaurant. I was charged £12.95 for a 'red onion, brie and leek' tart with salad. It was tiny, tasted awful and didn't even contain red onion (see photo attached).
The waiter who brought my order over just stood there with the plates, as if he couldn't move. Eventually I took the plate off him and he was left with the side dishes, when I motioned to put them down he said 'are they yours too?'. That was the only interaction from the wait staff.
When I asked for my bill, I was given someone else's bill first!

I had to ask for a replacement Iron for my room as the one that was provided was covered in melted plastic.

There was nothing MAJOR that made me hate the stay at the hotel, it was just all the little things -when you are away from home so often and are staying at hotels, it is frustrating when they can't even get the basics right.

Would I stay here again - no, never

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
3 Thank 19Cam
Burntisland, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 1, 2013

I stayed here on 28th June on business, and agree with one of the previous reviews. Dinner was lovely but there was a bit of a wait. Breakfast was supposed to have offered various eggs however when I went down at 7.10am for breakfast, the porridge had still not been put out and when I asked about having scrambled eggs the reply I got was "he's not ready, it will be another 10 minutes", so had I asked for the eggs benedict I hate to think what the wait would have been. Porridge eventually appeared at 7.25 and the scrambled eggs at 7.30am, too late by then as I was leaving. Surely when it says breakfast from 7am it means that all items should be available by that time. They was a private group in one of the functions suites also having breakfast so dont think the kitchen can cope.

Room Tip: No lifts, and long walks to get to rooms so if unfit its not ideal. Would need to ask for ground flo...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank Couple206
Also consider these accommodations in or near Irvine
Gailes Restaurant and Hotel
Harbourside Hotel
Harbourside Hotel
#5 of 5 in Irvine
Western House Hotel

Been to Hallmark Hotel Irvine? Share your experiences!