“Beware the Noisy Night Life”
Review of Braidmead House

and 1 more site!
Braidmead House
Ranked #1 of 9 Irvine B&B and Inns
Reviewed August 19, 2012

This guest house has always been well reviewed, and I share everything in regard to the quality of the accommodation, the welcome, the breakfasts, the owner, and it's many good points.
However, the most important part of an overnight stay, in any accommodation, is to have a good night's sleep, and this we did not have. it was warm on the day we arrived and I did notice that the windows were open in the room. The reason became apparent that evening. There is no airconditioning, so you need to keep the windows open - that lets the warm air out, but lets the outside noise in, and there was plenty of that. Considerable amount of traffic, with a taxi rank about 60 metres away, cars passing with loud bass music playing until the early hours, followed by passersby, mainly under the influence of alcohol, singing and shouting. There were even three women arguing loudly about which one of them had spent the taxi money, and how were they going to get home. There may well be some rooms at the back where this is not a problem, but if you are at the front, then certainly at weekends, you are bound to experience it
Everything else deserves praise, but, like I said, a good night's sleep is the most important.

Room Tip: Not a room at the front.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple

Reviewed August 6, 2012

I came to stay last Thursday and Friday night and I have to say I have never been to such a wonderful B&B. I stayed with my boyfirend and his family, we had travelled for 8 and a hlaf hours by car and the moment we arrived we felt welcome. Diane offered us a drink with biscuits which was a great treat after the travel. The bedrooms are amazing. They have lovely comfortable beds and a bathroom which is full of treats for you to use during your stay. Of course the sweeties that are left in the bedroom were a big hit with us. Each morning we were given options for breakfast, these ranged from Cereal, Yoghurts, Fruit, Eggs and Waffles, Boiled eggs and a Full Scottish Breakfast - I have never seen such a big plate of food. I recommend the Scottish Breakfast, fills you up for the day.

Diane and her son Gordon were so friendly from the moment we arrived and both took the time to find out about us. They made us feel so welcome in their home and helped us with anything we needed. We really didn't want to leave.

We will be back next time we are visiting the family and I will b recommending the B&B to anyone who needs a place to stay.

Thank you for everything.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed July 31, 2012

We have just returned from a 2 night stay at Braidmead House and were very impressed with it. On arrival we were greeted with a very friendly welcome from Diana and her son. Diana showed us up to our room which was immaculate with lovely fixtures and fittings, high quality linen, comfortable bed and a spotless shower ensuite with lovely fluffy towels. Nice little touches of complimentary toiletries, tea, coffee, biscuits amd some sweets. Diana then told us to get settled and she would have a nice pot of tea waiting for us in the lounge with some biscuits... and we were welcome to watch the olympics or whatever we wanted in there. .it is this friendly touch a home from home that you wouldn't find in a hotel. Diana was so welcoming and good to talk to with local knowledge and advise on where to go and where to avoid.

The breakfast was great and kept us going for a good while and the dining area is set out so you have the opportunity to chat to other people who are staying if you want to, adding to the friendly, relaxed atmosphere.

As we were leaving Diana said that it was the nice people that she has staying that makes her job so enjoyable and I would add that it is the hard work and hospitatlity of people like Diana who make the real difference between a good B & B and an excellent one that will stay in your memory. It is lovely to see someone who has such a passion for what they do and who really wants to make their guests stay comfortable and the best it can be. I would definitely recommend this B & B to anyone visiting or passing through Irvine. Thank you Diana and team.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 26, 2012

Excellent place to stay , highly recommended.
Very friendly welcome, the room was lovely and clean and looked brand new, the tray of sweeties were far too tempting!.
Excellent shower room, spotless
Really nice breakfast in a lovely setting, I would certainly stay again.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed July 25, 2012

I stayed for 3 nights with my 2 grandchildren and my niece. We were made so wellcome we felt like we were family.Diana, what a lovely friendly delightful lady.Jim and Gordon , They were great too.Nothing was too much bother for this family and they all went out of their way to help us. My grandkids havent stopped talking about it since we arrived home.Room was lovely, decorated to a very high standard and spotleess. Bed was a dream to sleep on too Power shower and enough towels ant toiletries for a month..Breakfast was excellent and there was plenty tea ,coffee,biscuits and sweeties.we were given a lift to the ferry and some tickets for the castle . i have heard the saying come as a guest and leave as a friend and this has certainly been the case at braidmead house.I would say this is the best we have ever stayed in and it has to be 10 out of 10. Thanks to you all we have some lovely memories and if we return to Irvine we would not go anywhere else. Well done, Diana, Jim, Gordon, and cant forget sam th dog, my grankids loved you all, in fact we all did.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed June 29, 2012

What a marvellous place to stay! Great hosts, Diane and Jim make you feel welcome in their home from the first time you say hello. Wonderful room, great facilities, breakfast - no words, roll me out in a wheelbarrow! Delicious. they couldn't do enough for me during my two night stay, so kind. I arrived at 10pm after a delayed flight, warm welcome offer of a cup of tea then the first of two great night's sleep in a very comfy bed. They have done a magnificent job on the refurbishment of this classic Ayrshire home.

Diane! I will be back. As she said to me "you can take the lassie out of Scotland but you'll never take Scotland out of the lassie" Thank you for everything

Room Tip: Although on my own I chose the superior double and got a room almost as big as my whole home. Being...
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank janicemg
Reviewed June 20, 2012

Braidwood House was towards the end of our month's tripping around Scotland & northern England. It wins hands down for the size & quality of the fittings in our room, & the whole house. What a beautiful restoration. Diana a real people person, Jim with a twinkle in his eye gave us some CD's of his favourite music to take home to Oz with us, then told us it was good music to play at a funeral or wake!! THis is not just a business for them but a passion.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple