“Not that great”

Dining options: Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Elgin, United Kingdom
“Not that great”
Reviewed April 6, 2013

I visited this restaurant on recommendations from friends as being a good place to eat. What I found was not the great Chinese eatery talked about but a very basic, poor service and expensive restaurant.

I sometimes struggle to understand how people can rate a venue as excellent, what can their scoring credentials be? Perhaps they haven’t had the opportunity to travel and eat in exceptional restaurants so their benchmark is not high enough.

So what’s good?

The food is hot and it seemed fresh.

What’s bad?

The whole place needs renovation, walls are tired, and tables are like being in a canteen.

No atmosphere what so ever. Other tables whispered to each other and the music was either not on or so quiet you didn’t notice it.

The service, we had 4 different people serve us, not one of them smiled and all they seem to rush us to finish. The place was empty, I didn’t understand the rush to have us finish.

The cost. I admit my mistake of not checking the price for the all you can eat option; it’s not something I will do again, as the cost in no way represented the food or the service we received.

• Visited April 2013
1 Thank Shanks85

“Always good”
Reviewed March 4, 2013

Eat here every time that I visit Elgin, would recommend you give it a try at least once. Good service, food nice and fresh, cooked to order, friendly staff, always attentive.

Visited March 2013
1 Thank kpe554
Elgin, United Kingdom
“Gone downhill”
Reviewed February 25, 2013

We have been visiting this restaurant for years, sit in and takeaway. The front of house appears to be run by young inexperienced staff who have attitude. We were told we couldn't order a dish that we've been getting for years, when questioned the young girl said ok then. After a long wait our takeaway arrived so I checked it before leaving and of course it was not what we ordered, when I questioned this she simply shrugged her shoulders and moved on to the next client.
So no we will definitely not be returning.

• Visited January 2013
1 Thank Trudydudy22
“Food was superb”
Reviewed February 16, 2013 via mobile

Food always hot and fresh only thing that let them down was we felt pushed out at 2 as it was closing so rushed to eat main coarse and desert

Oxford, United Kingdom
“Mmmmmmm yummy!!!!!!”
Reviewed February 14, 2013

Me and my partner went here on Monday night as we really couldn't be bothered to cook lol and fancied Chinese, we have been here about two years ago and the food was nice then we also read the reviews for the other Chinese restraurants in Elgin and they seemed hit and miss and none of the reviews for the emporer seemed bad so we decided to go here again and I'm glad we did. As I said it was a Monday so it was very quiet and we had the place to ourselves the service was good and we didn't feel rushed as you can normally find in a Chinese restaurant it might be that they were very quiet. The food is all you can eat ordering from the menu and you can try the whole menu if you really want to. The Mongolian lamb is something you should try if you like lamb and the "spicy" noodles are not something to be scared of as they have 3chillies next to them on the menu, a bit spicy but nice and go really nice with the lemon chicken. We WOULD go here again and would advise others to give it a go. Great food and great value for your money.

• Visited January 2013