“disapointment”
Review of Gordon & MacPhail

Gordon & MacPhail
Ranked #9 of 39 things to do in Elgin
More attraction details
Owner description: When James Gordon and John Alexander MacPhail announced the opening of their 'centrical and commodious premises' on South Street,Elgin, on 24th May 1895 they would be proud to see it still trading today. When you visit the shop you will be greeted with the aroma of home cooked local gammon, the largest selection of the finest cheeses available in North East Scotland and shelves packed with a fantastic array of high quality grocery products.No visit to the Gordon & MacPhail store would be complete without a visit to the Whisky Room. Stocking around 800 different single malt whiskies, the Whisky Room attracts customers from throughout the world to its crowded shelves. Browsing through the wide selection of whiskies, many of which are very old and extremely rare, you have entered the Aladdin’s Cave of whisky.
Useful Information: Food available for purchase, Bathroom facilities, Wheelchair access
Reviewed July 19, 2014

many whiskies in stock but compare the price with the whiskies at the Johnstons Cashmere foodcorner ! at Gordons the bittle was 76 Ukp while the same bottle was 52 ukp at Johnstons...

Reviewed May 21, 2014 via mobile

From chocolate to Whisky & shortbread to cold cooked meats & cheeses, Gordon & Mac Phail Deli in the very heart of Elgin has it all......what a totally wonderful family owned deli.

Staff are both friendly & helpful & are more than happy to offer advice.

All major brands & many lesser known brands of local Scotch Whisky are on sale; there is also a fantastic stock of wine & champagne from all over the world.

If you're heading to Elgin do yourself a favour & make time for a visit to Gordon & MacPhail......you won't be disappointed!!

1  Thank Marguerite W
Reviewed April 18, 2014 via mobile

Good, well stocked whiskey shop. Even if its just to have s look around this place will be worth a trip. You will also find wines, local beers, mests and other local delicatessen. Recomended.

1  Thank Tobias S
Reviewed November 8, 2013

Well done to Alistair for providing an excellent service on delivering a bottle of champagne to our relatives. Nothing was a problem and even phoned us when it was delivered. This was all done very quickly and efficiently. Two very happy people here in Ayrshire! Thanks for helping us make a special day Alistair! Really appreciate. John and Irene

1  Thank Irene42
Reviewed September 8, 2013

Visited their shop this week, but I must say I was disappointed. Nice historic house, no doubt, and their collection of whisky is quite unmatched, including some demolished/silent distilleries and others that are unlikely to be stocked elsewhere. However, their staff was a letdown: I asked for more information about two whiskies I was interested in buying but was not sure of, but in neither case could give more information than I could read on the bottle, nor offered a tasting. Although I understand those were "unusual" whiskies, I still expected more from a company of such reputation. They also could have some more souvenirs: I was hoping to find a whisky calendar or a clock. Sorry, but if this was the best G&M could offer for my effort to get to Elgin, then I could spend my time visiting a nearby distillery instead. I don't try to be harsh, but I can't give better than average rating.

1  Thank Marek90
RichardUrquhart, Manager at Gordon & MacPhail, responded to this reviewResponded September 11, 2013

Dear Marek,

Thank you for posting your review on Tripadvisor. We pride ourselves on delivering excellent customer service and we’re sorry it did not match your expectations on this occasion. We offer shop visitors samples from numerous distilleries from our range of over 1,000 whiskies, but for many whiskies, particularly those that are very unique and rare, I’m sorry, it is not possible. That said we acknowledge we could do more deliver in store information on our whiskies and we will take steps to improve this service.

Thank you for your feedback.

Kind regards,