“What a letdown” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Gordon & MacPhail

Gordon & MacPhail
Ranked #7 of 35 things to do in Elgin
More attraction details
Owner description: When James Gordon and John Alexander MacPhail announced the opening of their 'centrical and commodious premises' on South Street,Elgin, on 24th May 1895 they would be proud to see it still trading today. When you visit the shop you will be greeted with the aroma of home cooked local gammon, the largest selection of the finest cheeses available in North East Scotland and shelves packed with a fantastic array of high quality grocery products.No visit to the Gordon & MacPhail store would be complete without a visit to the Whisky Room. Stocking around 800 different single malt whiskies, the Whisky Room attracts customers from throughout the world to its crowded shelves. Browsing through the wide selection of whiskies, many of which are very old and extremely rare, you have entered the Aladdin’s Cave of whisky.
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities, Food available for purchase, Wheelchair access
Glasgow, United Kingdom
71 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 32 helpful votes
“What a letdown”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 8, 2013

Visited their shop this week, but I must say I was disappointed. Nice historic house, no doubt, and their collection of whisky is quite unmatched, including some demolished/silent distilleries and others that are unlikely to be stocked elsewhere. However, their staff was a letdown: I asked for more information about two whiskies I was interested in buying but was not sure of, but in neither case could give more information than I could read on the bottle, nor offered a tasting. Although I understand those were "unusual" whiskies, I still expected more from a company of such reputation. They also could have some more souvenirs: I was hoping to find a whisky calendar or a clock. Sorry, but if this was the best G&M could offer for my effort to get to Elgin, then I could spend my time visiting a nearby distillery instead. I don't try to be harsh, but I can't give better than average rating.

Visited September 2013
1 Thank Marek90
RichardUrquhart, Manager at Gordon & MacPhail, responded to this review, September 11, 2013
Dear Marek,

Thank you for posting your review on Tripadvisor. We pride ourselves on delivering excellent customer service and we’re sorry it did not match your expectations on this occasion. We offer shop visitors samples from numerous distilleries from our range of over 1,000 whiskies, but for many whiskies, particularly those that are very unique and rare, I’m sorry, it is not possible. That said we acknowledge we could do more deliver in store information on our whiskies and we will take steps to improve this service.

Thank you for your feedback.

Kind regards,

Gordon & MacPhail.

• Polish first
Eindhoven, The Netherlands
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“Historic company in a historic house! A must!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 30, 2013

A beautifull collection in the shop....... But there is so much more at G&M!
The staff did not ask anything at all.
They stayed behind there desk.
There was no contact, we didn't bought one bottle.

Elgin, United Kingdom
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Whisky fans”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 29, 2013

A trip to Gordon & McPhail in South Street is a must if you are keen to develop your understanding and appreciation of whisky but also if you are a connoisseur visiting Moray. There is a huge selection of whiskies as well as wines and a delicatessen counter. There is parking behind South Street off Moray Street as well as free 30 minute parking in a number of the side roads leading on to South Street. A good coffee can be had along South Street in Beaver Travel, there is also a well stocked music shop called Sound and Vision, a decent Indian restaurant and Yeadons bookshop. If you are after Scottish highland dress there is McCalls and Chuck McCalls. I recommend the latter.

1 Thank CHRIS I
Elgin, United Kingdom
“A must for whisky connoisseurs or just browsers”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 29, 2013

Gordon & MacPhail stock hundreds of whiskies and you're unlikely to find such a whisky treasure trove anywhere else in the north of Scotland. They also have wonderful cheeses, wines and other deli type groceries. If you're visiting Elgin, don't leave without a look.

Glasgow
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 16 helpful votes
“Don't go on a Monday lunchtime”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 30, 2012

Great deli and grocery shop and their wines and spirits sections are excellent. Beautifully clean and well presented. Lovely place to browse

A little more help from the staff in the whisky room would have been appreciated given the range. A smile and a greeting to a prospective customer wouldnt have gone amiss either.

Visited November 2012
RichardUrquhart, Manager at Gordon & MacPhail, responded to this review, April 9, 2013
Thank for bringing this to our attention. Here at Gordon & MacPhail we strive to deliver great customer service and this falls below our expectations. We will review your comments with the team.

Many thanks for your generous comments about the shop.

Kind regards,