“Fantastic Value” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #4 of 7 Hotels in Elgin
Fife
“Fantastic Value”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 24, 2009

Really enjoyed our stay here. From the minute we got to reception until the day we left the service was excellent. Very pleasant staff. Denny in the restaurant was very attentive and looked after us well, as did all his restaurant staff. Yes on the odd occasion we may have had to wait a little time, never for very long however, but the food was well worth the wait. Dinner each evening was fantastic and the breakfasts really set you up for the day. The rooms may be a bit small but are spotless. We had clean towels every day (stayed six nights). Dont be fooled by the exterior (a bit dated) the interior has a very modern feel. Would definitely visit again.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with friends
1 Thank Nikalous
gm_eightacres, D Macleod Hotel Manager at Eight Acres Hotel & Leisure Club, responded to this review, September 16, 2009
Thank you for taking the time to write such a lovely review regarding your recent stay with us at the Eight Acres, I will certainly pass your kind comments onto Denny and the chef regarding the food and service, was nice to see you stayed in the area and enjoyed the area its self always plenty to do and see. Again thanks for all your kind comments hope to see you back in Eight Acres soon.

Donald Macleod

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (128)
Staffordshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 12, 2009

We arrived at the Eight Acres Hotel after having an awful experience in another Crerar hotel in Pitlochry. We were dreading the trip after such a poor experience, but thankfully, it was like a different world!! Although the room was quite small it was very clean and the bed was huge. To be picky, it was extremely hot in the room, and the window wouldn't stay open unless we wedged a cushion in it, but apart from that it was fine.
We received excellent service from polite and helpful staff for our entire stay. The restaurant was wonderful, the food was really good, and the choices excellent. The staff could not do enough for us, and I feel I must praise in particular Denny and Fiona who both waited on us during our stay and made us feel so special and welcome. The Crerar group could do with sending staff from The Scotlands Hotel up to Elgin, to see how things really should be done!!

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank SallyStaffordshire
gm_eightacres, Donald Macleod Hotel Manager at Eight Acres Hotel & Leisure Club, responded to this review, August 19, 2009
Well Sally from Staffordshire thank you very much for all your fantastic comments after your very resent stay with us, we all get the odd bad night and have to dig deep to recover from previous mistakes in service somethings that you just can't control on the night I know the hotel in question will be trying very hard to rectify their problems,I know they have appointed a new operations manager to improve on service and quality he was my second for the last 4 years. Thank you again for all your kind words and we hope to see you up in Elgin again in the near future. I will indeed pass your praise onto both Denny & Fiona.

west midlands
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 6, 2009

great hotel, great staff, fantastic food , good location, will recommend this hotel to all my friends, thanks for a good Weeks stay, marion&phil

1 Thank pip1951
Marion & Phil thank you for your lovely comments please tell all your friends to come visit and I'm glad you had such a good break with us and we hope to see you and all your friends in the very near future.

east lothian, scotland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 3, 2009

Loved my four night stay in this hotel only complaint is the size of the rooms but everything else was excellent. The staff were excellent and couldn't do enough. Food was gorgeous and well presented and pool was pleasant. Will certainly be back here for a proper stay. Loved the restaurant staff in particular. Loved sitting in the nice peaceful conservatory. Rabbits in the grounds just made the place seem so peaceful.

1 Thank pigsmightfly_9
Thank you for taking the time and reviewing your experience with us. Not sure what room you had but most of our rooms are quiet spacious, next time you should try our suites. Good to read you enjoyed our chefs delights I know your comments will please him and his team. Your the second person to comment on the peaceful surroundings in so many weeks must be our little hoppers in the garden, I will of course pass your praise onto Thomas my food & beverage manager regarding his staff, again thank you for taking the time to write a review appreciated.

Dundee
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 3, 2009

We stayed at the Eight Acres for four nights. The external building does not reflect the internal modern, contemporary feel. The room was clean, very comfortable and had all the ususal facilities.
We enjoyed the leisure suite. On the downside the changing rooms are in need of upgrading, with plastic shower curtains! The pool although clean would benefit from fresh colours, not sure why an interior designer would suggest cerise pink and mustard decor. Pool, gym and squash courts great for teenagers.
The well constructed menu varied on a daily basis and reflected local produce, lots of lovely fresh fish and vegetarian options and a good selection of wines. The puddings were superb! Breakfast boasted a great choice and variety. Staff were friendly and helpful without being intrusive.
Free newspapers and internet access in the foyer
We enjoyed seeing the dolpins, visiting Fort George, the beach at Lossiemouth and Findhorn.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank happytravellerDundee
Was great to read your review of your resent stay with us, with regards to the leisure club colour scheme I agree the colours are very loud and I know the hotel has areas that need attention and we are slowly getting on with.Thank you for your comments with regard to our menus that will make chefs day.Was good to see you went out and enjoyed what's on our doorstep.

Mauchline, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 31, 2009

I stayed for 4 nights in this hotel and found it a reasonable stay. I had a single room which was very small and the furniture looked as if it was fitted when the hotel was built. The walls are very thin and you could hear conversations next door and in the corridor, doors banging and locks being turned. I was woken early on a couple of occaisions by other guests leaving thier rooms.
The standard of food was good,I had a bar meal one night but thought that the portion size was small compared to the price. The breakfast was fine but the service was a bit disorganised, on two mornings I was sat down at a table tforgotten about hen had to wait 10 minutes to have my order taken on another morning I was sat at a half set dirty table.
I booked this break through Expedia and thought I was getting a real bargain but I think I paid the proper value. If I was paying full price then I would have been more upset.
I sometimes feel that as a single guy, establishment think we arent bothered about standards of service but haveing worked in the industry for 15 years I know what level of service to expect and I feel this hotel fell a bit short.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled solo
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for taking the time to review your resent stay with us. “I know the hotel has areas that need attention and we are getting on with that but this is a hotel with bags of character and we want to retain that no matter what we do. Appologies that we got breakfast service wrong on a couple of occasions even a well oiled machine gets it wrong sometimes. I'd lwould say that all guests are treated equally even the single gent traveller is just as important as anyone else, I know i'm fussy. Again thanks for your comments appreciated.

perthshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 30, 2009

Just returned from a last minute deal at this hotel. Really enjoyed our stay. Smartly dressed, attentive staff. Lovely food with imaginitive menus. Dining room was well laid out with enough space between tables. Ou room was cosy with nice toiletries in the very clean bathroom. We enjoyed peaceful afternoons and evenings in the lounge overlooking the hotel gardens. Didnt use the leisure centre so can't comment on it. All in all , a very nice hotel that I would recomment to anyone looking for a peaceful break.

1 Thank highlandgirl48
Thank you taking the time to write a review about your last minute getaway, always good to read other peoples comments about their stay with and I'm glad your break was both relaxing and peaceful hope you took the time to watch all the bunnies in the garden.We've actually not long since we changed to our new suppliers of bathroom products and I agree their all very fresh, next time you get a chance to visit us take the time and enjoy our leisure club theirs something for everyone to use or even a wee swim. Look forward to your next visit.

Donald Macleod
Also consider these accommodations in or near Elgin
Golf View Hotel & Spa
#3 of 7 in Elgin
Stotfield Hotel
Stotfield Hotel
#2 of 2 in Lossiemouth

Been to Eight Acres Hotel & Leisure Club? Share your experiences!