“Great break”

Ranked #4 of 7 Hotels in Elgin
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
“Great break”
Reviewed November 9, 2008

My husband and I stayed at this hotel for his 40th birthday weekend on a B&B basis. The staff were very welcoming and friendly throughout our stay. We had our dinner at the hotel on the Saturday night which was my husbands birthday. We were not disappointed! The meal was beautiful, and contrary to other reviews on here, the service was quick and staff were very pleasant.
Our room (Rm 30) was lovely and cosy with a super king-sized bed (i think!).
We really didn't have any bad comments at all about the hotel, but i do think some improvements to the hotel bedroom doors and windows would be good as they're a bit dated and tatty.
Wish we'd had more time to make use of the swimming pool, jacuzzi etc as they looked fab and the lady on the reception down there was lovely!
Would love to come again.

• Liked — The peace and quiet
  • Disliked — The metal framed windows in the room made it look a bit cheap
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (133)
Somerset
Reviewed November 5, 2008

Having booked 4 night stay on a special telegraph break offer I was very disappointed and would not stay there again. The room I was allocated (Single) was disgusting. It was cold, uninviting, smelt, and damp ( water was running down inside the window). I complained straight away but was informed there were no other rooms available that night but I could have an upgrade (£15 per night) for the other three nights. To be fair the second room (double) allocated was better. The reception was unfriendly, there is no lift and I had to carry my case upstairs. On the whole there was nothing I could recommend from my stay at this hotel.

• Liked — suitable location
  • Disliked — the accommodation
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled solo
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Travelers are raving about these Elgin hotels

Aberdeen, Scotland
Reviewed November 5, 2008

I booked a suite as it was our 20th wedding aniversary but was first allocated to a standard room where you could not swing a cat. Phoned reception told them we booked a suite and was told there was none left. Allocated a superior room, it was beautiful but not what we had booked.
The meal was good but wedding guests from an adjoining room kept using the dining room to walk through to the bar. Some annoying guest even came into the dining room to use their mobiles. Little brats of kids starting running round the dining room and climbing onto chairs whilst we were trying to have a meal. Waitress did nothing to stop this.
Would I go again? Well since I have never had any response from the guest questionnaire I left at the reception then I guess no, I would not come again. Nothing off my bill for being allocated a suite and no apology for terrible dining experience in what should have been a romantic 2 nights away.

• Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
Oban
Reviewed October 22, 2008

We absolutly loved our stay - we were checked in by we think the hotel Manager - who was very friendly and helpful. He was able to advise us on what to see and do in the area. (The distilleries were just as good as he described!!!!)

We were pleased with our large light and airy room that had obviously recently been refurbished.

The restaurant was excellent and the food was super - we felt the service was a little slow but the staff were polite and it was obvious they were busy.

We would definatly return to this hotel and would recommend it to family and friends.

• Liked — Friendly staff and delicious food
  • Disliked — Nothing really
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
gm_eightacres, General manager at Eight Acres Hotel & Leisure Club, responded to this review, October 23, 2008
Dear Guests,

Thank you for your positve feedback and the team are delighted that you enjoyed your stay. We are currently working on links with more distilleries in the area, as well as packages for people with a ral interest in local food and whisky. Keep an eye on our website for details coming out soon!

Haste ye back!

lmb168
Reviewed October 9, 2008

We booked this hotel for after our wedding for only 12 guests. Some of our guests had trouble booking in, and were told there was no room for them, had to wait 20 mins for one to be found. On departure, two of our guests were charged the wrong price, aswell as for another rooms drinks. On arriving back to the hotel after we got married we were told we couldn't use the garden for photos as a larger wedding was due back which took priority. The day of my wedding my room was not cleaned, and we did not receive our champagne hamper. The menu was not as agreed, however this was changed for us, and the waiting staff and food was to a very high standard. A very nice hotel, clean and majority of the staff are friendly. Overall we were disappointed with our experience.

• Liked — Nice rooms, good decor, generally clean and tidy.
  • Disliked — Room not cleaned daily, no clean towels, very disappoiting.
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
gm_eightacres, General Manager at Eight Acres Hotel & Leisure Club, responded to this review, October 22, 2008
Dear Guests,

Thank you for your constructive feedback, which is always welcome. I am sorry that there were some aspects of your day that were a disappoinment to you and as we are already in direct communication I will address those points directly with you.

Yours sincerely

Oslo
Reviewed September 28, 2008

First off i just have to say that the hotel itself was very good. The rooms were clean and tidy, the beds were good and the staff was always polite and very helpful. However, the restaurant had some very big issues. We stayed on a DBB and booked our table in good time before dining. Now, before i start complaining i want to say that the food served here was excellent, so compliments to the chef!! Even though we were seated right away, that's where the good things stop. We had to wait almost 20 minutes before someone came and took our order, no drinks were offered and we had to ask three times for a winelist. When the wine finally arrived (another 10 minutes after the starters) it was placed by our table and the waiter left. We then had to try to get the attention of one of the waiters so we could get someone to open the wine. Their excuse for not opening the wine was that the waiter who served the wine was new. I don't care how new you are, when you are working as a waiter you should know that the bottle has to be opened before someone can drink it. The waiting time between each course was always way too long, and the meal took us 2,5 hours in total. The first night we excused the whole thing because there was a big wedding there that night, so we just thought the poor service was due to the workload related to the wedding. Breakfast the next morning was selv-served and very good, so we came back for dinner the second night and it was just as bad as the night before, but no wedding this time. And finally breakfast the last morning was not selv-served and was just as bad as the two dinners. I really think it's a shame that the impression of a very nice hotel and an even better kitchen is dragged all the way to the bottom due to the poor service in the restaurant.

• Liked — Hotell staff
  • Disliked — Restaurant staff
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
gm_eightacres, General Manager at Eight Acres Hotel & Leisure Club, responded to this review, October 1, 2008
Dear Guest

Thank you for your contructive criticism and I am joined by the team in sharing your disappointment that on this occaision we did not meet our own standards of service in the restaurant. We really are very sorry. We have been working hard to try and improve all aspects of the guest experience including a major refurbishment and a real focus on food with our new Head Chef. I am heartened that at least you enjoyed those aspects of your stay.
Your assessment is correct in that particular weekend we were let down by some members of the team leaving us short handed. That said we are currently recruiting for new staff and have also employed an experienced Operations Manager to lead the training and deliviery of customer service standards.
Thanks once again for your comments and if you have any further queries then please feel free to contact me off line.

Glasgow
Reviewed September 24, 2008

My husband and I stayed here for 4 nights Mon to Fri and it was a good base for touring round Scotland. The staff were friendly and the room and food was excellent. I really enjoyed the restaurant and the menu was varied and the food delicious! especially the Angus beef. Will drop by again.

L Moss

• Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
gm_eightacres, General Manager at Eight Acres Hotel & Leisure Club, responded to this review, September 26, 2008
Dear Guest

Thank you very much for your positive feedback and the team are delighted you had an enjoyable stay. We hope to welcome you back soon to the crerar Eight Acres.

Kind regards

Michael Pickford, General Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Elgin
Golf View Hotel & Spa
#7 of 7 in Elgin
Stotfield Hotel
Stotfield Hotel
#2 of 2 in Lossiemouth

Been to Eight Acres Hotel & Leisure Club? Share your experiences!