“disappointed stay”

Eight Acres Hotel & Leisure Club
Ranked #4 of 7 Hotels in Elgin
Reviewed September 23, 2012

My husband and I stayed at the above hotel for 5 nights,utterly disappointed that the facilities for disabled people were very poor.There were no visible designated disabled parking at the front of
the hotel .A ramp was available outside but difficult to access because of overgrown foilage.
Our room was very clean and airy but access to all rooms was up 2 flights of stairs which I found very difficult.a lift would be benificial .
The food in the restaurant was very good,but breakfast was not up to standard,on 3 occasions food had to be sent back to the kitchen to be cooked properly,the tables were cluttered with dirty dishes and the waiting staff were very harassed.We were both looking forward to our break but this hotel let us down .

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
gm_eightacres, General Manager at Eight Acres Hotel & Leisure Club, responded to this reviewResponded September 24, 2012

Many thanks for your review, we are able that the hotel is not ideal for guests with disabilities, however the expenditure to put in a lift lies with our head office, I will however pass on your comments. I am positive that our staff ensure all guests are aware of access difficulties prior to arrival however.

Reviewed September 23, 2012

We had a lovely meal at the Eight Acres Hotel. I had never visited the hotel before and had not previously heard any reviews but I was very impressed. We had a meal in the restaurant which overlooks the garden and has a lovely atmosphere. It is spacious and nicely laid out and the staff were all very friendly. The food was delicious and very well presented. That was our first visit but it certainly won't be the last - we will definitely visit again.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends

Many thanks for your lovely review, with a new head chef and new waiting teams in place it is great to hear such positive feedback early on. We are delighted you will be returning to us, thank you!

Reviewed September 22, 2012

Four of us booked a spa day recently at the above hotel, the hotel its self was very pleasing and our spa day was great value for money,The changing room was well set out and well maintained. Our therapist Deborah was very polite and professional, unfortunately the same could not be said for the supply of necessary equipment. There were no footwear nor robes available due to shortage, which meant between the pool and treatment areas we had to wrap a towel round us, which is not what is advertised. The seating/waiting area is not what you would call suitable when you are wraped in a towel trying to cover yourself as it is in front of the main door/gym and window area, with tables and chairs more suitable for a cafe so we sat in the changing area and waited for Deborah to collect each of us for our treatment. This is a great package and i would recommend, but the seating and lack of robes does let it down.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
3  Thank Jacqui F

Many thanks for your review, we are pleased you all enjoyed the spa day. We have taken on board your comments with regards to robes and seating arrangements and where possible will make improvements.

Reviewed September 22, 2012

We have just returned from a 4-night stay at this hotel. We were shocked to find that the hotel has virtually no facilities for disabled people. There are no disabled parking bays and lighting in the car parking areas is extremely poor. The hotel is very busy and if we went out in the evening we would not be able to park anywhere close to the hotel entrance as all the spaces would be taken. The alternative was to park in an unpaved area and walk along an unlit, tree-lined road to the hotel. This was not suitable for me to do on my own if I dropped my husband off at the hotel entrance before parking but difficult and dangerous for him if we walked together. There is a ramp leading to the entrance but this is tucked away in a corner and there are no markings to stop people parking right across it, which happened every night we were there. While we understand that the cost of adaptations for disabled people can be prohibitive, it should be entirely possible to provide two or three dedicated parking bays in front of the hotel and a no-parking area in front of the ramp.
We ate in the lounge on one evening and in the restaurant one evening and on both occasions the food and service were of a high quality. Breakfast, however, is another matter. Tables were not properly cleaned and replenished - sugar, jam/marmalade not replaced, milk jug empty - and the cereals, milk and juices in the self-serve area were not replenished regularly. One morning the yoghurts were past their use-by date. On the last morning no-one came to take our order for hot food until we had finished our cereal, tea, coffee and toast. The quality of the hot food at breakfast was, at best, adequate.
The hotel is in an excellent location and the staff are pleasant and helpful but overall this was a disappointing stay and well below the standard we would expect for £139 a night.

Room Tip: If you need space, book a junior suite, but this is costly. If you are disabled, look for another h...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple

Many thanks for your review. We do ensure that all guests are aware that we do not have a lift and our bedrooms are not accessible without using stairs, our public areas are however accessible by disabled guests. I will pass your comments on to our head office as expenditure on a lift and other access is outwith my authority as manager.
I have discussed your other comments with my team and will action accordingly.

Reviewed September 19, 2012

Stayed there last week and after my initail dissapointment at the exterior, I was pleasantly surprised at the interior, which was relaxing and contemporary. The evening meal was rather stressful as the staff seemed thin on the ground and disorganised. There were quite a few complaints from other guests, regarding late arrival of courses or not taking their orders in the first place. The waitresses were pleasant, however appeared to be untrained. The complaints from others did detract from the ambience, infact the atmosphere was more akin to a school dining hall. It was a pity as the quality of the food that evening was excellent.
We did not have a comfortable night's sleep as the bed was very hard, although I appreciate this may suit others. Our room faced a busy road and due to the aluminium windows which were inadequate at keeping out noise, we had little sleep. On leaving we advised the reception staff of our problems but no apology or excuse was offered. We will not be returning as we did not have a pleasant stay.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Olitaric
gm_eightacres, General Manager at Eight Acres Hotel & Leisure Club, responded to this reviewResponded September 21, 2012

Many thanks for taking the time to review your stay, your comments are disappointing and I will discuss with my team to ensure improvements are made. Our waiting team has had an overhaul in the last few weeks and we are in the process of training them, I will ensure this is ongoing. My apologies that you did not have a good nights sleep, we are aware of issues with the windows, however this large scale improvement is something that would take time to improve.
Thank you once again for your comments.

Reviewed September 13, 2012

My partner and I stayed here for one night at the start of September as I was taking part in the Moray Marathon the following morning. It was a last minute booking so we didn't get the cheapest deal available, though my overall impression of the hotel was fairly good.

It is in quite a dated looking building but the reception and public areas have been upgraded nicely. The corridors could definitely do with some modern decor though, and the bedroom door with the clumpy actual key lock seems dated given what modern hotels offer these days.
However, the room itself was bright and clean with a lovely big window which opened on to a nice view. It was on the small side but not cramped. The bed was very comfortable and we got an excellent night's rest.

We took advantage of the pool and sauna facillities to relax in the afternoon. These were clean and quiet, but describing the pool as peaceful and private is somewhat inaccurate as the fitness suite looks on to the pool and you will feel the eyes of bored exercisers upon you as you walk around scantily clad!

I was disappointed with breakfast - it is not served until 8am on a Sunday. I was told that a continental breakfast would be available from 7am but what they really meant was cereal and warm fruit juice. A cup of coffee and some toast at the very least would have been appreciated.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
gm_eightacres, General Manager at Eight Acres Hotel & Leisure Club, responded to this reviewResponded September 17, 2012

Many thanks for your review of the hotel following your recent stay. We have taken on board your comments for improvement, the hotel does operate a rolling maintenance programme. With regards to the window between the gym and the pool, unfortunately this is for health and safety reasons so that the staff are able to view the pool at all times.
My apologies with regards to your breakfast, the night porter should absolutely have served hot drinks and toast outwith normal service times, I will ensure they are trained going forward and my apologies once again. We hope you will return to stay with us in future.

Reviewed September 10, 2012

My wife and I have just returned from a short break at the hotel and really loved it. The food was great, beer even better and the staff were absolutety brillaint with us (they even got the sun to shine).Only thing I will need to remember when we return is to take a bigger bag of sweets for them.

Dougie & Jan McNee

1  Thank Dougie M
gm_eightacres, General Manager at Eight Acres Hotel & Leisure Club, responded to this reviewResponded September 12, 2012

Many thanks for your lovely review of the hotel, we are delighted you enjoyed your stay with us and we look forward to welcoming you back in the future.