“Comfortable stay” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #5 of 7 Hotels in Elgin
Nottingham
“Comfortable stay”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 16, 2013

Stayed one night, in a ground floor room which opened off the car park and suited us well. It was simply but attractively decorated and had comfortable beds and a spacious modern en suite. The staff were helpful and let us leave our luggage early so we could go and explore the town, which is only a short walk away. Minor downsides were that the breakfast room decor was a bit old-fashioned and breakfast a bit dull if you didn’t want a cooked one.

Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Wross1, Owner at Sunninghill Hotel, responded to this review, October 17, 2013
Thank you for your kind remarks and we are glad you enjoyed your stay with us.

I am sorry you felt our breakfast room was dated but we have tried to keep the decor in the old house in keeping with the age of the property.

We still cook all our breakfasts to order rather than have a buffet service as we feel this is better. However, I am sorry you felt the fresh fruit, yogurt, dried fruit and cereals lacking for your needs. if you had an special requests our ladies would have tried their best to give you what you would have liked.

I do hope you would stay again if you were in this area. Thank you for your comments and we taken them on board.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Scotland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 13, 2013

Great staff , great food.. Wanted Scampie, asked if was actual prawns, & not a mish mash of fish some serve.
Staff went & asked owner, who promptly phoned local fish provider in Lossie to check.
Should tell you much about a hotel that hides nothing & totally up front.
Lovely meal, the homemade sweet was to die for.congratulations to the chef
Thoroughly enjoyable meal, will return again very soon

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
Wross1, Owner at Sunninghill Hotel, responded to this review, October 14, 2013
Thank you very much for your kind review and i am very pleased you were pleased with our service.

I do hope we can be of service to you again.
Dundee, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 7, 2013

This was my second visit to this hotel and again it was fantastic. Food was absolutely amazing and staff are so friendly and are helpful and make you feel so relaxed that your stay is even more enjoyable. It's like being at home. Have been recommending the hotel to everyone and I will most definitely be back.

• Stayed September 2013
Wross1, Owner at Sunninghill Hotel, responded to this review, October 8, 2013
Thank you very much for your kind review.
I am very glad you enjoyed your stay with us and I have passed on to the staff your comments as it is always good to get some positive feedback.
I hope we shall cater for you again.
Forres, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 2, 2013 via mobile

Stayed for 2 nights on business and found the rooms lacking privacy and discretion.
The walls are paper thin to start I had the pleasure of a snoring gent next to me as well as the tv's and goings on of the rooms above and on the same floor. The doors are poor fitting so every door slam and footstep is heard in the corridor. It became apparent that the extractor fans in all rooms were as noisy as mine. It is deafening in the bathroom and the other rooms extractors vibrated the walls of my room. The bed was comfy enough but with rock hard feather pillows and annoyingly flamboyant "scatter" cushions that were cast to the floor each night it wasn't a pleasant nights sleep. On to breakfast I expected a half decent cooked one. Advised after ordering that there were no beans left which seemed odd for a primarily B&B hotel. So just bacon and eggs. The bacon was cooked perfect abd tasted of relatively good quality, however my pet hate is eggs poached in oil rather than properly fried. They arrived with the bacon but the plate was swimming in oil and for the first time in my life had to blot the plate with a paper napkin. I don't understand why eggs are done that way when your avaerage roadside van can do them on mass on a griddle no problem.
I didn't eat in the hotel again regardless.
I think they have tried to keep up by investing in shiny TVs but this isn't good enough and I'll be asking my company to remove them from the preferred hotel list.

Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Wross1, Owner at Sunninghill Hotel, responded to this review, October 14, 2013
We were very sorry to read your unfavourable review of our hotel.

We only wish you had made your dissatisfaction known to us at the time and hopefully we could have dealt with your problems.

We have had a happy relationship with your local company for a long time and are sorry you found our service and accommodation not to your liking.

We have an on going refurbishment programme and try to keep our property in the bet condition.

Sorry for your disappointment.
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 19, 2013 via mobile

... and if I had to choose between a 5 star chain hotel and this one, it would win every time. Having pre booked a holiday let in Lossiemouth that turned out to be smelly, sticky and dirty on arrival (avoid 3 loxa court if you are visiting!) the sunning hill put us up at very short notice in a room that catered for my broken leg. Not only that, they ven installed a ramp for the wheelchair and parked their own car outside the room when we were out so that we could have the accessible space back upon our return. All this was with 20 minutes' notice of our arrival. The full restaurant menu was available as room service and there was no invidious 'tray charge' - the tax on eating in comfort that more highly rated hotels slap on. I could not recommend highly enough.

Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Wross1, Owner at Sunninghill Hotel, responded to this review, September 20, 2013
We are really glad you enjoyed your stay with us and thank you for the very kind review.

We hope your leg is back to normal soon.

Best regards

Winnie ross
Siena, Italy
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2013

I visited the Sunninghill Hotel in August 2013 with my scottish friend and we were really looking forward to a 'true' scottish experience. Unfortunately our meal order was lost and after 45 minutes we started to inquire about our food. The Manager and the staff were very apologetic and gave us the meal and wine for free which was really very kind of them.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
      Sleep Quality
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Wross1, Owner at Sunninghill Hotel, responded to this review, September 6, 2013
I can only apologise for the mistake with your meal order again but I do hope you enjoyed the rest of your stay with us.
Norwich, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 16, 2013

Have just had four nights at the hotel and found the rooms very comfortable - breakfast also great. The menu for dinner was very wide but not cheap and we also expected to eat in the restaurant but had to use the bar/conservatory. My only real complaint was that there is not adequate parking as the car park was usually filled with non-resident diners and it was not easy to find a space. We had to use off-road parking on two evenings - if I had been there on my own as a single woman I would not have been comfortable with this.

Room Tip: We were in Rooms 17 and 19 and did not gave any noise problems