All reviews pay times james watt sea view stayed here for one night great value for money the river luxury lidl plumbing ferry
Selected filters
Reviewed May 8, 2016

This is not a hotel, it's a hostel. It is a student hall of residence which is now used for private letting, but has not been altered at all. I needed somewhere cheap to lay my head for one night and it was fine- I would have been disappointed if I was there for a holiday. However I got a friendly welcome from the caretaker, and had a shower and a good night's sleep. Also there is a kitchen/ breakfast room, with a fantastic view. There was some noise from people hanging about in the carpark, but thid didn't go on late.

Room tip: Facing the sea would probably be quieter, and the view on that side is great.
Date of stay: May 2016
  • Trip type: Traveled solo
1  Thank Tim B
Management response:Responded March 28, 2017

Thank you for your review. Your comments have been noted. Since your stay, we have had a large refurbishment on the entire building and everything has been replaced. The rooms have all been redecorated and have new furniture, carpets, bedding, television and tea and coffee making facilities. I hope that, if you are in this area again, you will come back and see all the changes that we have made.

Reviewed April 7, 2016

Firstly given the key to a room which was already occupied. First impressions of the room was that there was a smell in the bathroom. In the morning when we opened a picnic bag to have some food for breakfast it was crawling with bugs. The building overlooks the River Clyde and has lovely views. With a huge upgrade this could be a lovely place to stay.

Date of stay: April 2016
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple
2  Thank RiceNI
Reviewed March 20, 2016

This is really a student hostel, and a bit better than my student accommodation in the 1970's. It was very cheap, so good value, in a small room with shared kitchen. No breakfast or meals provided, though there are pubs and restaurants just a few minutes away. It's absolutely fine for a night or two if you want something economical and you're working in the area.

Date of stay: March 2016
1  Thank Duncan G

Reviewed March 18, 2016

I have been here for three nights and regret my booking. If I could move I would. I was given a room that hadn't been properly cleaned , had no toilet paper or towels and when I had a shower the very small ensuite flooded. Paint from the tiles lifted, stuck to my feet and ended up on the carpet and in my bed. I have to walk up two flights of stairs and try to put a combination into a lock in order to get onto my floor in total darkness ( they said they'd fix the stairwell lights but it's now night three and it's not fixed) . Dangerous especially for women on their own. The man who initially greeted me couldn't be bothered helping and cracked jokes about how dumb I was when I couldn't figure out the combination to unlock the front door on my own. Even though one staff member has been helpful this has still been one of my worst experiences travelling so far. Loud party tonight. The view doesn't make up for this at all, at least for me. Don't spend your money here if there are alternatives.

Date of stay: March 2016
  • Trip type: Traveled solo
1  Thank bertiebeetle1
Management response:Responded March 28, 2017

We care about our guests!
We were not aware of any of these problems.
Had we been made aware we would have offered a change of room.
Sounds like this room had not been prepared for a visitor and keys should not
have been given out.
We do Care about our guests.
Our rooms have all been upgraded adding new facilities New Beds, Bedding,
TV, Tea and Coffee making facilities, new carpets and new curtains.
Since March 2016 we have made a number of changes and recently we received
Three Star Rating from Scottish Tourism Board. Thomas Bryce Manager

Reviewed February 25, 2016

Residences with en suite rooms, all very small and basic, with bathrooms where a fat person would not fit.
Nevertheless I got to be in one of the rooms in the top floor facing the river and, having to stay for a couple of months in Greenock for a job appointment, I do not think I'll change the view I have from my room for any first class hotel in the neighborhood: it is simply astonishing ! The people in charge are also very nice and do try to fulfill all your needs.
The only two drawbacks: the size of the rooms and the cleanliness - or lack of...- of the common areas and the rooms themselves.

Date of stay: February 2016